+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, UPS's in Technical; Hey guys. Looking at some new servers but to accompany them i'm looking at a UPS. so here goes: 2 ...

Thank Post

UPS's

Hey guys.

Looking at some new servers but to accompany them i'm looking at a UPS.
    so here goes:

2 servers x 800w power supplies = 1600w
    2 servers x 700w power supplies = 1400w
    = 3kW

So.... i'm figuring that a UPS that provides power of 3+kW will be fine?
    Currenty looking at This one which seems a complete bargin. Thoughts anybody?

Thank Post

Re: UPS's

You might like to try http://apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm - stick in your servers and how much uptime you want and it will give you a few options.

BTW - I can definately recommend the SNMP management card on the APC UPSs... also means that you won't need 5 serial cables and expanders to shutdown your servers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Make sure the switche the servers and the UPS is plugged into are on the UPS as well... 8)

Thank Post

Cheers guys.

Might have known you 2 were still online.....

any thoughts on the one i posted.... 5 kW for around 1k. I know it's not an APC but still.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts

MGE are a good one to look at, and as APC and MGE are part of the same firm the product range is much better potential. MGE used to be more industry in my view than APC but there products are often cheaper and the batterys are better in that they don't split and leak like the APCs seem to. They do all the same enviro monitoring, snmp stuff etc so they are just as clever. So they may be worth looking into, another good make is Liebert, have had them before and they are good kit, again often well priced. With APC you seem to be buying the name a bit much now, but hopefully the fact that MG bought them the name may vanish a little

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    You might like to try http://apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm - stick in your servers and how much uptime you want and it will give you a few options.

BTW - I can definately recommend the SNMP management card on the APC UPSs... also means that you won't need 5 serial cables and expanders to shutdown your servers.
    Maybe i'm missing something but i've tried the APC thing, stuck in the servers (5) and a switch and they say i only need an UPS with 3.7 kW. Each one of the servers i've looked at say they have 2 power supplies, which equals 10 for the 5 servers, yet the APC recommended ones only have 8. I'm guessing that i wont really need to use both supplies, if i'm using a UPS, unless one just fails.

Thank Post

@Lee_K_81: I expect that the redundant PSU is an optional extra and that will be why it is not included (by default at least)... the servers won't be using both at once anyway so it won't affect the power consumption.

Something I should have mentioned was to experiment with the runtime and spare capacity... it may not cost a lot more to buy a solution that can provide an extra 5 or 10 minutes and give you capacity for another server or two (hence reducing costs next time you add a server).

The APC Power Distribution Units (PDUs) are quite nice too. Stick it all in an APC rack and it all looks very nice (guess what I did!)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    it may not cost a lot more to buy a solution that can provide an extra 5 or 10 minutes and give you capacity for another server or two (hence reducing costs next time you add a server).
    The bloody hoops i'm having to jump through at the moment to replace some 500 MHz & 900MHz servers is amazing. They're like well didnt we just buy a server last year... erm yes, that was for email, these will be for CMIS/eportal and a web server. Considering we have a budget labelled ICT infrastructure, which i'm not in charge of (moot point), i'm having to write a huge proposal to get the to consider thin clients, and replace a few servers. grrrr

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts

The APC configurator is good just because your server has 2 or 3 psu's doesn't mean they are all running at max all the time.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information