+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, New Major S7000 Software Release? in Technical; Anyone else seen this? Sun Storage 7000 2010.Q3.1.0 Release : Fishworks ak-2010.08.17.1.0 Release Notes - Fishworks - wikis.sun.com DFS and ...
    Thank Post

New Major S7000 Software Release?

Anyone else seen this?

Sun Storage 7000 2010.Q3.1.0 Release : Fishworks

ak-2010.08.17.1.0 Release Notes - Fishworks - wikis.sun.com

DFS and cross-forest AD support? Just reading the release notes now...

Chris

Thank Post
    Yeah, spotted that earlier.

Also spotted they'd been messing about with auth/contracts. Had to revalidate ours before I could download. Possibly LPOD-related, since it didn't use to check.

Thank Post
    I haven't tried the download but suppose I'd better check my account is still working...

EDIT: Just confirming I could log in and download with no problems.

Is there a way do view the appliance documentation without having to install the update and view the on-device wiki pages?

Active Directory cross-forest trust support
    This software release supports interoperability with the cross-forest trust feature found in Windows Server 2003 and later. This feature works automatically and requires no configuration on the appliance.
    Soo, if the S7000 is on Domain A does this mean I can directly add users/groups from Domain B without having to make a group on Domain A which contains those users, and add that Domain A group?

Windows File Sharing Standalone DFS Root
    In this release, appliances can act as standalone DFS root servers for Windows File Sharing clients. See the product documentation for details on this feature, which can be configured using standard Microsoft tools.
    Can someone explain this or provide docs for it? Presumably NTFRS still isn't supported, but I can now use the S7000 as one of the root servers that provides DFS referral to a list of shares? For example (no NTFRS here - just DFS), I might currently have WinServerA and WinServerB as DFS roots that were offering DFS targets via \\domain.local\dfs\whatever from just shares on the S7000. If I made the S7000 an additional DFS root server, could I then take down both WinServerA and WinServerB and DFS would still be functional as one of the DFS servers (the S7000) and the box that provided the actual shares (the S7000) would still be up?

EDIT:

Source-aware routing
    This release allows administrators to select from three network routing policies governing how network traffic from the appliance to clients will be directed to one of the available network interfaces. This feature can be used to enable interoperability with network environments in which there may be multiple valid paths to some or all clients. Consult the product documentation for a detailed explanation of these options and how to set the policy.
    Does this solve the problem of limiting/securing access for virtual machines? I couldn't find the exact thread I'm thinking of, but there was discussion of the best way to secure NFS/VMware (or XEN, whatever) on the S7000. Some people have VLANs, some have separate storage networks, but if you were stuck using the same IP range, could you use this to say 'no-one but my VM hosts talk to this NIC, and only this NIC can talk to my VM NFS share!'?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 30th September 2010 at 11:11 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread