+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, What wireless router for home use with Sky BB? in Technical; I'm with Sky for broadband and have meaning to do something about the crummy Netgear DG934G they supplied. The speed ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

What wireless router for home use with Sky BB?

I'm with Sky for broadband and have meaning to do something about the crummy Netgear DG934G they supplied.

The speed is an issue ( wife and daughter spend most of the time using YouTube and BBC iPlayer ) and also I'm not happy with the fact I'm stuck with WPA-TKIP.

I've been thinking of getting a Netgear RangeMax Premium Wireless-N Gigabit Router, turning off wireless on the DG934G, and letting it take care of the wireless for me. Is anyone else doing this or similar?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I'm with Sky for broadband and have meaning to do something about the crummy Netgear DG934G they supplied.

The speed is an issue ( wife and daughter spend most of the time using YouTube and BBC iPlayer ) and also I'm not happy with the fact I'm stuck with WPA-TKIP.

I've been thinking of getting a Netgear RangeMax Premium Wireless-N Gigabit Router, turning off wireless on the DG934G, and letting it take care of the wireless for me. Is anyone else doing this or similar?
    I have the same router and replaced the wifi role myself recently. I wouldnt buy the netgear as I have heard bad things and seen poor reviews tbh.
    I bought a BELKIN Play Max Wireless ADSL Router - Black at cheap prices | PC World and found it to work very well and its nice having the 5GHz band for devices that support it as no one around my flat has a 5GHz hub yet.

3. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

tech_guy (22nd December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I have the same router and replaced the wifi role myself recently. I wouldnt buy the netgear as I have heard bad things and seen poor reviews tbh.
    Are you meaning the DGN3500? If so I have one here and its been great, just ensure you upgrade the firmware as soon as it arrives otherwise it does have issues. Too many people don't upgrade them which has resulted in the large number of complaint posts about that model.

5. Thanks to john from:

tech_guy (4th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    I was thinking of the 3700 as that seems very popular - I would get either a netgear or linksys.

7. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    For what it's worth (a month or so on from when you posted this) I do exactly that at my house. The Sky router is sat by the phone line and I have a sensibly located Netgear N-Max Router which I'd bought for my old Virgin connection, which then gives lovely coverage to the whole house (it's quite a big house, but it works well).

9. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I still haven't done anything yet as a shed load of things have happened since to knock this job well down my list of priorities.

Thank Post
    I need to look at whether the Netgear I have for Sky has an update available, as since moving to our new house we don't get good coverage and the missus is always nagging me about it....... Failing that I need to get my 3Com router back from my Sister and use that instead!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As far as I'm aware you can't update the Sky Netgear yourself - Sky are supposed to push them out - unless you're really naughty and flash it yourself

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries

14. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post

Sky Routers

Be aware that part of Sky's T&C's is/was that you use the router that they supply and no other.

You will need a password as well, it isn't your sky account password, but one that is generated based on MAC of the router - a quick google or look at the unofficial sky user website will give you a site to do that.

I used a draytek ethernet modem on my sky connection, then passed through a Juniper SSG5 (I wanted to keep my network separate from my test systems and the various machines that people ask me to look at) and onto a TimeCapsule for wifi access, and it worked very well, and gave me sterling service whilst I was on Sky - but then I moved and couldn't keep my 7.50 a month 20MB connection although I still use the same setup on my new provider.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robdaglish View Post
    Be aware that part of Sky's T&C's is/was that you use the router that they supply and no other.

You will need a password as well, it isn't your sky account password, but one that is generated based on MAC of the router - a quick google or look at the unofficial sky user website will give you a site to do that.

I used a draytek ethernet modem on my sky connection, then passed through a Juniper SSG5 (I wanted to keep my network separate from my test systems and the various machines that people ask me to look at) and onto a TimeCapsule for wifi access, and it worked very well, and gave me sterling service whilst I was on Sky - but then I moved and couldn't keep my 7.50 a month 20MB connection although I still use the same setup on my new provider.
    Word of warning sky can tell if you replace their router even if you set the new router to the old routers mac as they have a stealth port for remote firmware which obviously wont work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I was thinking of the 3700 as that seems very popular - I would get either a netgear or linksys.
    Its replacement (the WNDR3800) is out soon...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/n...of-other-wire/

Thank Post
    Sky don't actually care if you dont use the router provided as logn as you dont ask them for help with your broadband, always plug in yout sky router when contacting them.]

I break the T and Cs on my broadband because I don't use the right router and the engineer never plugged my box into a phoneline and tey have never complained and when they did, I amde them check their notes, they did, they said it was their fault but werent going to send anyone to fix it. I'll use this fact escape a contratc one day maybe!

I've used the router provided on and off, tbh the ones they provide are of poor quality and I got 2 dead on arrival, they also lack so many features. I use a Linksys router at the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Sky don't actually care if you dont use the router provided as logn as you dont ask them for help with your broadband, always plug in yout sky router when contacting them.]

I break the T and Cs on my broadband because I don't use the right router and the engineer never plugged my box into a phoneline and tey have never complained and when they did, I amde them check their notes, they did, they said it was their fault but werent going to send anyone to fix it. I'll use this fact escape a contratc one day maybe!

I've used the router provided on and off, tbh the ones they provide are of poor quality and I got 2 dead on arrival, they also lack so many features. I use a Linksys router at the moment.
    Hmm skyuser.co.uk seemed to say some members had been caught before, I wish that sky would let me replace it officially tbh.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Hmm skyuser.co.uk seemed to say some members had been caught before, I wish that sky would let me replace it officially tbh.
    I agree with both * looks whistfully at DGN2000 router I can't quite bring myself to pass on/sell *

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread