+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, New Oracle S7000 Hardware in Technical; Loads of announcements coming from OracleWorld. Oracle has finally announced the new storage from the Fishworks team. Sun ZFS Storage ...
    Thank Post

New Oracle S7000 Hardware

Loads of announcements coming from OracleWorld.

Oracle has finally announced the new storage from the Fishworks team.

• Sun ZFS Storage 7120, up to 120Tb RAW
    • Sun ZFS Storage 7320, up to 192Tb RAW
    • Sun ZFS Storage 7420, up to 1.15Pb RAW
    • Sun ZFS Storage 7720, up to 720Tb RAW

More details can be found on Oracle web site here.

Also note a new Fishwork software update, Sun Storage 7000 2010.Q1.3.0 available here.

2. Thanks to apaton from:

Duke (21st September 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Shiny Shiny Oracle Storage

I'll take a 7120 please

Thank Post
    7x20 and bad news.
    Oracle array users skid off 7410 road map EOL procedure leaves array users boxed in
    A European Oracle 7410 array user has been told no more upgrades are possible after the end of the month - despite the fact that he only bought the 7410 this year.
    Oracle upgraded its 7000 open unified storage line last month. The products use ZFS. The existing 7110, 7310 and 7410 products were replaced by 7120, 7320 and 7420 ZFS Storage Appliance products.

Oracle array users skid off 7410 road map ? Channel Register

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by user469 View Post
    7x20 and bad news.
    Oracle array users skid off 7410 road map EOL procedure leaves array users boxed in
    A European Oracle 7410 array user has been told no more upgrades are possible after the end of the month - despite the fact that he only bought the 7410 this year.
    Oracle upgraded its 7000 open unified storage line last month. The products use ZFS. The existing 7110, 7310 and 7410 products were replaced by 7120, 7320 and 7420 ZFS Storage Appliance products.

Oracle array users skid off 7410 road map ? Channel Register
    Interesting, I've already solved my limited storage capacity issues with my 7110, which clearly Channel Register don't know about the range in enough depth / read the spec sheet, as the 7110s have never been expandable by any offical means.

I see it as more of someone over-reacting, surely if JBODs are left in the channel then they will be sold, but as the new range uses a new JBOD chassis then its bound to end production one day of the older chassis that's common place, just like why can't I buy an extra CPU for a G3 HP ProLiant Server as a new part....

6. Thanks to john from:

Hebdenlad (25th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    I wish more SANs and NASs used ZFS (not just Oracle's). It is seriously cool, especially when you have SSDs for the ZIL and L2ARC.

Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    Sun ZFS Storage 7120, up to 120Tb RAW
    Sun ZFS Storage 7320, up to 192Tb RAW
    Sun ZFS Storage 7420, up to 1.15Pb RAW
    Sun ZFS Storage 7720, up to 720Tb RAW
    Terabits and Petabits?

Thank Post
    So.... (deep breath),

All technology moves forward and at some point hardware manufacturers, in fact all manufacturers, have to stop making the old stuff just in case some one might buy it at some point.

With the S7000 we have, since launch back in 2008, been significantly ahead of the competition in terms of CPU, memory, licence free methodology, DTrace, etc., etc. and some of this bleeding edge approach means that some technology gets left behind. We have seen the S7000 go from quad core AMD to 6 core AMD in less than a year and now we have moved to the Intel Nehelam chip to deliver even greater performance.

Looking at our disk technology we started out with SAS-1 for the S7000 using a combination of SSDs and large slow RPM drives and ZFS to deliver a unique storage offering - the Hybrid Storage Pool. Earlier this year we started offering the SAS-2 disk shelves that bring larger drive capacity; reduced failover time in a cluster; easier addition of LogZillas (write optimised SSDs) as well as dual ported drives. The launch of these new drives signalled to the IT community (and competitors) that we are still ahead of the game and that new customers can take advantage of this faster technology. I'm not sure how many of the serious competitors have SAS-2 available but I'm sure someone on here will tell me.

Now because we've launched the new stuff the old stuff will only have a limited shelf life and we are working to ensure that all customers who have invested in the S7310 and S7410 models since 2008 have a planned course of action to take advantage of the new SAS-2 disk shelves.

For those of you that have bought S7310 and S7410 models and expect to increase capacity over the coming months can you please touch base with me so we can ensure your requirements are met. For those customers who expect their increases in capacity to occur in the future again can you please contact me so we can work with you to ensure that you understand how we can help you grow going forward.

You all know how to get hold of me I'm sure but failing that just post a message on here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

The S7000 is a brilliant, disruptive technology and Oracle is fully committed to it as part of our core storage strategy going forward. There are some exciting developments in the S7000 technology coming down the line and it's a great technology to invest in... (sales pitch over - I just you guys to be happy using our stuff).

Enjoy the rest of your week and for those of you on half term I am NOT in the least bit jealous as I have a packed week going here, there and everywhere

Warmest regards,

Phil

Thank Post
    I haz a sad. (S7410 user)

Can't we just get SAS-2 cards for the 7410 (yes, and throw away a perfectly good JBOD to buy two new SAS-2 ones)? Not ideal but would that work?

In and out the office all week if you want to give me call, Phil.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I haz a sad. (S7410 user)

Can't we just get SAS-2 cards for the 7410 (yes, and throw away a perfectly good JBOD to buy two new SAS-2 ones)? Not ideal but would that work?

In and out the office all week if you want to give me call, Phil.
    Chris, Am in Frankfurt without my work phone - it went screwy on Thursday and I'm still waiting for Vodafone to send me a new one... Unlikely they'll send one here...

Back in the UK and in TVP (Reading) on Thursday so let's chat then.

And we do have an answer for you.

Thank Post
    No worries, I know we'll figure something out (not exactly using all that 14TB yet...)

Chris

Thank Post
    The over-reaction its due to the short lifetime of the product of just two years , usually customer buy product and expect to use it for at least five years .
    ( but in recent time its best not to use it more than three years , to keep up with innovation )
    Apart form Oracle motivation i see only many disappointed customer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by user469 View Post
    The over-reaction its due to the short lifetime of the product of just two years , usually customer buy product and expect to use it for at least five years .
    ( but in recent time its best not to use it more than three years , to keep up with innovation )
    Apart form Oracle motivation i see only many disappointed customer
    True I expect a minimum of 5 years life out of my 7110, and its bigger brother the 7120, but i expect that out of all my IT Hardware be they a Laser Printer or Server. I also though expect that parts will eventually, especially when they have been replaced, become harder to find and then eventually dry up. 2 years for a product life isn't bad really.

Also as you can see Phil from Oracle has said they are working with existing customers to look at this, I don't often see or hear of Dell or HP or other big names saying that. I still think its a bit of an over-reaction.

I could turn it and say stupid Intel and HP for not having an extra CPU that fits my 2 year old HP Proliant Server avaliable as a new part, that server is just under 2 years old and a quick look seems to show that the CPU in it has been discontinued (as I'd expect) and as a result I cannot make it dual CPU using HP new parts, so will have to look futher afield (if I actually wanted to that is!) but do you see my example, everyone and everything occurs like that its life I'm afraid.

Thank Post
    Can agree with you that 2 year on a 1.000 euro laser printer or a 10.000 euro server are not a bad investement , but 2 year on a 100.000 euro storage sure they are .

Thank Post
    I don't know the details of that Register story, but I'm assuming it's actually nothing to do with the 7410 itself and is actually the J4400 JBODs it uses. If I'm not mistaken (and I may be!) these have been around for quite a lot longer than the 7410 and are probably being dropped because Oracle are migrating from SAS to SAS-2. I believe the 7x20 units use a different JBOD than the J4400?

The 7410 user says he was told by the Oracle sales channel that the box cannot be upgraded with more storage after the end of the month as the new 7420 model is available.
    So, you'll still get all your software updates, bug fixes, hardware support and individual component replacements. You'll still be able to use your existing storage. But, if you think you'll need to double your storage capacity with another JBOD between now and your next storage upgrade, you need to plan for it now.

Yes, I expect my laser printer to last 5 years, but if it's gone EOL in that time, I don't expect to be able to pick up an additional paper tray for it, at least not through the official channels.

Thank Post
    With the migration from SAS to SAS-2.
    I understand the current upgrade path for our current 7410's is suggested as following?:

- Make a backup of ALL existing data and store somewhere else.
    - Replace HBA in the head's with SAS2 Capable ones.
    - Replace SSD's in the head's with SAS2 Capable ones
    - Connect new SAS2 Array to head
    - Copy all data back?

You do understand this raises a few eyebrows @ the next IT meeting?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronicles View Post
    With the migration from SAS to SAS-2.
    I understand the current upgrade path for our current 7410's is suggested as following?:

- Make a backup of ALL existing data and store somewhere else.
    - Replace HBA in the head's with SAS2 Capable ones.
    - Replace SSD's in the head's with SAS2 Capable ones
    - Connect new SAS2 Array to head
    - Copy all data back?

You do understand this raises a few eyebrows @ the next IT meeting?
    Chronicles,

drop me a message on here with your contact details - it's NOT that complicated

WR

Phil

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread