+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Lifespan of an Interactive Whiteboard in Technical; We're putting together long-term spending plans for IT support and development, and we got to thinking about our interactive boards. ...
    Thank Post

Lifespan of an Interactive Whiteboard

We're putting together long-term spending plans for IT support and development, and we got to thinking about our interactive boards. We know the rough lifespan of the projectors, but not the boards themselves - will they last forever or should we factor their replacement into things? If so, how many years of service can we expect from a Smart board?

With that, what sort of lifespan would be reasonable to predict for a Mimio? We're considering getting these since they're roughly half the price of a Smart board, but have a lot more to go wrong in them, so may not actually represent the saving we think they do when you take a long-term view of things.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    We're putting together long-term spending plans for IT support and development, and we got to thinking about our interactive boards. We know the rough lifespan of the projectors, but not the boards themselves - will they last forever or should we factor their replacement into things? If so, how many years of service can we expect from a Smart board?

With that, what sort of lifespan would be reasonable to predict for a Mimio? We're considering getting these since they're roughly half the price of a Smart board, but have a lot more to go wrong in them, so may not actually represent the saving we think they do when you take a long-term view of things.
    Hi I would also like to know the lifespan of Smart boards/ Polivision interactive boards. Dose anyone know?

Thank Post
    We have been using the Mimio Capture for the last six months in our lecture halls, its really fast and accurate, the math proffs love it for writing out streams of calculations.

But I don't see the Mimio lasting more than a year only because the electronic pens are flimsy, the actual device is not going to deteriorate too much just sitting on the white board.

I havent done proper cost analysis but the mimio electronic pens/ eraser all need batteries and the e-pens need whiteboard markers inside them to operate so over time not sure the cost is much less than a Smart board which we put on a three year replacement cycle.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,676 Posts
    Our smartboards are upwards of 8 years old and still working perfectly

5. Thanks to witch from:

enjay (25th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Excepting misadventure, we're seeing 7-ish years out of the Promethean boards. The reason we've replaced a couple is due to dead spots appearing.

We've replaced a few power supplies, though that may be down to flaky power here.

7. Thanks to pete from:

Thank Post
    Have many promethean boards over 5 years old now. I'd be very unimpressed if a board did not last 5+ years as they have no moving parts.

Butuz

9. Thanks to Butuz from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a bunch of Mimios and they seem to last alright, they are not used all day everyday though been a couple of years at least. They do eat batteries though, the old ones at least.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Excepting misadventure, we're seeing 7-ish years out of the Promethean boards.
    I think if I had to give a figure for our expected lifespan for them 7 years (on average) would probably be the number I'd go with. They should in theory last longer but you'll always get a few failures and it's always possible that they may eventually stop supporting older boards on newer versions of Windows/etc in time. Plus parts (PSU's/Pens/etc) for older models may become difficult to source.

Thank Post
    The main problem we have with Promethean boards, is either the Powersuplies burning out or the USB/Serial connectivity leads failing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,624 Posts
    My oldest promethean boards are coming up to 6 years old.

I had one fail under warranty (it delaminated) and I've had 1 power supply failure in 6 years with 9 boards.

15. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    I have Smartboards which are 6 years old and still going strong, we moved from promethian 6 years ago and not looked back.

17. Thanks to Disease from:

Thank Post
    I Emailed Steljes for you who are the distributor and everything else for SMARTBoards for an official lifespan. The answer came back that the official expected lifespan is between 5-8 years.

Hope this helps

Also if you are thinking of a whiteboard roll out i would suggest where possible to buy the kit in one. the discount level you can get for purchases over certain amounts is quite high on SMARTBoards. Myself and a colleague next to me both have done one recently and managed significant discounts for schools / companies that buy them in one go. SMARTBoard themselves like to bid for your custom
    Last edited by Poco; 25th November 2010 at 09:08 AM.

19. Thanks to Poco from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our older boards (7+ years) are now showing their age. Accuracy is falling, and in one case one side of the board is an inch off, whereas the other side is spot on.

Not gonna get replaced though! No money!

21. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    I cant comment on the smartboards but we have a Promeathean of over 12 years and still working perfectly. It's had new lamps / projectors obviously in this time.

Thank Post
    Smartboards have a 5 year warranty if you register for it. We have some that are 8+ years.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast