+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Nicely priced Dell IPS touchscreen monitor in Technical; Whats the chances it'll be the anywhere near this reasonable when it hits the UK? Dell st2220t 23" Full HD ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nicely priced Dell IPS touchscreen monitor

Whats the chances it'll be the anywhere near this reasonable when it hits the UK?

Dell st2220t 23" Full HD Widescreen Monitor Details

works with a stylus too - so be interesting as a design tablet...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dunno, but might be worth any import tax!

Thank Post
    Beautiful. I imagine there will be models in the near feature that will work with a stylus. I would hold out a bit.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBTBizDirect View Post
    Beautiful. I imagine there will be models in the near feature that will work with a stylus. I would hold out a bit.
    errrr...

Touch Screen
    Touch technology:
    Optical touch
    Touch method:
    Finger(s), stylus or any pointer
    Stylus diameter:
    Minimum 7mm
    Touch capabilities:
    Mouse functionality (click, drag, double-click and right-click)
    Touch functionality (supports Windows® 7 multi-touch gestures)

Thank Post
    Sorry for the confusion, I meant wait for additional models to come out onto the market in the near future. But if you are looking for one sooner than later that one would be a great option. Agree that it may be worth the tax.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is a ok multitouch ProLite monitor availble in the UK at the moment for a similar ish price, Iiyama T2250MTS. Though it's definately not as good looking as the Dell!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also, the ilyama isn't an IPS panel, so given the similar pricing waiting for a uk release would appear to be the best bet..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    I just took delivery of one of these today to try out in one of our Learning Support rooms (where there is no room for an IWB). Will check in again in a few weeks with the end user perspective, but having played with it a bit myself, I'm pretty happy with it.

Touchscreen
    Responsiveness is pretty good; not as good as a capacitative touchscreen but miles better than resistive. Accuracy is at least as good as on a well calibrated IWB, if not better. You can use pretty much any pointy thing you want as a stylus: nothing sharp obviously, and Dell say it should be a minimum of 7mm across to pick up, but I used a SMART board pen which is a bit less than that and it worked perfectly.

Stand
    Although Dell only show you a few different stand angles in their product gallery, the stand is spring loaded and fully adjustable between 10° and 65°, as well as being able to go completely flat. FYI, and angle of about 55° makes you feel like you're at the helm of the Enterprise

Software
    I tested on Windows 7, and flicks and pinch zoom worked fine. The pinch zoom wasn't as easy to get right as on my Android phone, for example, but I think that's a Windows 7 thing rather than the display. It tended to work better with two hands rather than a thumb and finger. The usual array of curriculum software we use on our IWBs also worked fine.

Anything very near the screen edges (such as the the Start button, unfortunately) can be a bit tricky to hit accurately due to the way the screen is recessed into the surround. With the Start button in particular, I found it easier using my right forefinger instead of my left.

Extras
    The screen has passable speakers built in; they are only 2 watts and don't have a lot of bass to them, but are better than most laptop speakers. Volume is decent but you wouldn't want them in lieu of a proper set in a classroom. A notable omission from the box contents is a DVI or HDMI cable: you only get a VGA cable included. I wasn't expecting HDMI but DVI would have been nice, but I had loads lying around anyway. There are cable clips built in on both sides of the screen to help bundle up the cables a bit and push them left or right rather than having them splayed out of the bottom. With 4 cables to connect you will probably want to wrap some cable tidies around them unless they are hidden away.

Gripe
    My only gripe is the complete lack of mounting options. No VESA holes, nothing. Although heavier than most LCD screens (6.3kg), there are plenty of wall mounts with the balls to hold it, and it would have been awesome to have the option.

Price
    Buying from Dell direct seems to get the best price I could find online, £186.75 incl. VAT and delivery as of the time of posting (link).
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 31st May 2011 at 04:55 PM.

9. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

soapyfish (6th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Price
    Buying from Dell direct seems to get the best price I could find online, £186.75 incl. VAT and delivery as of the time of posting (link).
    Dell are offering £80.00 trade in on the screen if you have an old display knocking around. Dell - Reward and Recycle

11. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

AngryTechnician (31st May 2011)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This caused a bit of excitement on HotUKDeals over the Bank Holiday weekend but the deal is showing as expired now:

Dell ST2220T Multi Touch IPS Monitor DELL £168.06 + 10% quidco + FURTHER £90 DISCOUNT - Expired - HotUKDeals

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Dell are offering £80.00 trade in on the screen if you have an old display knocking around. Dell - Reward and Recycle
    I have about 30 old ones sitting in storage! That is an amazing discount, combined with the special on the price at the moment that's only just over £100 for a full HD monitor, even without the touch.

Max 15 per customer according to the T&Cs, but I am so taking advantage of that, especially as I planned on buying a few more anyway. Tempted to buy one for home too!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    This caused a bit of excitement on HotUKDeals over the Bank Holiday weekend but the deal is showing as expired now:

Dell ST2220T Multi Touch IPS Monitor DELL £168.06 + 10% quidco + FURTHER £90 DISCOUNT - Expired - HotUKDeals
    Think the only part of the deal that has expired was the additional 10%. That now over rides the Dell discount. The Dell Vostro 3550 deal also caused some excitement

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    YAY!

Touch-base now provides a gesture supporting driver for this...for Macs!

definitely gonna get one now - especially with that recycle deal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread