+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Stone NT 200 problems in Technical; I m starting to get to the end of my tether with these! About 7 or 8 of these have ...

Thank Post

Stone NT 200 problems

I m starting to get to the end of my tether with these!

About 7 or 8 of these have been out of action for 3 months and Stone dont know what the proiblem is they randoly start beeping then turn themslef off. Turn back on then seems ok for abit, anyone else had problems with Stone nt200?

TheLibrarian
    I've no experience with these laptops, but I'd suggest that you check if they are overheating.

Thank Post
    I think they are but its hard to replicate just at random

TheLibrarian
    In which case get some stress testing software out and push the processor(s) - you'll know for sure soon enough.

As a stress test you could try calculating Pi PiFast : the fastest program to compute pi.

It could be worth getting some motherboard monitoring software too http://majorgeeks.com/Motherboard_Monitor_d311.html

5. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

irsprint84 (26th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Yes, I've had exactly the same problem with the only one of these I brought for a member of staff. I could never replecate the error in testing, so I was skeptical about whether the user was using the laptop on their lap or something and blocking the vents etc. Stone replaced the main board for me, but apparently the laptop was still experiencing the problem, so they are now sending me a new unit.

I'm concerned to hear you've been having the same issues thou, I just hope that the replacement they send doesn't suffer from the same. I suggest contacting Adam Jones who is the UK schools manager, very helpful guy and I'm sure he'll do his best to get the issues resolved for you. PM me if you'd like his direct dial, as I don't really want to post that on a public forum.

Incidently we stress tested the one we had with a benchmarking utility and we couldn't replicate the error even with the processor running at 100% for half an hour and the machine getting toasty warm.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 26th January 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you know who actually makes these? as they will in all probability be an OEM machines from the far east from one of the major laptop maufacturers. If you can get a photo of the lablel on the underside on here it may give us a clue as to its 'real' name and manufacturer and we can then check to see wether it has had this problem reported globally.

8. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Thank Post
    I think its a samsung but will look tomorrow. I had 10/25 go like this and also had new replacements I also got have asus and been fine. Its happened to 1 staff member 4 times! what I can see is the front near the mouse pad is very squigy and hdd on front right side. Because she is pe teacher I m guessing moving around is putting pressure on the front. Also bottom of laptop had battery covering 30% of back, when I swap battery seems ok for a bit.

I say many good things about stone but I ve said I m not doing any more business till this is resolved.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it will be Samsung. AFAIK they don't OEM kit, as they are so big they don't need too.

Thank Post
    I just want things resolved! I brought 5 in July 2010 and 4 screwed up and was an idiot and brought 20 in summer as wanted half stone and half asus and 5/6 died of those! so dont know what to do with them and neither do stone! when ususally they re good with stuff but said I m only school reporting problems :/

Thank Post
    They are built by Stone to order as far as I know and I expect the componants are sourced in bulk from a mass producer somewhere, possibly on an exclusive deal as I've never seen never Stone laptop chassis used by other manufacturers as sometimes happens with others. These particular machines are very slimline and lightweight which is what attracted me to buy one, but I do wonder if they've created problems in making the laptop so slim.

I have tried googling some of the details on the chassis labels, but it turned up nothing of interest a few weeks ago.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    I just want things resolved! I brought 5 in July 2010 and 4 screwed up and was an idiot and brought 20 in summer as wanted half stone and half asus and 5/6 died of those! so dont know what to do with them and neither do stone! when ususally they re good with stuff but said I m only school reporting problems :/
    You're definitely not the only school reporting problems, as I've had multiple calls since November 2010 regarding our one.

Thank Post
    we have 20 x asus ul30 and been fine and similar build though the components of the stones seem to be right at the front, which to me seems a design flaw.

Stone have been a great company for me especially on PC's but having to give staff old crap laptops back while I have a load of these laptops in my office gathering dust for 4 months makes me look stupid! especially when happened to one member of staff 4 times! I dont know about my legal options really as given up

Thank Post
    Just keep piling the pressure on them to sort the issues out - you have a warranty so make sure you use it and if the machine isn't working properly, ensure you're chasing up support calls and putting on the pressure while making is perfectally clear you're not happy, obviously keep it professioanl thou.

Legally it's a different situation from the rights you'd have as a consumer, and it's much more difficult to return goods outright and claim your money back. However if you don't ask you won't get, so it may be worth having a conversation with your account manager along those lines if the replacement machines are still causing the same issues, or maybe suggest they replace them with a different machine from their range if they aren't performing.

16. Thanks to maniac from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Just keep piling the pressure on them to sort the issues out - you have a warranty so make sure you use it and if the machine isn't working properly, ensure you're chasing up support calls and putting on the pressure while making is perfectally clear you're not happy, obviously keep it professioanl thou.

Legally it's a different situation from the rights you'd have as a consumer, and it's much more difficult to return goods outright and claim your money back. However if you don't ask you won't get, so it may be worth having a conversation with your account manager along those lines if the replacement machines are still causing the same issues, or maybe suggest they replace them with a different machine from their range if they aren't performing.
    Well I ve been polite and had them 'fixed' but stone dont know what the problems are or even what the beeps mean, these are 'new' laptops and staff and myself get tired of sending them back and same issue keeps cropping up so they re not getting fixed making staff angry.

Thank Post
    Only reference on laptop is w84t, there is a small reference on google staying noisy fan and poor keyboard but nothing else

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast