+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Building a charging cupboard in Technical; As long as there not used at any HSE investigation - I'll see what I can do on Tuesday Si...

Thank Post
    As long as there not used at any HSE investigation - I'll see what I can do on Tuesday
    Si

Thank Post
    Loxit sell everything you need.

Buy two of these kits:
    Laptop Trolleys and Cabinets from Loxit. The Lapbank laptop Charging Kit for 20 Laptops. Also Networking and Secure Docking Options. Lapbank Notebook Trolleys for Best Security, Best Quality, Best Value for Money.

And 2 of these (they have 2 outputs on each, so you can run 2 x 10 way leads from the above kit from each one)
    Soft Start and Surge Protection for Loxit's Lapbank Range of Laptop Trolleys and laptop safes. For up to 24 Laptops. Electronically Phases the Start Up of Multiple Laptop Charging to Prevent Power Spikes and Conditions the Mains Input Prevents any El

That will give you enough for 40.

For ventilation, you can easily mount a standard small bathroom extractor inside the unit to extract hot air - the cupboard which contained the server at one of my previous schools had this done and it was surprisingly effective - fan at the top and 2 vents at the bottom meant you got a good flow of air through the cupboard.

The big question is, is it worth that much effort when you can quite easily buy ready made cabinets which you just plug in and go.
    Last edited by maniac; 21st November 2010 at 03:51 PM.

3. Thanks to maniac from:

titch (24th January 2011)

Thank Post
    As I said before, you don't need soft-start equipment if the mains wall switch is always on and your just plugging and un-pluging laptops one at a time

I always buy trolleys for my other schools as they are moved between classrooms and then stored in a corridor overnight.

But in this one ancient school, no classroom is on same level as any other and a trolley would just be used as a static cupboard anyway.

So I've saved at least 500 by just taking over the top half of an existing cupboard

Si

Thank Post
    Here is a picture of it in action
    At the moment the chargers are just lying around on at the back but I'm planning on mounting them using some velcro to the top - I'll re-upload when done (prob on Thursday)
    IMAG0434.jpg

6. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

Thank Post
    Hiya... wood, heat from 40 laptops and the shock HSE thing.. I agree with the posts about how you need to be really careful with power supply etc. Not a good idea I think. Copying the photos placed by Sysman could infringe intellectual property theft. Just think the hassle and Health and Safety involved is not worth it. Ta

8. Thanks to flowerpot78 from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the posts guys. Have finally finished my cupboard now and seems to be working well. Here are some piccies.

What do you think? Have measured electrics and attached RCD to socket as well. Seems to be going good.
    Last edited by titch; 24th January 2011 at 04:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by titch View Post
    What do you think? Have measured electrics and attached RCD to socket as well. Seems to be going good.
    Looks good, but as to the bold bit; why? All the PSUs will be insulated, and the kids only go near low voltage stuff, so you really aren't improving safety. True, it won't be less safe, but just something else to go wrong!

Thank Post
    reason I did it was because the box that those wall sockets are attached to have a 20a rcd so thought I would just bring it down a little bit to 13a, also if it did trip it wouldnt trip the other stuff in the ict suite (which I have infact unplugged from the relevant sockets for the time being). and on to a few cliches.....you can never be to careful + safety never sleeps. Did that make sense?

Thank Post
    20A breaker and 13A fuse are different to the (probably) 30mA/30ms RCDs. You are on the right lines wanting to achieve discrimination, but I'd almost put money on the RCD in the board being faster than the plug-top device.

An RCD has two specified parameters. The current which if you exceed it causes tripping, and how long at above that current it needs to be to cause that trip. "Normal" socket circuits are 30mA/30ms, but you can go as fast as 10ms for extra protection, or down to 300ms for fire protection, but not shock. In installations, you can only increase the time parameter if your earth loop resistance is suitably low.

13. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

titch (25th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Ncie work

Estimated cost?

Si

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Ncie work

Estimated cost?

Si
    4 x belkin extension leads with cover thingys 100
    1 x surge protected extension lead 5
    50 x cable clips 3
    10 x studs for extra shelves 3
    1 x rcd 10
    1 x Padlock + shackle for front 5

I got the extra shelves for free in the end so not sure what the timber would have cost. Took about half day of actual work to complete and tidy as well so I reckon 125 + my time all in. Think it suits our need better than a trolley as well. Maxes out at 7 amps when they are all charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    20A breaker and 13A fuse are different to the (probably) 30mA/30ms RCDs. You are on the right lines wanting to achieve discrimination, but I'd almost put money on the RCD in the board being faster than the plug-top device.

An RCD has two specified parameters. The current which if you exceed it causes tripping, and how long at above that current it needs to be to cause that trip. "Normal" socket circuits are 30mA/30ms, but you can go as fast as 10ms for extra protection, or down to 300ms for fire protection, but not shock. In installations, you can only increase the time parameter if your earth loop resistance is suitably low.
    Cheers for the info......not sure if to leave it in the socket or not now? might take another look at the board. Would love to take a basic sparkys course one day.........

Thank Post
    tempted to put some leds in it for a bit of a oooooh factor for the kids as well

Thank Post
    That'll just encourage tampering.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12