+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Hardware Thread, OS-less hardware suppliers? in Technical; Good afternoon, I am trying to get hold of a supplier of HP kit. I need it to come without ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    274
    Thank Post
    183
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    OS-less hardware suppliers?

    Good afternoon, I am trying to get hold of a supplier of HP kit. I need it to come without an OS as we purchase ours via Ramesys. I was looking to get some HP Small Form Factor systems.

    Can anyone recommend any places?
    Would HP do it direct?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,917
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Rep Power
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by talksr View Post
    I need it to come without an OS as we purchase ours via Ramesys.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think this is legal...

    All Volume Licenses are upgrades. You cannot legally buy a “naked” PC and attach a volume license to it. You must first buy a full license (typically an OEM license with a new PC purchase) and then use the Volume License to upgrade to the VL version you purchased. (Source)

  3. #3

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,969
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think this is legal...
    you are indeed 100% correct.

  4. #4
    jamesreedersmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ruskington
    Posts
    1,158
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 253 Times in 227 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Yes Arthur is correct - if you are buying licenses in bulk from ramesys or on a school agreement they are upgrades to the OS you need from whatever oem software is on there (even if that is a home OS). You cant buy a naked PC and put a volume license on it.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    274
    Thank Post
    183
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Ah ok, well thankfully, to date I have only installed ramesys windows os's on pcs that came with licenses and stickers on the sides.
    That is very useful to know.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    dwhyte85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,219
    Thank Post
    159
    Thanked 147 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    That's what they all say

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    274
    Thank Post
    183
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    I bet!
    We have only ordered two machines from misco and both came with windows 7 business.
    Everything else is RM and CC4 so we are all safe!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    67
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    We have some full Windows 95 and DOS 6.2 licences which we use as Full licences so that we could use our Software agreement to install Windows on a few PCs. Rang a supplier (name withheld to protect the innocent!) for some PCs without Windows and told it was illegal to sell machines without Windows - in Microsoft's dreams!!!)

  9. #9

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,177
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 773 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    We have some full Windows 95 and DOS 6.2 licences which we use as Full licences so that we could use our Software agreement to install Windows on a few PCs. Rang a supplier (name withheld to protect the innocent!) for some PCs without Windows and told it was illegal to sell machines without Windows - in Microsoft's dreams!!!)
    If going to Windows 7, DOS & Windows 95 are not eligible to upgrade from, WIndows 98 or NT4 are the earliest eligible versions. See here

  10. #10

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,969
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    Rang a supplier (name withheld to protect the innocent!) for some PCs without Windows and told it was illegal to sell machines without Windows - in Microsoft's dreams!!!)
    Totally wrong. You can buy machines with out Windows a good example is Mac. Dell also sell machines with Ubuntu installed.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 31st January 2011 at 08:11 PM.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,197
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 228 Times in 217 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    What happens when you buy the kit to build up a PC you don't have to get a license with it...

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    274
    Thank Post
    183
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    Yes Arthur is correct - if you are buying licenses in bulk from ramesys or on a school agreement they are upgrades to the OS you need from whatever oem software is on there (even if that is a home OS). You cant buy a naked PC and put a volume license on it.
    Just a thought, but what do schools do when they purchase iMacs and then install windows 7 onto them via bootcamp?
    Because they would not have had a previous version of Windows Installed, only OS X and they can't obtain a non OEM copy from Ramesys as Ramesys only provide upgrade options.
    hmmmm :s

  13. #13

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,969
    Thank Post
    886
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by talksr View Post
    Just a thought, but what do schools do when they purchase iMacs and then install windows 7 onto them via bootcamp?
    Because they would not have had a previous version of Windows Installed, only OS X and they can't obtain a non OEM copy from Ramesys as Ramesys only provide upgrade options.
    hmmmm :s
    Have a look here - Dual boot Apple MAC & Windows - Is Windows covered by Schools Agreement?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Hardware suppliers
    By pat_k in forum Hardware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13th June 2010, 07:24 PM
  2. Used Suppliers
    By gshaikh in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th June 2009, 12:07 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •