+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, New server deployment - sanity check? in Technical; sata no.. sas yes.... sata @ 10k is a little too slow . i used 2 x hp dl140's and ...

Thank Post
    sata no.. sas yes.... sata @ 10k is a little too slow . i used 2 x hp dl140's and a 2950 as a san.

2. Thanks to strawberry from:

sparker (29th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    Hi Synack
    Very excited by the RODC, would and RODC stay up if it lost its connection to the parent server? It is a perennial problem that the fibre link ( buried 40cms down in a filed that routinely has holes dug on it and large marquees put up, plus various inspectors turning the power off to the comms cabinet when they feel like it) will fail so something that would keep both sides running when the link is down would be great, might be for minutes or hours rather than days.
    I'm ok with the server prep as in my last disaster when I tried to upgrade to Server 2008 only to find exchange 2003 wouldn't!
    The RODC will still stay up and provide authentiation on the remote site even if the link is busted, it will complain in the event logs about replication but will still work till the link is back up at which point it will update from the core. You could even use a standard DC which would allow password changes etc. at the remote site while the link was down but this can cause more issues.

The documents and profiles on the remote site are more of a problem and would require a different solution like some kind of storage mirroring between two SANs or something simmilar. Branchcache may help with this but I'm not 100% sure on that. It should help with the speed of file retrival on the remote site though.

Hi Strawberry, Do you think I could use my Poweredge 830 with some sata drives on it as an iSCSI target for now? Once I have moved all the servers around I will have some more it and can use a 2950 but I don't want to mess with the current servers until I am confident with the new kit
    It depends on how many disks are involved, the more disks in the RAID the faster it will be but you are still limited by the speed of the drive controller. It really depends on how much load you will be putting on it as to whether it will be fast enough for production use.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th January 2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: joined posts

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Hi Synack
    Thanks for that, ill look into branch cache. I have ordered two identical 2950 with the idea of mirroring them but I cannot find any way of doing this for free. The RODC will mean that they can at least login which will be an improvement on the current system. Many thanks , Ill let you know how I get on. BTW I am trying to persuade the school that a part time ICT tech on 20hrs a week is not sufficient for 560 kids, 100 staff and 200 nodes but they keep saying that there is no other junior with a network manager so if you know of one it would be much appreciated!
    Otherwise I might have to go and find a real job!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are just using the 2950s for SAN then you can install openfiler and set that to mirror between sites Setting up a High Availability NAS/SAN using Openfiler | Easy to Read Articles

Yes, with the RODC as they should still be able to logon, the big thing will be if they have access to their profiles. An option for this would be to have mandatory profiles and have these mirrored using DFS onto servers on both sides. This way the mandatory profile would always be avalible then it would just be the Docs.

Not sure about how openfiler reconciles files after a link fault so that is worth some further research to make sure it does not simply overwrite one side when the link is restored.

I understand the time constraints too, currently I do three schools with upwards of 400 stations and I have no idea how many students and staff. It does get a bit much at times , many times.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Hi Strawberry

Which Dl140s were they ?I couldn't use G2s as they didn't have the VT extensions so I am guessing yours were G4s or better?
    How big a SAN did you manage with the 2950?
    Thanks for all the advice!

Thank Post
    Hi SYNACK,

On your own? Respect! Of course probably a lot easier when you know what you are doing .......

Thank Post
    g3's. Our sata disks are 160gb i think, so 160*4 = 640 could have gone for the extra one though as the chassis can hold 6.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi SYNACK,

On your own? Respect! Of course probably a lot easier when you know what you are doing .......
    Yeap, just me but I try to make them as self sufficient as possible. There is always something that crops up you don't know though, no one knows everything.

Also remember that you can use different sata drives in the caddies as long as the raid card supports them so it can be cheaper to buy some old drives and swap out the drives in the caddies with larger drives.

Thank Post
    But I thought SATA was too slow for a SAN.....( although we have 2 x 2tb raid 1 at the mo')

Thank Post
    I was going to put 2 or 3 2TB samsung drive in a Dell 830 and use it as a Raid 1 or 5 iscsi target for my 2950's

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was going to put 2 or 3 2TB samsung drive in a Dell 830 and use it as a Raid 1 or 5 iscsi target for my 2950's
    It will be quite slow with only 3 disks, you would be better off with 4-6 1gb drives to push the speed. Two or three are not going to be much faster than a single 15k sas drive.

You can use sata you just need to spread the load out between enough of them to make it fast enough.

Thank Post
    So SATA drives on a SAS backplane then - sorry I'm catching up slowly perhaps in a RAID 10? Just wondering what is in these servers I am looking at. If it has a SAS backplane then I suppose I could fill it up with SATA drives and use it for my storage as well as for my virtualisation? Does it have to have a separate SAN?
    Many thanks for your patience!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So SATA drives on a SAS backplane then - sorry I'm catching up slowly perhaps in a RAID 10? Just wondering what is in these servers I am looking at. If it has a SAS backplane then I suppose I could fill it up with SATA drives and use it for my storage as well as for my virtualisation? Does it have to have a separate SAN?
    Many thanks for your patience!
    Depends on the backplane, most of the modern ones support it though. You could put the storage in a vm host but then you may run into issues with it as an iSCSI target and if it fails it takes out your vms on both hosts. probably better to have a seporate storage box that does not need to be rebooted for updates etc with dual psus etc to make it as reliable as possible.

Another possibly much easier option for using a server as a SAN would be to use Windows Storage Server which has a bunch of useful features and can be an iSCSI target as well if required.

17. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    I had a quick look at WSS W8kR2 and it seems it is only available as a pre install on hardware.
    So If I have the 830 as a iSCSI target and two 2950s as my VM hosts in one rack on one site and then I can get everything swapped over and put the current production Acer machines on the other site and set them as RODCs - again as VMs, hat only leaves me with the problem of file access if I loose the site link? Doe sthat sound right /sensible?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds right, may only need one RODC on the remote site. I woud host local site resources like printers for each site on a server within that site. I would also set up a different site in AD (AD Sites and services) and put the RODC in it so that you can better manage replication traffic over the WAN link.

So long as you have dhcp and dns setup right for each site it should mean you still have a reasonably functional network even if the link fails. Documents are the tricky thing as the constantly change, stuff like application install shares can just be replicated or copied via scripts then pointed to via dfs and should be able to be kept live easily in the event of a link failure.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th January 2011 at 09:21 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast