+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 53 of 53
Hardware Thread, HP finally release the replacement to the ProLiant ML115 in Technical; I'm wondering if AMD just have a load of the Neo processors just lying around that they are practically giving ...
  1. #46
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,191
    Thank Post
    134
    Thanked 340 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    I'm wondering if AMD just have a load of the Neo processors just lying around that they are practically giving away to HP to make space for the newer E-350 (and similar) APUs.

    Especially considering the Neo line was supposed to fill the gap that AMD had in the ultraportable line (which it did very well with the HP dv2 in my opinion in using this laptop daily) but with an extra graphics boost which is now totally filled by the APUs.

  2. #47


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,750
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Rep Power
    779
    You may be right. A MicroServer with a 1.65GHz AMD E-450 would make much more sense. For the sake of an extra 3 watts, not only would it be a little bit faster but you also get a "free" Radeon HD 6320 too.

    I don't think AMDs APUs support ECC RAM which may explain why HP aren't using them in their MicroServer's?
    Last edited by Arthur; 31st August 2011 at 12:59 AM.

  3. #48

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,931
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    HP have finally released a faster MicroServer...

    HP ProLiant MicroServer series Small & Medium Business
    120% of very little, still isn't much. I don't think its an ML115 replacement until it has atleast 4 cores.

    Lame.

  4. #49
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,191
    Thank Post
    134
    Thanked 340 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    120% of very little, still isn't much. I don't think its an ML115 replacement until it has atleast 4 cores.

    Lame.
    I don't think HPs target was to ever replace the ML115 with the Micro Server - more to introduce a new end of sever designed for the small business who just want to store files (maybe not even run AD) and for the home users who want to run Windows Home Server.

    Its not like its even 'server' class hardware going in there like you might find in the current ML series.

    We’ve got one of the MicroServers here for our IT class and they love its simplicity in design and they are getting a lot of learning out of having their own dedicated kit. All the same though when we kitted out our last Primary School it was done using a ML110 Quad Core as this is a more serious production environment.

  5. #50

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    66
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    HP have finally released a faster MicroServer...

    HP ProLiant MicroServer series Small & Medium Business
    Interesting, been looking at one of these for home use for a while now. Any reason why they have dropped the PSU in the newer model? I also take it the integrated storage controller still doesn't do RAID 5/6?

  6. #51


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,750
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Rep Power
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_T View Post
    Any reason why they have dropped the PSU in the newer model?
    Probably to reduce costs, but also because a 200 watt PSU was overkill. Most peoples MicroServers have a power draw in the region of 40-60 watts with hard drives in all four bays. If you add a couple of PCI Express cards plus an optical drive (or a fifth HDD) you would most likely still be under 100 watts.

    The previous model also has a 150 watt PSU (HP just haven't bothered updating their webpage). As you can see below, only the original MicroServer had a 200 watt PSU...

    Code:
    P/N: 612275-421: N36L, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, 200 watt PSU. Original MicroServer released September 2010.
    P/N: 633724-421: N36L, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 150 watt PSU. Minor update to spec in January 2011. This model supersedes the previous model.
    P/N: 658553-421: N40L, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 150 watt PSU. The latest MicroServer released this month.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_T View Post
    I also take it the integrated storage controller still doesn't do RAID 5/6?
    Unfortunately not. Even if it did, I wouldn't use it because the onboard RAID controller isn't a proper RAID controller.

    To use RAID 5/6 you could either do it in the operating system itself (Windows Server / Linux / FreeBSD etc.) or via a PCIe RAID card.

  7. Thanks to Arthur from:

    Steve_T (1st September 2011)

  8. #52

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    66
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Probably to reduce costs, but also because a 200 watt PSU was overkill. Most peoples MicroServers have a power draw in the region of 40-60 watts with hard drives in all four bays. If you add a couple of PCI Express cards plus an optical drive (or a fifth HDD) you would most likely still be under 100 watts.

    The previous model also has a 150 watt PSU (HP just haven't bothered updating their webpage). As you can see below, only the original MicroServer had a 200 watt PSU...

    Code:
    P/N: 612275-421: N36L, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, 200 watt PSU. Original MicroServer released September 2010.
    P/N: 633724-421: N36L, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 150 watt PSU. Minor update to spec in January 2011. This model supersedes the previous model.
    P/N: 658553-421: N40L, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 150 watt PSU. The latest MicroServer released this month.


    Unfortunately not. Even if it did, I wouldn't use it because the onboard RAID controller isn't a proper RAID controller.

    To use RAID 5/6 you could either do it in the operating system itself (Windows Server / Linux / FreeBSD etc.) or via a PCIe RAID card.

    Thanks for your response.

  9. #53


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,750
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Rep Power
    779
    100 cashback offer has been extended yet again. This time it applies to the new N40L MicroServer (P/N: 658553-421).

    www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/658553-421

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Tandberg Drive SATA + HP Proliant ML115
    By contink in forum Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th May 2010, 12:42 PM
  2. ML115
    By Theblacksheep in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30th July 2009, 10:20 AM
  3. HP ProLiant ML115 G5 Server - Only 150 delivered!
    By WStore_Dan in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th March 2009, 09:48 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th November 2008, 09:14 AM
  5. HP ProLiant ML115 - 119.99!!!
    By Netman in forum Hardware
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11th July 2008, 09:38 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •