+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Printer Leasing in Technical; ARGH!! Printers, so evil!! I hate our Epson C1100's!! I'm going to hire a skip, put them in it, cover ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Printer Leasing

ARGH!! Printers, so evil!!

I hate our Epson C1100's!! I'm going to hire a skip, put them in it, cover them in some sort of flammable liquid and set them alight....

BUT before i do that, i need to replace them. I'm looking for a lease i think. I've got 2 suppliers busy crunching numbers or something lol. So whilst i wait are there any other suggestions out there?

Its a mix of mono and colour lasers. Some of them are heavily used. The C1100's cost us a fortune to run, i actually think it will be cheaper for us!!!

Help!

Thank Post
    We've got a lot of Samsung CLP-620ND here as well as the Samsung ML-4550 and the smaller ML-2855ND. All good printers.

All on a pay per copy lease.

3. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Little-Miss (24th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Have you thought about going down the MFP route and also considering cutting down on the number of devices you have? We have just removed 70 laser printers from in offices and replaced with 2 MFPs. Saved something like 20k over 2 years which is our lease period.

5. Thanks to MatthewL from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    Have you thought about going down the MFP route and also considering cutting down on the number of devices you have? We have just removed 70 laser printers from in offices and replaced with 2 MFPs. Saved something like 20k over 2 years which is our lease period.
    Does that work in a way that they have to visit the printer to release their job? I'm just thinking about confidential printing. I'm not sure I'd want to print letters for example and then have to travel to the other side of school to collect them, by which time somebody has gone in and done their photocopying and shoved the letters on the side as they so often do with things left on the copier.

How have you located them? We went through the same discussion and I can see the argument put forward for needing dedicated printers in key areas.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oki are good printers, but what i would do is get B&W printers in most of the locations, and only get colour for locations that require them as that would keep the cost down. as the main pitfall you find is if someone printers a piece of paper but for example it has one letter which is red then you will be charged for a colour print which is more than a B&W print. so always do as much as you can to use B&W

James.

8. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Oki are good printers, but what i would do is get B&W printers in most of the locations, and only get colour for locations that require them as that would keep the cost down. as the main pitfall you find is if someone printers a piece of paper but for example it has one letter which is red then you will be charged for a colour print which is more than a B&W print. so always do as much as you can to use B&W

James.
    Default all colours to black and white.

I'd also say get some good print management software in place so you can audit what is printed and let people know exactly what they're paying etc.

10. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    We have a handful of Xerox Phaser 8560 wax printers on the LNL Printers for Schools scheme, and they're excellent. Storing the wax blocks is a whole lot more efficient than toners (they're tiny!) and you can top the printer up on the go without waiting for it to run out first.

12. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Default all colours to black and white.

I'd also say get some good print management software in place so you can audit what is printed and let people know exactly what they're paying etc.
    Defaulting them yes is an option, but just in case you have not come across it yourself some printers out there either do not have that option (REALLY) and/ may not have B&W Drivers.

as for the Print Management software, Little Miss uses PaperCut.

James.

14. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    ARGH!! Printers, so evil!!

I hate our Epson C1100's!! I'm going to hire a skip, put them in it, cover them in some sort of flammable liquid and set them alight....

BUT before i do that, i need to replace them. I'm looking for a lease i think. I've got 2 suppliers busy crunching numbers or something lol. So whilst i wait are there any other suggestions out there?

Its a mix of mono and colour lasers. Some of them are heavily used. The C1100's cost us a fortune to run, i actually think it will be cheaper for us!!!

Help!

without meaning to sound annoying skip hire companies charge you loads if you set fire to things inside there skips

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    without meaning to sound annoying skip hire companies charge you loads if you set fire to things inside there skips
    We got charged more for losing the locking pin at the end (had a openable back) compared to the fire.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    TBH I think your first job is to try and reduce the number of printers you have. When I got here, there were 15 printers and now we have 6 which obviously has saved a great deal of money. It has also made people use the photcopiers more (hurray!) as they have to walk to the nearest printer so they might as well walk to the photocopier!

18. Thanks to witch from:

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    On the less helpful side, by setting fire to them you miss the fantastic opportunity to batter them flat with a hugh hammer.

The stress relief of hammering them is a quantum leap beyond the stress relief of torching them - the other option is to nuke the site from orbit...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We replaced around 50 printers over the summer like for like (Still a massive cost saving) the cost at present on the lease per year is 2K less than the consumables budget used last year We're using Samsung CLP620 Colour and ML8255N Mono A4, Konica Minolta Bizhub c10 MFPs A4 and OKI ES8430 Colour A3. So we've removed all of the old printers (sold them off to staff) and got new printers everywhere, over the course of the lease we'll look at fine tuning the amount of printers down to the bare necessities whilst slowly moving over to Electronic Submission and Marking hopefully by the end of the lease we'll have reduced this by ten or more after that well we'll see. I do want to drop the pages printed to around 25% (of current use) over the next 3 years though then it's only the admin and SMT who'll hopefully be printing.

PM me if you want to know who we used.

Wes

21. Thanks to wesleyw from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this the right time for this video?

(should be the right one from the Google, but page itself is blocked for me, can't be faffed letting it through to be sure)

23. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Thank Post
    Have a look at Ricoh, if you go direct to them you will get Catalyst pricing which makes them very cheap to run. You get charged a cost per page which includes toners and all maintenance including 4 hour on-site support. There are no minimum pages count charges, they are cracking printers, not the cheapest to buy but when you do the total cost of ownership calculations they work out a lot cheaper.

25. Thanks to teejay from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast