+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, RM Slate 100 - Anyone got theirs yet? in Technical; Well, according to the site, mine has been dispatched and shall be with me tomorrow, but has anyone else got ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

RM Slate 100 - Anyone got theirs yet?

Well, according to the site, mine has been dispatched and shall be with me tomorrow, but has anyone else got theirs yet?
    For those of you who don't know, RM is releasing a 'full fat' slate. Intel Atom, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, multi-touch and all fro £399. Anyway the specs and a link are below:

Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

Processor: Intel Pineview-M N450 + ICH8M, 1.66 GHz

Connections: Bluetooth 2.1, EDR, integrated 802.11b/g/n WiFi

Processor speeds: 1.6GHz, 667MHz, 512K (200MHz)

Graphics option: discrete Broadcom Crystal 1080p HD Video Accelerator

Memory: 2Gb 800MHz DDR2

Mass storage memory: SSD 32GB

Battery: embedded Lithium-ion Polymer 2-cell (35.52Whr, 7.4V, 4800m Ah, 2S1P)

Battery life: over 3 hrs

Camera: 1.3M pixel (fix focus) webcam

Screen: TFT LCD 11.6" HD GLARE with increased view angle support (1366 X 768)

Touch panel: capacity multi-touch panel (real two points), display orientation (3-axis

sensing)

Audio: 2 X built-in speakers (1.5W), 1 X microphone

Interface: 26-pin dock connector, DC-in jack, Mini-HDMI, 2 X USB 2.0, OMTP jack, SD

card slot, SIM card slot

Total size: 295 X 195 X 14 mm

Total weight: 995g

Casing: Magnesium Alloy with rubberised grip finish

RM Slate 100

Thank Post
    Wifi wont be much use to you if want to connect to your network Windows 7 Home Premium cant connect to a domain

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kili View Post
    Wifi wont be much use to you if want to connect to your network Windows 7 Home Premium cant connect to a domain
    True but it could be used to access web-based content or a remote desktop. It also gives you a base license that your Schools Agreement can upgrade.

Thank Post
    Also why are you buying newly-released IT kit just before Xmas? Haven't you heard of New Year sales???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It can connect, it just cant join the domain but you can still get files etc.
    Considering most people using w7 using enterprise its just a quick wipe and off you go. Also you can buy an anytime upgrade to ultimate which will let you join.

Thank Post
    Thats a nice piece of kit for the price

If that sort of thing comes down to 299 and works with a decent win98 (I mean XP ) OS and they get a bigger battery then it could be a winner.

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Thats a nice piece of kit for the price

If that sort of thing comes down to 299 and works with a decent win98 (I mean XP ) OS and they get a bigger battery then it could be a winner.

Si
    TBH, XP will never see the light of day on these tablets. For a start it does not support multi-touch, and secondly...well....it's old. So there!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    It can connect, it just cant join the domain but you can still get files etc.
    Considering most people using w7 using enterprise its just a quick wipe and off you go. Also you can buy an anytime upgrade to ultimate which will let you join.
    Not if your using NTFS permissions you cant. If you cant authenticate with AD you wont have access to your files

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not if your using NTFS permissions you cant. If you cant authenticate with AD you wont have access to your files
    I think you may be mistaken, certainly in XP homes day you couldnt join a domain but you could easily authenticate with AD and the servers to access shares etc, you just couldnt login to the actual client as the networked username. I can find nothing to say vista/w7 have changed this and others say the same thing.
    If you plug a laptop into the network thats not domain joined and try to access \\{server on domain}\share all you would get is a prompt to login as an appropriate user.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    RM is releasing a 'full fat' slate. Intel Atom, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, multi-touch and all fro £399.
    I'm torn between the RM Slate 100 and the Dell Inspiron Duo - will both be on display on EduGeek's BETT stand?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I think you may be mistaken, certainly in XP homes day you couldnt join a domain but you could easily authenticate with AD and the servers to access shares etc, you just couldnt login to the actual client as the networked username. I can find nothing to say vista/w7 have changed this and others say the same thing.
    If you plug a laptop into the network thats not domain joined and try to access \\{server on domain}\share all you would get is a prompt to login as an appropriate user.
    If NTFS permissions are set correctly by OU group I cant see how you can access files you don't have permission to, as you've stated you'll get a prompt to login as a user. If you don't have an account in AD how do you do that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If NTFS permissions are set correctly by OU group I cant see how you can access files you don't have permission to, as you've stated you'll get a prompt to login as a user. If you don't have an account in AD how do you do that?
    He does have an account in AD though. So when prompted, he puts in his user details and has access. There's just no machine level access.

No ones saying its long term useable, but you can get access to domain hosted installers, etc

Thank Post
    No ones saying its long term useable,
    :cough:

I do this all the time in my primaries - I just run XP Home on netbooks and access files held on w2k3 servers. IME as long as you hand over the right user/name password - your in.

Unless MrGates old firm have gone to extraodinary lengths on crippling Win7 Home to block this facility I can't see it not working.

regards

Simon

rad
    Thank Post
    I'll sell you an RM "Slate" for £100, its running XP, looks pants and err is about 6 years old.

TBH, how many schools will want one of these? We have 2 that were used but are now collecting dust as they are too slow to work.

Thank Post
    Well I'm thinking that at the very minimum, it will make a better remote slate than the Smart Slate as teachers ill be able to see what they are writing on (as long as the lag for a local VNC session is OK that is)

And with the Smart slates costing £250 - £399 doesn't look too bad for the schools with more money than (the) sense (of a geekyICT Co-ord)

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast