+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Monday!!! in Technical; Hooray for Monday!!! Come in this morning to hear a loud beeping sound in the server room. One of the ...
    Thank Post

Monday!!!

Hooray for Monday!!!

Come in this morning to hear a loud beeping sound in the server room.

One of the drives in one of my DCs has failed

Have a spare ready to go so the array is now rebuilding.

Wish me luck!! Please all pray for my soul (and a consistant array!!!).

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Good luck! Prayers also needed for a PC in the admin office that has decided it won't boot this morning, even into safe mode. (I rather fear this one is terminal... actually it needs to be - it's the slowest machine in the school)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I came in this morning to find email not working, turns out my servers have decided that actually no, they do want to do automatic updates thankyouverymuch, so the Exchange box had restarted itself and then fouled up the service restarts... thankfully an easy one to fix but still enough to give me that familiar Monday morning feeling where your heart drops into your stomach!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Good luck! Prayers also needed for a PC in the admin office that has decided it won't boot this morning, even into safe mode. (I rather fear this one is terminal... actually it needs to be - it's the slowest machine in the school)
    It lives! Don't ask what I did... it amounted to wiggling a few wires and rebooting it several times!

Fingers crossed for everyone else's Monday morning headaches.

Thank Post
    Our fileserver, who art on LAN
    NETSERVER be thy name
    Thy programmes come
    Thy commands be done
    In DOS, and sometimes in WINDOWS
    Give us this day our daily login
    And forgive us our hacking
    As we forgive those who hack in our files
    Lead us not into corrupt procedures
    But deliver our email
    For thine is the CPU, the powersource and the monitor
    For ever until obsolescence
    Hey, man...

6. 3 Thanks to teejay:

Butuz (14th February 2011), eddyc (14th February 2011), elsiegee40 (14th February 2011)

Thank Post
    And I thought I was having a bad day by pouring the coffee into the water section of the coffee maker instead of into the filter section.....

8. Thanks to chris_uk from:

Butuz (14th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I broke a necklace and then caught my hand in the cooling fan of a computer - ouch!
    Blasted thing won't image either...

Thank Post
    Adding RAM to a PC is easy... right?!

Not in a Viglen one, I've just taken apart. Why design it so that the CD drive covers the spare RAM slot and there's no way on earth that you can get on the extra bits of RAM in? I have a choice - extra RAM or leaving the casing in one piece... Think I'll find another (non Viglen) PC that could use the RAM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_uk View Post
    And I thought I was having a bad day by pouring the coffee into the water section of the coffee maker instead of into the filter section.....
    At least you have a Coffee Machine in your office, we don't and the milk in the staffroom has now ceased thanks to the teaching staff having a complain about paying £7.50 a term for tea, coffee and milk! Yes that right £7.50 per term for the tea, coffee & milk fund, as a result its now ceased (well it does after half term). Its really pathetic that they cannot cope with £7.50 a term so we all suffer!

rad
    Thank Post
    Well this will be a new one, and one for the "what I did today thread"

Supervising ICT lunchtime session - Students in yr 7 doing a science experiment, keeping an egg for a set period (a few weeks), While I was reading the help/fact sheet given by science, the student decided to crack said egg all over himself, computer chair and the floor. So I spent the remainder of the ICT Lunchtime session cleaning his chair of egg while he cleaned himself!

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your prayers. It took 6 hours but the array rebuilt itself and is now showing as consistant!!!! I am very impressed that the array successfully rebuilt whilst the server was actually being used!!! My mind boggles as to how that is actually possible but clearly it is! That server as well as being a DC hosts shared drives, all staff accounts and years 7 - 11 accounts so it gets quite busy!!!

It's still beeping at me though - I think I will shut it down tonight and remove the broken hard drive. The dud drive is not even showing in the RAID manager any more I think it must be totally deadorized!!

There's a lesson to anyone who does not believe in the virtues of Raid 5 & a Hot Spare!!!! No one else in the school apart from SMT has any idea of the 6 hours worth of pallava my server (and I) have been through!!! Now thats uptime!!!

Cheers

Andrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    There's a lesson to anyone who does not believe in the virtues of Raid 5 & a Hot Spare!!!!
    I've even stopped doing that with anything hosting more than a few hundred GB of data and gone to RAID6 with 2 hot spares. Yes, you're losing 4 drives in your array that can't be used for your data, but it's worth it I think. The bigger the drives, the longer the rebuild time, and with 1TB-2TB becoming more common it's a real issue. I saw a study a few years back that said RAID5 would become obsolete in enterprise in the next few years as the chance of a second disk failure during the first rebuild would be too likely, and that everyone would move to RAID-DP or RAID-TP.

Chris

Thank Post
    Yep I use Triple Parity with 2 hot spares on the Suns but this DC is a few years old now and didnt support Raid 6 when I set it up.

Still... it's nice to see that old school RAID levels still actually safeguard data though!!

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread