+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Remotely reboot modem in Technical; Hi, I am having a few teething problems with our new fibre broadband modem which occassionally needs to be rebooted. ...

Thank Post

Remotely reboot modem

Hi,

I am having a few teething problems with our new fibre broadband modem which occassionally needs to be rebooted. Not the best method when your sat at home and relying on it for remote access.

Has anyone used a device to recycle the power?

I am looking at one of these Digidave.co.uk for all your broadband needs! > Main Section > REMOTE POWER SWITCHES > IP Power 9258S Web Power switch + Power Reboot by Ping which 'seems' to do what I want... especially when I purchase a second ADSL line.

Thank Post
    You any good with electronics? If so ASDA have 3 wireless standard plug sockets for £5. I have no idea what RF they use or anything but if you are able to modify one it seems like a very cheap way to go about it.

Thank Post
    If anyone is interested in this, I purchased one of these and set it up today.

It has 4 power ports (you can get adapters so you can use plugs) and it allows you to configure each port seperately. You can schedule power downs like most UPS devices but what I wanted was the power down by ping.

You set a IP address that you can ping (I set our ISP's DNS server) and then it allows you to set the ping options... how long between pings... how many missed pings before the device is rebooted and how long before the process starts again.

I have just set it up with our BT fibre modem which goes off sometimes and needs a reboot and when I tested it by removing the phone line it worked a treat... after 2 hours of use I heartily recommend it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread