+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, NAS Server - Ideas? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    £1,500 for the chasis, 36x£200 for the harddrives, £1,000 for the RAID card - 108TB of storage for around £10,000. I want one...

--
    David Hicks
    make it 2 so i can mirror one to the other

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    £1,500 for the chasis, 36x£200 for the harddrives, £1,000 for the RAID card - 108TB of storage for around £10,000. I want one...

--
    David Hicks
    Then get it to perform like Oracle 7000 series storage, have the amazing software and analytics's of it and you've got an amzing product at an amazing price

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Then get it to perform like Oracle 7000 series storage, have the amazing software and analytics's of it and you've got an amzing product at an amazing price
    If you stuck in the cost of Nexenta Systems you'd get some of the features. Still need some SSDs however but that would be a potent box

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    That 36-caddy chasis and the BackBlaze chassis both seem intended for use as backup devices - they both attach disks via port expanders, so you wind up with multiple disks sharing SATA ports. The BackBlaze seems to be specifically designed to be cheap - it doesn't have any dedicated RAID hardware, just some standard SATA ports. I get the impression that BackBlaze also handle reducndancy by having their data duplicated on multiple hardware devices, which obviously makes sense at the scale they operate at. I'm guessing that the performance of either of the above solutions won't be up to, say, 4 classes of 30 plus 40 staff all simultaniously trying to edit documents - for that you'd need something with a capabale hardware RAID card - around £1,000 for something that could handle a dozen or so disks, hence why I'd go for those Antec 1200 cases with front-loading disk caddies, more suited to the scale of your average school.

I'm interested to note that BackBlaze base their system on Debian running mdadm RAID - if it's good enough for an online backup company, it's good enough for a school's backup needs. I'm guessing most schools would be better running a Samba server on top of the RAID arrays, though.

What features do Oracle's 7000 series storage servers have over a plain file server that just lets users read and write files?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    The key to the oracle is performance, analytics and overall product design. Really if you just want a pure fileserver its over-priced, its when you look at the whole package, when you get NFS, SMB, iSCSI, NDMP all in the box, plenty to read on here and once you've had one and used one anything else really isn't as good.

6. Thanks to john from:

dhicks (8th January 2011)

Thank Post
    As John says the Oracle box is a whole package. It makes use of the same backend software stack as Nexenta (ZFS, Solaris etc) and adds good hardware and a nice gui analytics package. The advantage is the way it makes use of RAM, SSDs and HDs to give the fastest performance possible.

If you only wanted performance and weren't scared on the command line you could put together something similar using off-the-shelf hardware and Solaris/ZFS (or FreeBSD/ZFS). Alternatively you could possibly get something similar with Linux/BCache or Linux/Fastcache and one of the newer file systems (something like btrfs once its ready!)

8. Thanks to Soulfish from:

dhicks (8th January 2011)

Thank Post

--
    David Hicks
    Well just to update you all I've just got some pricing for the supermicro 36-bay chassis putting it at around £1200. Total cost for around 40tb of storage (including a good hardware RAID card, 16gb RAM, E5620 CPU etc) is coming in at about £5000-5500 depending on which parts we end up getting. That was based on using 20 of the 36-bays, leaving some room for expansion

10. Thanks to Soulfish from:

dhicks (12th January 2011)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I built my own 10tb home media server for under £1,000 here

MeediOS • View topic - Media server upgrade

It was surprisingly easy and cheap

I'm going to build a backup at work as well using the same principles.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I set up a NAS unit recently as a proof of concept, we only wanted it to snapshot our Xen Server so the specification is very low:

Dell 210L
    - Pentium 4 3.20Ghz
    - 2Gb DDR2 RAM
    - 2 x 1 Tb SATA2 HDD's in RAID 1

It takes a snapshot no problem and has been used to backup the Staff areas using Symantec Backup Exec (Which we already use for main backups)

Total Cost: £0.00 (Had everything lying around - Bargain)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,001 Posts
    It seems to imply that all WD drives support TLR, it's just that the "RAID edition" ones have it enabled by default. A utility exists to change this, see Wikipedia for details.
    You can no longer enable TLER on the latest WD consumer drives. I think StorageReview has more details on this.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Once setup it works well but am not sure what throughput is like ( read / write on the drives ) and also setting up iscsi using the ethernet connection - doesnt seem to be many videos on actual experience of this.
    I used to have a Drobo, but the performance was so bad I returned it. The new Drobo FS isn't much better (« this review shows you how to set it up on a Mac too).

Here are some benchmarks of my Drobo (connected via FW800 with a three HDDs). The first two are using the standard Microsoft FireWire driver while the third and fourth are with the driver from Unibrain.

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (12th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,001 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    As John says the Oracle box is a whole package. It makes use of the same backend software stack as Nexenta (ZFS, Solaris etc) and adds good hardware and a nice gui analytics package. The advantage is the way it makes use of RAM, SSDs and HDs to give the fastest performance possible.
    I think my next NAS will probably run NexentaStor Community Edition or ZFS Guru. ZFS is fantastic.

For some truly massive NASs you should take a look at the following thread on the HardOCP forums. Some people have 100TB+ at home!!!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1393939

16. Thanks to Arthur from:

Soulfish (12th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I think my next NAS will probably run NexentaStor Community Edition or ZFS Guru. ZFS is fantastic.

For some truly massive NASs you should take a look at the following thread on the HardOCP forums. Some people have 100TB+ at home!!!

The [H]ard Forum Storage Showoff Thread - Post your 10TB+ systems - [H]ard|Forum
    Ohhh I hadn't seen the HardOCP thread before. That 9U chenbro case is a monster

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    QNAP's are great for what you want to do
    We're buying a QNAP TS-809U-RP - rack-mounted, dual power supplies, and for somewhere under £1,500, which really isn't bad. Am I correct in thinking that QNAP's devices are all software RAID (mdadm?) based? If so, this QNAP device is sold as being just the thing to store your virtual machine disk images on, therefore the software RAID must be able to keep up with typical I/O speeds. Does anyone else use a QNAP device for VM disk images, can you confirm that performance is okay? If so, why does anyone bother with hardware RAID, then? Have QNAP got some cunning tuneing trick they perform, or are they using their own software RAID system, or do they simply find that they installed mdadm and it worked fine?

Does anyone make use of the QNAP's medi library feature? How well does it work in a school context?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Following on with the QNAPs can anyone comment on the iSCSI reliability?

I keep getting warned that their implementation is somewhat wobbly, which is no good if I want to use it as a backup target. If not QNAP then are any of the other SMB-type NAS appliances any better?

I've got a DL180 G6 in my office at the moment that was the original plan for backup server (with Veeam installed locally) but HP decided it would be a good idea to run 4 fans at 10000rpm the moment you plug a RAID card in, no way that can stay in here Problem is haven't got any other places in the building away from the server room and something in me says having backups in there isn't a good idea (unless I can do some sort of realtime sync to... a QNAP?)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Building a Backblaze pod does seem tempting. I've even found a UK group that have fabricated the cases and got all the hard to buy parts (UK Blazers and Custom Electronic Enclosures for Engineers and Designers) but I'm also being tempted by a 36-bay 4U supermicro case (Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Chassis | 4U | SC847A-R1400UB).
    Just to update this thread: The BackBlaze Pod 2.0 is now out!

21. 2 Thanks to dhicks:

Arthur (20th July 2011), Duke (21st July 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast