+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Acer PC`s in Technical; Anyone got experience of Acer PC`s? I am looking for 30 Ultra Small Form Factor PC`s. The Acer Power 2000 ...
    Thank Post

Acer PC`s

Anyone got experience of Acer PC`s? I am looking for 30 Ultra Small Form Factor PC`s. The Acer Power 2000 meets all requirements, just no experience of this brand !!

Roger

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Acer PC`s

I bought an Acer Aspire L100 for home and it's been pretty stable so far. Only issue I have is with their tech support.
    I enquired whether the DVD drive I had with it could write DAO DL or if I needed to update firmware on the drive.
    Their response: We would suggest performing a recovery with the recovery CD to put the Pc back to it's initial state so any software issues can be ruled out.

Erm no, how about an option that doesn't involve me wiping a PC for no good reason.
    So good PC but dodgy techsupport

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Acer tech support sucks.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Acer tech support sucks.
    Exactly what so many people in the industry think

Roger - have you looked at the Asus Pundits? I've sent you a message with some information on - it might be worth you taking a look. We have supplied over 230 of these to 1 school since September and not had one single problem yet - a very nice unit

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Acer tech support sucks.
    Agree, if anyone wants a real laugh, ring them up.....

Thank Post

I've had 2 personal laptops from Acer and have both been fantastic. I also ordered a Acer computer for a near by church and up to now they have had no problems.

The specs are generally decent for the price but I've never needed to ring Technical Support so cant comment on this.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Acer tech support sucks.
    Agree, if anyone wants a real laugh, ring them up.....
    You're weird. WTF would anyone want to be kept hanging on the phone for 20 mins to be told that your HDD is dead when you can see bits of electrolytic capacitor sprayed all over the MoBo? Then to get told you've b0llixed the warranty by opening the box to look. :x

Me, I don't find that funny. What I do find funny is that they are still in business.

Thank Post

Another vote for their appalling tech support here

If something like a hard disk goes in one of our Acer laptops I honestly would rather fit a new one at our cost rather than phoning them

However, their laptops are pretty well made (except the wonderful feature on the 4150 where the wireless defaults to off every time you switch it on, whatever you do - just what you want in a school

Also used to use a few of their Pundit SFF PC's at home and they were pretty decent

Thank Post

Acer laptops are OK, but IMO acer desktops are not. I like the look of them, but in my experience they are poorly built, easily vandalised, and have a tendancy to go wrong more often than some other makes.

Also their technical support is not the best, I had one PC DOA, they wouldn't accept it as DOA because I'd had the machines more than 28 days, can't blame it if I ordered the machines well before the summer break for installation over it. They wanted me to send the machine back at my expense for examination and repair, which never got arranged as I got cut off before i could get a return number, and I couldn't be bothered to stay on hold another half hour and go through it all again. In the end I examined it, diagnised a faulty motherboard, just happened to have a spare one in my workshop, anf fixed it myself within half hour.

I'm basing my opinion on acer desktops we had in my last school about 2 years ago, they may have improved since.

Mike.

Thank Post

We have purchased about 22 Acer desktops and one laptop in the past year. The laptop works great and is very fast.

The desktops are all fine, we have only had major problems on three systems. Acer US support is decent, but slow (about 25 minute hold time).

One of the best benefits for us is the Acer erecovery system. With this program, I was able to figure out how to use the Acer factory sysprep tool to create a standard system image for each series we get (in process of combining all images into one image). This works great, and gives us a free [legal] Ghost recovery cd to use.

I'd recommend the Acers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

You're weird.
    Not as weird as their 3600GTs which had two Mic slots, one at the front and one at the back. Of course, only one would work at a time so working out which one was not a problem. Switching them over was another matter, there was nothing in the driver, nothing in the BIOS, nothing in the manual.....
    After about 27 E-mails and 50 phone calls they didn't even know. In the end I purchased some extension leads for the mics as we did not want the boys trying to plug them in round the back of the PCs with all the other cables etc..
    I agree good kit, - although the GX's have the RealTek sound driver problem which is easily fixable but first time around there support on that was rubbish.

Thank Post

We have 75 acer wireless laptops acer290cxi now 3 years old out of the the 75 we have had 3 cpu failures 1 inverter, and one MOB. Considering the stick they get we have be very please with them. However it has to be said tech support has gone down hill of late as everything is now back to base ( no local approved outlets for repairs/spares) and a closed shop.

Before my supplier could get parts put now i have to go direct to acer. roll on refresh!

Thank Post

I agree with the bad tech support.

I made a thread about them being rude on the phone a few weeks back, but since then I haven't been able to do anything because they won't reply to my e-mails.

They want me to send the computers back to base for repair, but I only have one repair number, when I should have two. No-one seems to be willing to give me the second one.

After reading this thread, i'm tempted to just repair them myself for a cost of about £40 (replacing two broken sata HDDs which cost about £20 each). I just don't think the hassle is worth it, it'd be much quicker and easier doing it myself. Besides, will they tell me the warranty is void for opening the case up and breaking the lil warranty sticker? If so, i'm doomed anyway because i've already done that several times.

Thank Post

I read somewhere there is a loophole that you are legally allowed to open the machine to say your checking that you got what you paid for, without voiding the warranty.

Not sure if it is true, but it is food for thought.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Elky
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Acer tech support sucks.
    Exactly what so many people in the industry think

Roger - have you looked at the Asus Pundits? I've sent you a message with some information on - it might be worth you taking a look. We have supplied over 230 of these to 1 school since September and not had one single problem yet - a very nice unit
    yes ive used asus pundits before there nice machines, only issuse ive come across with them is they scrach really easy, there also a pain to build if like me you get the bare bones system because there so small, ive had penty of cuts from building them :P only used acer laptops and they seem pretty good dont have much trouble with them, agreed though their tech support is bad,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast