+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Proximity card systems in Technical; Ok I've just loaded up the SALTO admin program on my pc. As well as the defaults there are also ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Ok I've just loaded up the SALTO admin program on my pc.

As well as the defaults there are also 3 customisable fields avaiable, one we use for job title but another could be used for ad username therefore if the printers rfid reader can read this piece of data it could lookup by username.

Ben

Thank Post
    Cheers plexer, you've been a wonderful help!

Last question, lost card...how do you remove them from the system? simply delete the unique ID from the users field in AD or is there a SALTO piece of software that you use to remove the card from the system? I guess assigning a new card is as easy as plonking the new unique ID into the AD field and/or salto system?

Thank Post
    Ooo another question as well, on the door system do they keep a log of who opened them and when?

Thank Post
    Ok scrub my previous idea that field only gets added to the db it doesn't get written to the card.

Each card has a validity period i.e 7 days but that can be set to whatever you want.

After seven days if it hasn't been presented at an online reader it expires and will not operate any battery handle doors until it's presented to an online reader.

If a card is stolen then you just cancel a users key and issue them a new one the blacklist of lost/stolen keys is transferred to every lock.

Everything is logged, openings , failed openings, even if a door is opened by the switch on reception and which side of the door.

Ben

5. Thanks to plexer from:

mrbios (4th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Just an update to my previous post about recording extra data on the cards and there is a configuration option to do so.

Ben

Thank Post
    Excellent cheers

I've just been trying to work out some very inaccurate estimated costs and i think to everything they want would cost in the region of 35000 That said, i did add more to the idea than was needed purely for the sake of a maximum estimate, something tells me it'll be rolled out over the course of 3-5 years

EDIT: also can doors be programmed only to open for certain cards? EG our server room door setup only to open for us?

EDIT2: scrap that 35000 figure, i didn't notice the cheaper wireless solutions haha. Do you have to use SALTO supplied gateways and repeaters? how much do they cost or are they included in your figures you had on your price comparison sheet?
    Last edited by mrbios; 4th March 2011 at 12:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Plexer: i forgot to ask, how customisable are the actual cards? Can you put school logo, user picture and information on them etc? as this is another one of the heads requirements i've yet to explore.

Thank Post
    Yes you need to use the salto wireless hubs and repeaters if you want online monitoring of your battery doors however atm I am waiting for them to enhance that product line with poe versions.

The prices in my document were based on wireless upgradable handles, the wireless upgrade is approx 60 on top of that but can be fitted by yourself at a later date.

You do not need to have the battery handles connected via wireless to monitor what goes on on those doors as everybody audit trail from their card is uploaded anytime they validate themselves at an online door or online update point.

SALTO can also do maglocked doors with an offiline controller as well, they card is really the key to the whole system.

SALTO also do euro cylinders and now even rim cylinders as well.

Our cards are printed with the school logo, staff picture, staff name and job title.

Ben

10. Thanks to plexer from:

mrbios (4th March 2011)

Thank Post
    And yes you can completely control who can access what doors so your IT staff can be the only ones with the server room and possibly your sitemanager but however you want it.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks yet again plexer, from the sounds of things it does everything we require and more, you've certainly given me enough information that i can go away write up a report on it for the head and contact a local supplier for price and further information.

Appears the company that does our alarm and CCTV systems also supplied and installed a SALTO door system in a local school, we're off to look at that school on tuesday morning and we have the local company coming in to look around and quote us for accurate pricing on tuesday afternoon Ah i love it when a plan comes together

Thank Post
    I have another question!

Is it possible to set time locks? So that a door only works during set times of the day? or even better so that a door only works for specific members of staff during a given time of day?

Thank Post
    Yes you can and you can also have automatic open periods on maglocked doors and also on the battery handle doors too if you wish.

To clarify you can for instance only give your cleaners access to doors in the school during their working hours but at no other times, restrict teachers to mon - fri basically any combination you desire.

I would think that all access control systems can do everything I've mentioned but I just find the flexibility of the SALTO battery stuff to be emense.

Ben

15. Thanks to plexer from:

mrbios (7th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks your all your help plexer, can you name two other companies that provide similar systems? i need to get quotes from 3 different companies though we're going to push for SALTO as from the sounds of things it's perfect for what we're after

Thank Post
    Not sure if it will help but we use these guys Access It Data Ltd. We have Access Control on Doors, Time Schedules, Visitor Manager, Contractor Manager. We also have our own card printer (Magicard Rio 2e).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Paxton door access is another to look at. We have it here. No active directory integration but its a good system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast