+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Users Storage in Technical; Can i just ask, how much storage people are using for users home folders? We currently have 136Gb og space ...
    Thank Post

Users Storage

Can i just ask, how much storage people are using for users home folders?

We currently have 136Gb og space but only 91gb is taken up with just over a 1000+ users.

We are thinking of doing either...
    1, buying a NAS 1tb storage
    2, another server and sticking 136gb in it

What are you lot doing and what would be the better option???

I personally think that option 1 would be of more value to us

T

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Users Storage

I have a shiny new 2TB SnapServer (formatted space ~ 1.2TB when taking RAID and the like into account). We have ~600 pupils and 60 computer using staff. All the storage so far takes about ~120GB at the moment, so the NAS box is nice and future proofed at the moment.

I would say go with a NAS box and use iSCSI to connect it to your server. Works well for us.

(Also, we have a second 2TB NAS box which does all our backing up... Mustn't forget backing up!)

Thank Post

Re: Users Storage

Over the summer just gone we brought a HP Pro-reliant storage server running microsoft storage server OS. This has a 12 drive SATA drive array attached to it, which we currently have 9 250GB SATA drives atached to, giving us about 1.2TB of storage once we take into account RAID6, and a redundant drive, and we have 3 spare drive slots for future expansion.

This is divided up appropreately, and hosts all our Staff and student data, the staff public drive, students shared area, staff profiles, and 200GB is reserved for shadow copying (which is by far the cleverest feature of storage server) meaning lost or accidently deleted files can be restored by the actual user in seconds, there's a 30 day history stored for all folders. This server handles all our data storage except SQL server and Exchange which have their own local storage.

Current backups for all our network data including Exchange and SQL is about 320GB, but going up by around 1GB per day at the moment.

We also limit our space;
    All normal staff have 1GB, heads of dept have 2GB, ICT teachers, most of SLT, the head teacher and ourselves have no storage limits.

Students;
    Yr11 and 6th form have 1GB, year 10 have 750MB, year 9 have 250mb, years 7 and 8 have 150mb. We set the limits quite high, as we have the luxury of the space, and also most of year 10 and 11 do the DIDA course and work a lot with big graphics and video files.

That's a school of around 210 staff, and 1200 students. We worked out if all the staff and students used all the space they have allocated, we'd still have space to spare, which is good.

For our backups, we have shadow copying for instant data recovery of accidently deleted files, and a quantum superloader 3 LTO3 8 tape changer for overnight backups. Each tape stores 800GB (compressed) so plenty of spare capacity for backups at the moment. Problem is the tapes are abour £40 each I seem to remember, and the drive cost £1500 so not cheap, but very very reliable compared to other tape backup systems I've used. We were going to go for Veritas continued protection onto a 1.6TB external drive, but considered this a bit overkill in the end. We've had bad experiences of missing data in the past, hence he overkill on data backup!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I have a shiny new 2TB SnapServer (formatted space ~ 1.2TB when taking RAID and the like into account). We have ~600 pupils and 60 computer using staff. All the storage so far takes about ~120GB at the moment, so the NAS box is nice and future proofed at the moment.

I would say go with a NAS box and use iSCSI to connect it to your server. Works well for us.

(Also, we have a second 2TB NAS box which does all our backing up... Mustn't forget backing up!)
    Hiya,

Did you use the NAS part of it to connect to the domain and set NTFS permissions? We're looking at the 3TB model for snapserver 410 and were just wondering if its possible to share out a drive to this NAS unit and setup ACLs (NTFS) based on AD groups?

Anyone done this etc?

TIA,

Ash.

Thank Post
    Seperate 1TB drivers. One for staff, one for students

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Hiya,

Did you use the NAS part of it to connect to the domain and set NTFS permissions? We're looking at the 3TB model for snapserver 410 and were just wondering if its possible to share out a drive to this NAS unit and setup ACLs (NTFS) based on AD groups?

Anyone done this etc?

TIA,

Ash.
    If you can't do it that way, you could do a DFS root and use that as one of the sections and it should let you do it on the server. but you would have to hide the nas's shares so people can't find them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Hiya,

Anyone done this etc?

TIA,

Ash.
    No, I used it as a iSCSI SAN, so it is just set up with a big disk on a windows server, as if it were a locally connected device.

You can do NTFS permissions if you wish, but it is a lot more work to do it that way, rather than using it via iSCSI.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No, I used it as a iSCSI SAN, so it is just set up with a big disk on a windows server, as if it were a locally connected device.

You can do NTFS permissions if you wish, but it is a lot more work to do it that way, rather than using it via iSCSI.
    Its for our film/media studies students who need individual areas to store the captured videos and also any manipulation they do. Their main my docs are all on the servers that do connect to a SAN using iSCSI. I didn't want that amount of data on the main server so we are looking at the snap server just for film and media studies as i mentioned earlier.

Looking at the guardian OS v5 it may be possible to do NTFS permission as looking at the spec it does mention AD support and therefore support for AD users and groups.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed it is possible, but why not just create an iSCSI drive on it and then mount it on the main server? ie. it wouldn't be stored on it, but means you don't have yet another box to faff around with shares on?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread