+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, New server deployment - sanity check? in Technical; different site but same domain, I guess? Sorry I meant to say only 1 RODC, I was going to cluster ...

Thank Post
    different site but same domain, I guess?
    Sorry I meant to say only 1 RODC, I was going to cluster the servers though so I can move the VMs over if I need to take one physical server down for maintenance.
    I am guessing that if I have two sites they will still replicate so my users will be able to log in at either site? I also have a synology NAS as a back up which I think can be a ISCSI target as well but having two would be a syncing nightemare so I shall try branch cache and a disaster or two might encourage the school to spring for another fibre link or perhaps the wifi will work!

Many thanks for all your help today -

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    different site but same domain, I guess?
    Yes, thats right.

Sorry I meant to say only 1 RODC, I was going to cluster the servers though so I can move the VMs over if I need to take one physical server down for maintenance.
    I am guessing that if I have two sites they will still replicate so my users will be able to log in at either site?
    I thought you were just clustering the vm servers which will allow you to do handovers like that. Were you looking at another mirrored vm setup at the remote site?

The AD stuff will still replicate so any user will beable to log on at either site. The reason to chuck them in differentsites is that you can change the replication settings making it replicate at a lower bandwith and less frequently saving lots of traffic on the WAN.

I also have a synology NAS as a back up which I think can be a ISCSI target as well but having two would be a syncing nightemare so I shall try branch cache and a disaster or two might encourage the school to spring for another fibre link or perhaps the wifi will work!

Many thanks for all your help today -
    You are right remote syncing the two on an unreliable link would be a nightmare and you would need to use some third party software in the middle as therewould be no built in solution given they would be different systems (nas and openfiler).

Glad the others and I could help.

Thank Post
    The sites are connected by a GbE fibre link and are only about 100 metres apart so WAN issues not so big.

I was thinking to use my two current production servers at the other site ( once I have my new ones working) with some Hyper v then run a VM as RODC there. If I lost a physical server without that would lose the RODC so would my users lose login or would the main site DC keep everyone connected?

I just noticed your location which means you have been talking to me all night - what a hero!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends on how your network is setup but if if set correctly you should be able to use the remote dc for logon. Depends on if youhave seprate ip ranges at each site and routing. If it is your own bare fibre from one site to another then it is more like a remote cabinet on the same network and so a lot of the extra remote side stuff may be overkill and it may be much cheaper just to run another bit of fibre.

I'm usually awake a large chunk of the night anyhow so no biggie

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

sparker (30th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Do you think on balance I am better off spending my 1k on a SAN and a 2950 or the two 2950 bearing in mind that I have two Acer720 production servers that could be used to support the 2950?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If your Acers support virtualization extentions then I would go for the SAN migrate stuff over then reuse one of the old ones as a second virtualization host.

Thank Post
    Does anyone have good experiences with Openfiler (Setting up a High Availability NAS/SAN using Openfiler | Easy to Read Articles). I would like to use Windows strorage Server but it seems to be only available with Metal?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123