+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Hardware Thread, HP Pro-Curve 5308xl Modules? in Technical; We need to stick a new module in our switch, but our cabling company claims that modules for a HP ...
  1. #1

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241

    HP Pro-Curve 5308xl Modules?

    We need to stick a new module in our switch, but our cabling company claims that modules for a HP Pro-Curve 5308xl are now obsolete and therefore we can't get our hands on one.

    Can anyone shine any light on this for me? We're only after a basic 24-port 10/100 module for it, and I find it hard to believe that these are no longer available for this model.

  2. #2

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    P.S. I think the part number is:
    J4820A

  3. #3

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,176
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 773 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    335

  4. Thanks to teejay from:

    Hightower (13th December 2010)

  5. #4

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    From all my Googling it appears that it is indeed discountinued.

    Anybody got an old module (working) that they want to sell on to us?

  6. #5

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,176
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 773 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    335
    Seems to be available direct from HP Parts, link in previous post, there is also a 2nd hand 5308 on fleabay with 5 x J4820A in it HP ProCurve 5308xl J4819A / J4820A /J4821A switch+mods on eBay (end time 25-Dec-10 11:33:28 GMT)

  7. #6

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Seems to be available direct from HP Parts, link in previous post, there is also a 2nd hand 5308 on fleabay with 5 x J4820A in it HP ProCurve 5308xl J4819A / J4820A /J4821A switch+mods on eBay (end time 25-Dec-10 11:33:28 GMT)
    £500 is a lot of money when we just need 1 module. I've seen 2nd hand parts on Google Shopping for around £100 so that may be an option.

    As for the part being available - I can't see that.... I entered the part number in the UK site of HP, and it came up saying it had been replaced with part number J4820-69301, and that it costs over a grand - silly money for a little module.

  8. #7

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,176
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 773 Times in 583 Posts
    Rep Power
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    £500 is a lot of money when we just need 1 module. I've seen 2nd hand parts on Google Shopping for around £100 so that may be an option.

    As for the part being available - I can't see that.... I entered the part number in the UK site of HP, and it came up saying it had been replaced with part number J4820-69301, and that it costs over a grand - silly money for a little module.
    The ebay one is for the complete switch with 5 of the units you want. Buy it, rip out the one you want, stick a blanking plate in, back on ebay for £500 ;-)
    Yes, the unit via HP is expensive

  9. #8

    Hightower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,920
    Thank Post
    494
    Thanked 690 Times in 444 Posts
    Rep Power
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    The ebay one is for the complete switch with 5 of the units you want. Buy it, rip out the one you want, stick a blanking plate in, back on ebay for £500 ;-)

    Yes, the unit via HP is expensive
    I'm sure the older one only cost £300-£400, so how come the replacement is 3 times as much?! It seems stupid.

    As for buying, and reselling the unit - it's a lot of hassle. I have opened up a thread in classified to see if anyone has an old one they no longer need, and if not I guess I'll just buy a used one from Google Shopping: HP Expansion module - 24 ports

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [For Sale] blackberry curve 8900
    By nephilim in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd November 2010, 08:48 PM
  2. Virtual Servers & Desktop replacement curve-ball
    By kennysarmy in forum Thin Client and Virtual Machines
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th January 2010, 11:18 AM
  3. [For Sale] Digidesign Pro Tools LE 8 Upgrade (Pro Audio Software)
    By adamchapman in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 8th August 2009, 10:36 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •