+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, S7000 and Symantec BackupExec in Technical; Good news Edugeekers! With the release of 2010.Q3.2 we now have support for Symantec BackupExec 2010 R2. On the 7000 ...
    Thank Post

S7000 and Symantec BackupExec

Good news Edugeekers!

With the release of 2010.Q3.2 we now have support for Symantec BackupExec 2010 R2.

On the 7000 side, 2010.Q3.2 is the bare minimum for support, it is absolutely required to upgrade to this version in order to integrate with BackupExec.

On the BackupExec side, BackupExec 2010 R2 with DDI Hotfix 20101215 is absolutely required. This is the first software release that will recognize the 7000 appliance.

HCL Link:

Enterprise Support - Symantec Corp. - Backup Exec 2010|2010 R2 Hardware (HCL)

Hotfix Link:

Enterprise Support - Symantec Corp. - Backup Exec 2010 R2 revision 4164 Hotfix 143981 (DDI20101215 Device Driver Installer)

All 700 platforms are supported (both the 7x10 and 7x20)

Happy New Year to you all and hopefully see you at BETT this year. Oracle have a small presence this year as it's the first time we've done it and are testing it out so please come and visit our stand.

Here's the link to it on the BETT website:

Bett 2011 : Floor Plan

Warmest regards,

Phil

Thank Post
    Hi Phil - The Symantec docs aren't exactly clear, can you confirm exactly what this update will offer? I can already backup either visible shares (i.e. not hidden $ shares or system shares) via CIFS or all shares on the system via NDMP. What extra stuff does this update enable?

Cheers!
    Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Hi Phil - The Symantec docs aren't exactly clear, can you confirm exactly what this update will offer? I can already backup either visible shares (i.e. not hidden $ shares or system shares) via CIFS or all shares on the system via NDMP. What extra stuff does this update enable?

Cheers!
    Chris
    Chris,

It means that we provide support for Symantec Backup Exec on the S7000 range. We had it in the very early days but Symantec rewrote a great deal of the code and we needed to re-certify it. This work has been done and it is now fully supported providing the relevant version is used and the hotfixes applied as per the posting.

I do have to state that "there are other backup software applications available from other vendors" some of which may or may not be supported on the S7000.

WR

Phil

Thank Post
    So presumably we're just talking official compatibility rather than specific new features? Off the top of your head, I don't suppose if you know whether this'll resolve the 'Could not completely protect remote computers because the Backup Exec Remote Agent was not installed.' error that Backup Exec gives when backing up an S7000 via CIFS rather than NDMP? Backup Exec always looks for an agent, even if it doesn't actually need one to backup the data. Because I'm going via CIFS, Backup Exec assumes it's talking to a Windows server and wants the Windows (BEWS) Agent installed...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    So presumably we're just talking official compatibility rather than specific new features? Off the top of your head, I don't suppose if you know whether this'll resolve the 'Could not completely protect remote computers because the Backup Exec Remote Agent was not installed.' error that Backup Exec gives when backing up an S7000 via CIFS rather than NDMP? Backup Exec always looks for an agent, even if it doesn't actually need one to backup the data. Because I'm going via CIFS, Backup Exec assumes it's talking to a Windows server and wants the Windows (BEWS) Agent installed...
    Chris,

we haven't actually implemented any new features in this code release. Typically new features are released in the major Q1 and Q3 releases. We use the minor ones (like this one) for bug fixes and enhancements to the application support. Hence we now "certify" Symantec Backup Exec running against the S7000 range. I'll see what I can find out about the issue you have but it might be a Backup Exec thing rather than an S7000 thing....

WR

Phil

Thank Post
    I think it's probably a Backup Exec thing, I just wondered since they'd put it on the HCL it would appear as a supported device - maybe that still only applies via NDMP? I'll do some digging when I get time, don't worry.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread