+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, RM One - Version 2 (2600?) Monitor Fault in Technical; Hi Gang, Weve got upwards of 200 RM One machines all the same model. Version 2, 2600? They're the all ...
    Thank Post

RM One - Version 2 (2600?) Monitor Fault

Hi Gang,

Weve got upwards of 200 RM One machines all the same model. Version 2, 2600?

They're the all in one model with a silver casing, around 4 years old.

There's around ten of these that have the same fault.... The monitor is clearly switched on as the backlight is on and the screen is grey/black.

Normally, I'd say this was a graphics fault, but testing with a spare monitor shows that the monitor itself is at fault.

The only problem is that RM no longer supply the parts for these machines, and a standard monitor doesn't fit to their All in One stand - probably on purpose Grrr.

I'm guessing that the fault lies with the circuit board that sits behind the monitor, as the monitor unit itself has no circuitry inside.

I just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem or knows of a fix?
    It seems to be quite a common fault here, with no known cure....

Thank Post
    Yes, had this happen and it was the analogue-digital converter board on the monitor panel that was the most common culprit. RM then changed the ones they used and came out and replaced 32 screens of ours as a result because we'd had 5 or 6 fail in a month.

Thank Post
    Thanks - speedy reply!

Our biggest problem is that they're now out of warranty and RM refuse to sell us the parts for an in house repair. They will only fix if we send the machines in to them at a cost of £75 + parts etc EACH pc!

Thank Post
    We had this and another issue at the same time where the lcd panel would switch on and then power off after a few seconds.

That's disappointing that they won't supply you with the parts, I suspect they stock a bunch of them for their own repairs (under ext. warranty) but don't make them generally available.

I'm not sure if/where you could even source replacements for them either

I'm sure someone else has tried retrofitting a screen into one of these, would be interesting to see if they got on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    I'm not sure if/where you could even source replacements for them either
    eBay - in particular, this chap:

eBay My World - top_topdeals

who, last time I spoke to him, had a warehouse full of around 500 second-hand RM Ones.

--
    David Hicks

6. Thanks to dhicks from:

adamchapman (20th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    eBay - in particular, this chap:

eBay My World - top_topdeals

who, last time I spoke to him, had a warehouse full of around 500 second-hand RM Ones.

--
    David Hicks
    Thanks! I'll have a look. might be able to get replacement machines at the right price, if we can't get spares. Might even be worth keeping ours as spares and replacing with these refurbed ones.

ajs

Thank Post
    I'm surprised you've only got 10 that are doing it. I would've expected more to have gone by now.

When I had them die on me outside of the warranty, I used to store them in various rooms (the DT Store room, the room you're now in etc etc) until some others went with a different fault (the plastic buttons on the monitor is also another common problem with those models or something will go wrong on the mobo and the machine will refuse to POST). At that point it would be time to a little cut-and-shut during the holidays.

I did mention to a few people that they should prepare for them to go sooner rather than later before I legged it away but I think most of the planned replacement budget then got spent on the newer RM Ones (which fortunately are a LOT better from what I've seen) and on Frog.

As other people have mentioned, I think Ebay may be your only option. Other than that, put out word around some of the local schools to see if they've got any that they may be replacing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    See if you get any joy speaking to MSI - RM do not manufacture the parts, the cases are MSI OEM kit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    the cases are MSI OEM kit.
    Those cases, if I'm correct, take standard Micro-ATX motherboards, so if a motherboard goes you can always replace it with a new one. Actually, that would be a pretty good solution for a new all-in-one PC - buy a second-hand machine from eBay and spend £300 or so on a new Core i3 motherboard, processor and 4GB of RAM and you have a decent, up-to-date, all-in-one solution for around £400.

--
    David Hicks

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Those cases, if I'm correct, take standard Micro-ATX motherboards, so if a motherboard goes you can always replace it with a new one. Actually, that would be a pretty good solution for a new all-in-one PC - buy a second-hand machine from eBay and spend £300 or so on a new Core i3 motherboard, processor and 4GB of RAM and you have a decent, up-to-date, all-in-one solution for around £400.
    A very good idea, except for the fact that the RM One cases (in my experience and according to most of the engineers that used to come out to service them) are an absolute nightmare to work on. :-)

Thank Post
    Also try cracking open the monitor and checking the connections inside. We have found the LCD ribbon secured with some masking tape before or tons of mastik glue. It has somehow worked itself loose and just needs to be slid back in.

Possibly just flipping the monitor back and forward can temporarily fix the problem. But don't do it in front of the kids or they copy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    A very good idea, except for the fact that the RM One cases (in my experience and according to most of the engineers that used to come out to service them) are an absolute nightmare to work on. :-)
    Yea -I agree there! They are awful for taking apart. I always end up with screws left over!!

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    Yea -I agree there! They are awful for taking apart. I always end up with screws left over!!
    First time I did it, I used the instructions from a CD a kind engineer had left me, which was fine except that not all the screws that the guide said to remove could be found. I had a box at one point containing random left over screws from RM Ones. Oddly enough, it was one thing I did throw away (unlike the rest of the office, which just accumulated rubbish)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The dissasembly of RM Ones is amusing. The reassembly is something between an artform and miracle working.
    Thankfully I've gotten it down to a tee, however still can't manage it without some sort of self mutilation

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread