+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Hp 530 laptop in Technical; Hi I have just rebuilt this laptop for a friend, no recovery partition so just formatted drive and reinstalled Vista, ...

Thank Post

Hp 530 laptop

Hi

I have just rebuilt this laptop for a friend, no recovery partition so just formatted drive and reinstalled Vista, all went well allbeit slowly as there was only 512Mb ram installed. The laptop was working fine when I gave it back. I advised my friend to purchase 2 x 1Gig memory which she did and her father installed the modules, now she tells me that the screen will not come on although everything else appears to be running! I have not got the laptop back to have a look but replacing memory should not inadvertently cause issues with the screen. Am I missing something or is she just unlucky?

Doug

Thank Post
    Could well be the ram if it worked fine before. Maybe they purchased the wrong type.
    Get them to put the 512mb back in and if that works fine you know there is a problem with the new ram.
    Last edited by yugo; 12th February 2011 at 11:34 AM.

Thank Post
    I had the same issue with one last week. The memory had not been upgraded, just returned for general maintenance. In order to solve it I just removed and re-installed the hard drive.

nN

Thank Post
    If it appears to be running then I would plug an extenal monitor on it just in case the screen ballast has gone on it.
    This one of the most common laptop failures, get her to shine a torch close up on the TFT is there anything going on in there?
    If so, then the inverter/ballast is your most likely suspect, search ebay most Laptop inverter/ballasts can be obtained for between 10-20

Normally 4 screws a few clips and some double sided tape and its as good as new.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, yes I will have a good look and check the memory etc, not sure what you mean by just removing and reinstalling HD but will give it a try. Looking on the HP site it mentioned removing power adapter and battery then holding down the power button for between 30secs and a minute. Will see what we have when i get the laptop back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL View Post
    Not sure what you mean by just removing and reinstalling HD but will give it a try. .
    All I did was physically unplug the hard drive and then re-insert it. This appeared to make the screen come back on.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure if it will help but if you want it, I have a .pdf harware ref manual for the hp530. PM me your e.mail and I can e.mail it to you if you want, or google "HP 530 manual" and you'll get a link to the HP Site to download it. I had a quick look at the memory installation section and there's nothing special listed. i.e. you don't have to be stood on your head drinking a glass of milk while you do it!!

on some of the old compaq's i used to work on, you had to save configuration changes after an upgrade. maybe swapping out one stick and plugging in two new ones has thrown out the integrated graphics allocation but my money would be on it being the wrong memory.

Good luck, let me know if you want the manual.

Thank Post
    Well I removed the harddrive and reinstalled and on powering up the screen came back on! very strange, reinstalled new memory was and was prompted on screen to save config and all booted ok, vista recognised the additional 2Gig of memory. My thanks to all for the replies.
    Doug

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread