+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Advice on a new laptop in Technical; Well I have been given the go ahead to get a new laptop. I have decide that I want to ...
    Thank Post

Advice on a new laptop

Well I have been given the go ahead to get a new laptop. I have decide that I want to be able to use it while at home to play my online games too.

With changes weekly I just wondered if any of you have a laptop that you are doing the same with.

I also think I would like it to run vista at some stage.

Thank Post

Re: Advice on a new laptop

If it's a work laptop I would suggest not buying one for games for the following reasons:

1. How can you then tell teachers they arent allowed to install games because of network security, piracy, etc.
    2. How can you defend complaints that you sit playing games during work, even if you arent.
    3. Tax issues on personal usage- http://www.schoolsnetwork.org.uk/upl...A06_124051.pdf - see page 6

If you buy one for games, you are opening yourself up a whole can of worms!

Thank Post

As Lee said not 100% a good idea, just be "sensible" with your purchase and justification. Buisness and pleasure dont always mix, but the lines often blurr

Thank Post

Lee point taken, but I would still like to here some recomendations.

I use my laptop to install and test many software applications that may or may not go on the network, including games that have been asked for by teachers for such things as after school computer club, and summer school clubs.

As for playing games during working hours..... I wish I don't even have enough time for dinner. As you may or may not be aware I'm emergrating to Oz and have a few months (as long as the visa goes through) left to finish what I started here. I want to hand over to the next person a network to be proud of not just a series of problems.

Thanks for pointing out the TAX issues, having worked in industry most of my IT life I have normally paid tax on a car, phone and a laptop so I am used to that although I think some teachers here,are in for a shock. But how much can you tax someone with a 4 year old laptop?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by edie209
    But how much can you tax someone with a 4 year old laptop?
    I've not seen anything regarding how amount will be figured out. I think they usually tax you on what it cost - depreciation. anybody?

Although it is four years old, laptops were more expensive then. Wasnt accusing you of playing games, i know what it's like working in ICT in schools, but i had a teacher give me a funny look today when they walked in and i was looking at "The Dude" network mapping software. I think they thought it was some strategy game or something, all those clouds, globes and lines, appearing over the screen.

Thank Post

Wasnt accusing you of playing games
    Lee I didn't for one miniute think that. Like you at work I like playing with techie stuff like the Dude and such

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread