+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Rm Slate 100 in Technical; I am thinking of getting one of these. I noticed that they come supplied with Win 7 Home Premium. Has ...
    Thank Post

Rm Slate 100

I am thinking of getting one of these. I noticed that they come supplied with Win 7 Home Premium. Has anyone looked at installing Win 7 Pro?

I would like to add it to the domain for use in our IT suites by staff Would only be for general browsing and office. Maybe a bit of MIS.

Good idea or not??

Thank Post
    I had a play with one quickly yesterday at BETT. The thing that imediately jumps to mind, is that windows 7 wasn't designed for slate/tablet use. It was quite a high resolution and pressing the buttons etc you needed to be very precise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by denon101 View Post
    I noticed that they come supplied with Win 7 Home Premium. Has anyone looked at installing Win 7 Pro?
    I don't think Pro has any extra hardware requirements over Home Premium, and I think upgrading is simply a case of clicking the Windows Anytime Upgrade icon in the Start menu . I think it costs a bit, though - £100-ish?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies, We have decided to go ahead with one. Will report what happens when it arrives.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    ZeroHour has one as a demo. He told me yesterday that he was going to try sticking Pro on it and networking it.

I'm looking into the potential of one for a statemented lad we have.

Thank Post
    Well the order has gone to finance today. So hopefully in a couple of weeks I will be able to give this ago. I will keep people informed of my progress.

Thank Post
    Thanks to falling in love with the one I saw on EG BETT stand, I have now ordered one to trial.

We have updated eeeBox PCs to Windows 7 Pro by entering the code found on this page: Configuring KMS Clients into the Anytime Upgrade window and letting it activate against our KMS server. I'll try doing the same on the Slate when I get it next week.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, me too... grrrrr after spending 145 on the ePad.

How much, anyone?

Thank Post
    They are £399 plus VAT. I have ordered the docking station and the stylus as well. The whole order comes to about £440ish plus VAT

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hummm... that is why the ePad was attractive to me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Got one here next week going to have a laugh and rebuild one as CC4. As for finger tips there is few things you can do to make it easier to use:-

RM Slate 100 - How to adjust the standard Windows operating system user desktop interface
    Published Date : 24 Dec 2010 Content Ref: TEC1810145

Operating System MS Windows 7
    Part No 1RW-806
    Summary Explains the adjustments that can be made to the Microsoft Windows operating system to improve the interface to suit user preferences.

Symptoms

The RM Slate 100 uses a standard Microsoft® Windows® 7 desktop. The touch screen can be used with the slate stylus, however if you are using your fingers on the touch screen, you may find that some of the standard Windows icons are too small for your fingers.

Procedure

Adjusting the user interface for 'larger' fingers
    In order to adjust the interface for a more touch friendly user experience for larger fingers, the following can be changed:

Click Start, Control Panel, Appearance and Personalization, Change window glass colours, Advanced appearance settings.
    From the Item drop-down menu, change the following attributes:
    Select Menu and increase size to 24.
    Select Caption Buttons and increase size to 32.
    Select Active Title Bar and increase font size to 15.
    Select Inactive Title Bar and increase font size to 15.
    Select Scrollbars and increase size to 30.
    To load the keyboard during the log on screen, click the 'Ease of Access' button in the lower-left corner. Select the 'Type without keyboard (On-Screen Keyboard)' check box .
    Screen gestures:
    The RM Slate 100 will respond to multi-touch gestures. Some useful gestures are:

Right-click - Hold one finger tip on the screen, and tap and release with your thumb or another finger. Alternatively, press one finger tip down and wait for a complete circle to be drawn around your finger, then release your finger.
    Scroll/Pan - Use one or two fingers to drag across the screen. You can also move objects in this way (depending upon the application). You can also flick by making a quicker gesture.
    Zoom - Place two finger tips on the screen and move them apart or nearer to each other.

Possible Issues

Touchscreen calibration
    You can recalibrate the touchscreen using the Windows recalibration tool.

Click Start, Control Panel and select 'Hardware and Sound'.
    In the Tablet PC Settings tab, click 'Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input'.
    When the dialog box appears, click Calibrate.
    Where each cross-hair appears, touch with your finger.
    Click Yes, to save the data.
    Click OK, to close the Tablet PC Settings window.
    If you wish to reset the calibration back to the original settings, please click the Reset button in the Tablet PC Settings window.

Touchscreen is slow or unresponsive
    If you experience any touchscreen issues, please download and extract the program from the DWN1844806 given in the Other Useful Articles section below. (The download file name is EETI_EGALAXCAL_MISC_WIN7_OCT10.exe.) Once this has been done, please follow the procedure below:

Plug in the power adapter and a USB mouse. Reset the touchscreen calibration from the Tablet PC Settings window as described in the 'Touchscreen calibration' section above.
    Run eGalaxCal.exe.
    On loading, there will be a prompt to state that it will do a hardware calibration and reset the touch device. It will ask if you want to reset touch device, click Yes.
    You will see the following prompt: 'Please do NOT touch the screen during calibration. This is very important and could impact the success rate of the calibration.' Click OK.
    Whilst it is calibrating, you can see a count down.
    When complete, it will display the message 'Hardware Calibration OK!'. Click OK.
    Restart the system.

More Information

Further information
    To turn on, you need to press the power button for over four seconds.
    On the log on screen, if the keyboard does not appear, please allow enough time for the system to finish loading. If it still does not appear, please follow the instructions above.
    The light sensor is on the upper-left corner of the RM Slate 100. During boot, if you get a start-up repair menu, or if you are in the BIOS menu, tapping the light sensor for half a second will move the cursor down. Holding it for several seconds will send an key press.
    If your touchscreen is not accurate or randomly moves the cursor, please recalibrate the screen using the downloaded application described above.
    If the slate does not boot to Windows operating system, but boots to the EFI console and a Shell prompt is displayed, change the BIOS boot order so that the SATA hard disk is first in the boot order list.

12. 2 Thanks to russdev:

dhicks (16th January 2011), elsiegee40 (14th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    if you are using your fingers on the touch screen, you may find that some of the standard Windows icons are too small for your fingers.
    Many thanks - until I had a play with the RM Slate and the Fizzbook Spin at BETT I didn't quite get what all the fuss was about with Windows 7 being fiddly for touch. I have a 22" Windows 7 touch screen PC, touch works quite well on that. On a 7" screen it's a different matter, though.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I have now received my Slate, and my method above does work to upgrade it to W7Pro (not enterprise). A couple of hints for joining it to a domain:

Make sure you have a USB keyboard to hand, because when you first restart it, you will need to press ctrl-alt-del to login, which you can't do on the OSK. Once you are logged in, go to control panel > user accounts > manage user accounts > advanced, and uncheck require ctrl-alt-del to logon.

Also, regarding logging on, I have come across this issue: RM Slate Logon Screen I dont know if this is just my computer or not, but definitely an issue if you are going to have kids/teachers trying to log on.

Regards,
    David

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread