+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, upgrading CD drive in RM nBook 4000 in Technical; I've got 17 RM nBook 4000 (CL51 model i think) laptops and have been asked to get them upgraded (more ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

upgrading CD drive in RM nBook 4000

I've got 17 RM nBook 4000 (CL51 model i think) laptops and have been asked to get them upgraded (more memory, new hard drives and probably dvd drives). I've managed to source memory and hard drives for them, now I just need to source a dvd drive for them and I'm stuck!

RM don't make a dvd drive for these, unless i can swap one in from a different model? I don't really know much about upgrading laptops apart from doing memory and hard drives!

any help much appreciated!

Thank Post

Re: upgrading CD drive in RM nBook 4000

I don't know if it will help your searching but the CL51 is not made by RM, but by Compal. They do have a spares centre/repair agent in the UK, so they might be able to help( http://www.compal.co.uk/ - search on edugeek for the phone number), but when I last called them they weren't really used to dealing with the public.
    TBH, I'd say you'd be lucky. The reason why you don't know much about upgrading laptops is because there isn't much to know! You can only really upgrade the memory and HD and usually the battery is knackered before you do either. The CD drives are generally non-standard (although we have the CL50 and they look the same.)
    Why do you need DVD? With your larger hard drives could you get away with making an image and running it of the hd?

EDIT: I've just looked on the compal site and there is a spreadsheet called 'spare parts for sale'. There are some dvds on there (@£25 each!) but if you email them to see if they are compatable, you might find you're lucky.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: upgrading CD drive in RM nBook 4000

ok, think I will be sticking with the cd drives we've got and just going with a larger hard drive. just got to look at the graphics on them now to see if they will be vista compliant...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread