+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Acer PC`s in Technical; Ive got 2 old PIII Travelmates. About 6 or 7 years old and still running fine. Running XP on them ...

Thank Post

Re: Acer PC`s

Ive got 2 old PIII Travelmates. About 6 or 7 years old and still running fine. Running XP on them and they run great. Theyre not used on the network, only used for powerpoint, playing dvd's, word, excel etc. Newer ones ive seen in shops feel flimsy. Just got an AcerPower 1000, not yet out the box though so will post any problems I have with it (if there are any).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by davyboi
    Quote Originally Posted by Elky
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Acer tech support sucks.
    Exactly what so many people in the industry think

Roger - have you looked at the Asus Pundits? I've sent you a message with some information on - it might be worth you taking a look. We have supplied over 230 of these to 1 school since September and not had one single problem yet - a very nice unit
    yes ive used asus pundits before there nice machines, only issuse ive come across with them is they scrach really easy, there also a pain to build if like me you get the bare bones system because there so small, ive had penty of cuts from building them :P only used acer laptops and they seem pretty good dont have much trouble with them, agreed though their tech support is bad,
    I cant comment on the scratching as I've not seen this problem but with regards to the build - why not let our technicians take the pain and build them? Seriously, we haven't come across this either, well at least no-one has complained when bulding them, haha!

Thank Post

We've bought 15 Acer desktops & 6 Acer laptops in the last year.

Two desktops have had to be returned for repair & 4 laptops - one 4 times!!

Their call centre is DIRE!!! Generally around 20-30 minutes wait!!

Shan't buy any more - EVER!

RoyG

Thank Post

I'd recommend Acer for cost and performance. As far as support, we've had 12 at plasmanet (L100) which we used for digital signage.

For a dual core AMD, £499 including a screen is pretty good value.

We've also used their laptops (8 of these) - only problem was when one guy trapped his power supply in a door, but was fixed with some silicon sealant. Another good point is that usually they include DVD-RAM drives and DL DVD, so a plus for us.

As far as ASUS pundit, this is ok as a desktop, but I've seen issues with stability (freezing) which may be ok if you don't mind rebooting your machine periodically.

Hope this info helps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok here i go. I used to work for acer tech support (esplex) and to be honist i cannot defend them. They employ anybody off the street ( a lot of agency staff as most people walk out due to abuse from callers) they work off a call card and have to sort many people an hour in the call center. This is why if it look like it might take too long some hang up. Now for the good bit engineers there were about 20 when i was there sometimes more as they employed more when they needed it (agency staff again) and they have a deadline as well. when i was there it was 12 laptops a day (7 hours) for someone new and up to 16 for older staff. To be honist with everyone knowing what i know i would never buy an acer. We had one machine that had been fixed 3 times ( this was due to the fact the engineers never have time to diagnose falts correctly as if you find the fault but cant fix it it does not count towards you count)

richard

I have in the last 2 weeks had to work on 2 different Acer Aspire laptops as private jobs and found both to have had the motherboard fail. This has now put me off Acers for good.

Thank Post

Still waiting for a laptop returned on 19th March - this is the on e which has been back 4 times!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

RoyG

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark.hopgood
    As far as ASUS pundit, this is ok as a desktop, but I've seen issues with stability (freezing) which may be ok if you don't mind rebooting your machine periodically.

Hope this info helps.
    Acer & Asus are very different outfits. We've bought over 200 Asus desktops & laptops over the last 4 years. Only 2 issues during that time.

ASUS - recommended, ACER not!

Roy G

Thank Post

Oh dear sounds like I may be in for fun.

Had an Acer 5101 notebook since November last year, sent it back with a few month for a loose mousepad.
    Then about a month ago the screen developed a problem in that it would lose brightness, if you kept adjusting the tilt of the screen it would light up again.
    sent it back and they claimed faulty hard drive, replaced it ??
    Had it back two weeks and same fault occurred so sent it back along with explanation of previous work.
    It's come back today with tech report software fault ?? no hardware problems ???
    eerrrr the've just fitted a new hard drive totally reinstalled the operating system how can the same fault be software...
    I'm waiting see what happens now, I've already emailled them asking for an explanation

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Another reason to build desktops yourselves

I actually like the acer laptops, they seem well built to me. Never had a problem with sending one back.

Thank Post

I'm an Acer fanboy. Think they offer fantastic value for money on both desktop and laptop machines. Never needed to call their support lines, so can't comment on that side of the business.

Thank Post

Update:

We've just added Acer L1000 small form factor to our list of 'good to use' with Plasmanet. I've had one problem with an Acer so far. One of the network cards went kaput, but I think this was to do with one of our (ex) employees taking it apart. I solved it by adding a USB network dongle.

Thank Post

What everyone else had said about the support tbh.

I have a laptop that has gone away 6 times now for repair and still hasnt been fixed, the fault the person on the telephone has put on the job sheet the last couple of times has been nothing like the one Ive discribed so its been no wonder the technicians cant fix it

Thank Post

Weve got a few Acers because there cheap and we have had to send some back but overall they last out for general typing, websurfing and emailing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12