+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Replacing the innards of Viglen Omnino II in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK You can't even get a smooth screen capture with Expression Encoder using integrated i3 graphics, they ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You can't even get a smooth screen capture with Expression Encoder using integrated i3 graphics, they really are weak and are easily outperformed by previous solutions that were integrated on motherboards of Core 2 gear.
    Could this be the fault of Expression Encoder? Don't you need v4.0 SP1 to do live screen capture which was only released last month?

Looking at benchmarks, Intel's HD Graphics 3000 isn't too bad, but I would much rather have a discrete card from AMD or nVidia such as the £42 Radeon HD 5570.

HD Graphics 3000 is a huge step forward. At 71.5 fps itís 70% faster than Clarkdaleís integrated graphics, and fast enough that you can actually crank up some quality settings if youíd like. The higher end HD Graphics 3000 is also 26% faster than a Radeon HD 5450.

What Sandy Bridge integrated graphics canít touch however is the Radeon HD 5570. At 112.5 fps, the 5570ís compute power gives it a 57% advantage over Intelís HD Graphics 3000. (Source)

Thank Post
    The board was chosen because it is MicroATX, the same as the case has in it now - so it'd be a straight swap mounting-wise.
    And there aren't any CPU fan ducts in the ones we have.
    The only reason I asked is because it is the most expensive of the Micro ATX ASUS H67 boards, there is a possible saving of about £25-£30 to be made of you do not require all of the extras of the top end board. Also the -LX -LE versions are not as wide which will make it slightly easier to cable and get the lids back on. I presumed you need the -EVO or -PRO model for the four dimm slots and intend to run dual channel and leave yourself two slots for the future.

Core i3 vs Core i5 for graphics well if we are talking Core 2010 then the Core i3 & i5 used the same graphics configuration (excluding i5-661 which had a slightly higher clock of 900Mhz instead of 733Mhz) so there really is not much in it, if you were seeing a performance difference this would mot likley be down to the CPU more then the onboard GPU. For Core 2011 as mentioned by Arthur Intel have decided to run with two grpahics configurations HD 2000 & HD 3000 with the latter only in the high end chips (I have no idea why), the HD 2000 is ok and can mostly hold its own vs AMD's top end 890GX chipset.

There is a really good review of the Core 2011 Sandy Bridge parts over at Anandtech it is well worth a read The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Could this be the fault of Expression Encoder? Don't you need v4.0 SP1 to do live screen capture which was only released last month?
    Could be but it does not explain it working fine on other systems with more powerful GPUs and less powerful cpus. I agree that discreet cards are much better but often you don't need them for most stuff as long as they are not complete junk.

I have put in a few 6870 GPus that support eyefinity into a dev place, they are really impressive when they are are running four moniters and not breaking a sweat at all.

Edit: With ref to PeterW's post above it may have been a bit to do with the motherboards aswell as the i5s were in nice hp elite 6100 systems and the i3s were in custom low end builds. My observations stand though, the i3s could not cope with some simple tasks that the i5 could. Not sure if they were the ones with the better GPUs but they could run the encode. So could some 3 year old AMD x2 systems so what does that say about the i3 in some scenarios.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 13th March 2011 at 11:36 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Licences will need to be updated (as mentioned before), however if you speak with MS they usually do a deal where you can transfer the licences, as long as the stickers stay with the machines. The fee for this is around £20 per licence if I remember rightly.
    Ooh, that's handy to know, not come accross that before - many thanks.

Thank Post
    So could some 3 year old AMD x2 systems so what does that say about the i3 in some scenarios.
    Ahh ok as you say somethig must have been up with the config of those i3s as the only real difference is the turbo boost for the cpu clock.

I agree that discreet cards are much better but often you don't need them for most stuff as long as they are not complete junk.
    100% agree with this.

Thank Post
    yes i agree -change the motherboard and you will have to fork out some dosh for a new license - however thanks to a lovely german court you can purchase a new OEM disc very cheaply on ebay i paid approx £19.00 for a full xp pro sp3 disc it cxame with a useless piece of hardware from the original machine which had been working from a server addition (had not been installed or activated ). what i,ll be doing is changing my 80gb hd to a 320gb 7200rpm (ex skybox) and install 4gb ram and may be change my p4 3.4ghz to a duel core version ,haven,t decided yet . do you think that will make my xp pro fly

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12