+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7410 in Technical; I am doing this implementation and i am really excited. It contains Sun Fire x4450 (Clustered) servers and Sun Unifed ...

Thank Post

Sun Storage 7410

I am doing this implementation and i am really excited. It contains Sun Fire x4450 (Clustered) servers and Sun Unifed Storage 7410 with 6 J4400 JBODs. There are around 20 Windows Vista clients which will access the storage space of the 7410 and the JBODs. Please advise me on how i can be able to make the storage space accessable by the windpws clients via the network. The connectivity is not clear to me. Thanks in advacne for your help.

With Regards,

2. Thanks to wubantos from:

Hebdenlad (10th January 2011)

Thank Post
    6x J4400s?! O_O

If you haven't got the box yet then you can download the simulator to try this, but either way:

The S7000 has CIFS/SMB support, which is basically Windows Shares. You make a new filesystem, enable CIFS on it and give the share a name, then set permissions on it and that's pretty much it. Your users can then directly contact the share via \\S7410hostname\sharename. The alternative is to map block-level access to a Windows server via iSCSI then share that storage via a share on the Windows server, but going direct to the S7410 has many benefits.

Here's what you need to read: BigAdmin Feature Article: Microsoft Windows Integration on the Sun Storage 7000 Unified Storage System

Chris

4. Thanks to Duke from:

Hebdenlad (10th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks, i think in i was wrong, the number of JOBDs is 4. I will let you know my progress. Thnks once again

Thank Post
    Haha, 4's still quite a lot! What are you using the storage for and what type of RAID and pool layout are you using (just out of interest)?

That BigAdmin document should get you sorted out, if not drop Phil Lawrence (Hebdenlad) at Oracle a PM and he should be able to help you out.

Thank Post
    The storager is used to capture store video datas captured by an application. I still dont figure it out the storage pool layout should look like. Regading the RAID , i think i will go for RAID 5.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wubantos View Post
    The storager is used to capture store video datas captured by an application. I still dont figure it out the storage pool layout should look like. Regading the RAID , i think i will go for RAID 5.
    I think it'd be worth looking at RAID6 if your pools are going to be big (e.g. take up most of a J4400). Assuming you've got 1TB disks then your pools will be quite large which will lead to longer rebuild times if a disk fails. RAID6 and two hot-spares is a fairly common setup if you can afford to lose a bit of usable space.

Thank Post
    by the way, there is Sun StorageTek SL500 tape storage also. can u give me important info on how to config this storage with Veritas netbackup 6.5. thxs

Thank Post
    I haven't got any details on that so can't be of much help. I don't know any of Sun's tape kit really, is it a standalone device or does it hook up to a server via SCSI? If the latter then use the Veritas drivers and NetBackup (if it's anything like Backup Exec) will do a fairly good job of handling it for you. I think you might need to contact Symantec (who now own Veritas) support on this one if you get stuck - not that they're generally much use.

Thank Post
    thankyou

Thank Post
    HI, by the way some one who was dealing with the J4400 told me that, he made it CIFS and it was creating a problem in that the file saved in the storage gets lost after some time and He also made it ZFS , but is ZFS accessible by Windows clients??, and if it does, is it better than CIFS?? Since the J4400 are 4, is there any other way of configuring them with 7410 to optimize the speed and performance.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Thanks for the posting. Who over in Africa is looking after you? Is it our people out of South Africa? They should be able to help you at a local level but in the meantime... we have had no reports of "lost files" in an S7000 configuration. The challenge some people face is ensuring that they are running the latest code and setting the relevant permissions based on the data in the CIFS shares.

As Chris *Duke) has pointed out there is a wealth of information available regarding CIFS/SMB implementation on the S7000 and I think you'll find that most people on here who have the S7000 are using them in a Windows environment.

If you need any more help then please do not hesitate to contact me on here.

Warmest regards,

Phil

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread