+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Not a good start to the year.... in Technical; Duke I would check with your county council as the last two I worked for had a county council / ...

Thank Post
    Duke I would check with your county council as the last two I worked for had a county council / dell login page with major discounts. About 45% off and no extra for 5 year warranty.

2. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

Duke (6th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Back tot he OP for a sec..
    Whilst I managed to copy the files over to another HDD yesterday a thought has just occurred to me - it wont have copied the NTFS or shares over will it?
    Anyone know the best way to copy 133GB worth of data and keep both NTFS/Share permissions as well as the actual shares themselves (or will they be reshared by windows anyway when the new driver array is created?)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Duke I would check with your county council as the last two I worked for had a county council / dell login page with major discounts. About 45% off and no extra for 5 year warranty.
    Thanks, I'll definitely need to look into this! We've got a Dell Premier login and we're not paying list price on stuff, but I've never seen anything about free 5 Year warranties so I'll need to do some investigating...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt
    Back tot he OP for a sec..
    No, shares on run from the server, so copying the files will just get the files rather than the configuration of those files. How many shares are we talking? If it's only a few then you can go to Computer Management > Shared Folders > Shares and make a note of what they are and what permissions are set.

xcopy takes the following argument: /O Copies file ownership and ACL information.

There was also a tool from EduGeek somewhere I think that was supposed to be really good for file migrations. Robocopy is also definitely worth a look and I think there is a GUI available for it.

If you want to copy and restore the files exactly as they were and you can't clone the entire server, then I think you need to be looking at backup software that will allow you to backup all the files and their permissions, and the configuration of the shares on the server, then restore this at a later date. If the data you're moving is fairly generic (e.g. folder names = usernames, share name = folder name, permissions = username full control) then this is usually fairly easy to script, so it may be easier to copy the files back then configure shares and ACLs.

Chris

5. Thanks to Duke from:

Gatt (6th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you're not going to replace the drive from which Windows is running (probably C then the shares will stay along with share permissions when you fit a new drive (as long as it has the same drive letter and folder structure)

The file/folder permissions (NTFS ACLS) are stored on the disc - as others have said, you can back those up with robocopy /sec or xcopy /o to your backup drive and then reverse the process to the new drive.

7. Thanks to srochford from:

Gatt (6th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys - I'll look over Robocopy again and see if I can suss out how to copy the permissions over - may just blank the backup drive and recopy with robocopy and the correct switches

despite the SMART error - there does not yet appear to be any problems on the disk - but would rather get it swapped sooner rather than later...

Thank Post
    Can't you use MS Backup in order to take a full backup of all drives with system state?

When you replace the drive you should be able to check consistency and rebuild the Raid 10 array in the RAID BIOS with no dataloss?

Oh and having Raid 0 for the O/S is a really bad idea.

Good luck!!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Oh and having Raid 0 for the O/S is a really bad idea.
    Having RAID 0 is a bad idea for any data you'd be bothered about losing lol! Technically it's not even RAID on account of no 'Redundancy'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Gatt
    Snap! Same problem. Though I replaced failed drive today to find the array won't rebuild due to errors on two others!
    Squeaky bum time!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Having RAID 0 is a bad idea for any data you'd be bothered about losing lol! Technically it's not even RAID on account of no 'Redundancy'.
    only way i use raid 0 is my home nas box which is my backup so if that dies all ive lost is my copy spare copy of the data

Thank Post
    Got the NTFS permission problem sorted - How to preserve NTFS permissions when in a mess.. - Gatt's Ramblings
    Tomorrow will involve inserting the new disk and creating a new array with RAID! (1+0?) then restoring the data..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Tomorrow will involve inserting the new disk and creating a new array with RAID! (1+0?)
    What data is actually on this array? That should really determine your RAID type. If you need performance then RAID 10 will be a good start, but you'll need at least 4 disks. If you don't need performance, just redundancy, you could do 3 disks in RAID 5.

Thank Post
    replaced the disk this morning..
    It was actaully the OS Disk Array which was RAID1+0 - it receovered itself correctly and rebooted
    However dueing the reboot it then decided that the Data Array needed to be check so rebooted and it went through a scandisk - for a good hour!

Its now back up and running but with a fue more issues.. mainly SCCM refuses to start with an error about the MMC Console (screenshots to follow) either being corrupt/missing, wrong version or something about security permissions..
    Site Repair bombs out, as does trying to re-apply the default file and registry permissions when using SCCM Setup...

There appears to be an awful lot of errors on the server now (SCCM, WDS wont start, Event Log showing a lot of warnings

Beginning to think the whole server is a lost cause and may need to rebuild it

It took may ages to get WDS / MDT and SCCM working - and now looks like I'm going to have to start from scratch again

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12