+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, HP finally release the replacement to the ProLiant ML115 in Technical; Anyone know if it comes with empty caddies for the drives? I know it ships with one drive, but it's ...

Thank Post
    Anyone know if it comes with empty caddies for the drives? I know it ships with one drive, but it's not totally clear if there are empty caddies in the other slots or if they are just, well, empty...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillibear View Post
    Anyone know if it comes with empty caddies for the drives? I know it ships with one drive, but it's not totally clear if there are empty caddies in the other slots or if they are just, well, empty...
    Unlikely - the usual HP model for drives is to have empty slots with blanking modules in them, and then you buy from their range of standard drives, which come in caddies.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Does it need caddys though? If its like the previous 115 it won't be a caddy based product it will just be a screw it in job like a normal Desktop PC (and they will have included all the screws built into the chassis under the hood)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Does it need caddys though? If its like the previous 115 it won't be a caddy based product it will just be a screw it in job like a normal Desktop PC (and they will have included all the screws built into the chassis under the hood)
    Q2 in the Q&A section seems to indicate that it uses a pluggable drive bay - HP ProLiant MicroServer series - Q&A

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Q2 in the Q&A section seems to indicate that it uses a pluggable drive bay - HP ProLiant MicroServer series - Q&A
    ah didn't see that, everything else I read on it and looked at including the spec sheet implied normal style Thus this may start off cheap but add a few HP HDDs it will be too costly basically! I liked the old ML115s as you could just buy the server and then cheap HDDs after

Thank Post
    Just to clarify, the HP MicroServer does come with the caddy's (basically trays like you'd find in a NAS box) - As seen in the datasheet - http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/q...13716_div.HTML - The official HP drives for these are the non-hotplug internal SATAs that also fit in the ML110/ML115.

This means you can use pretty much any 3rd party HDDs in there.

7. 3 Thanks to ServersPlus:

Chillibear (20th September 2010), dhicks (30th September 2010), john (20th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ServersPlus View Post
    Just to clarify, the HP MicroServer does come with the caddy's
    Sorry, I could have sworn there was a post where you'd put up some photos of the inside of one of these machines but I can't find it now. So one of these mini-servers will take four 2TB SATA drives and a DVD rewriter? Is there any way to fit a memory card reader on to the front panel too - maybe a slim laptop-style DVD drive and integrated card reader in a 5.25" slot? Can you fit a half-height, CUDA / Fermi-capable graphics card in that 16x PCI Express slot? With a 200W power supply, will the machine manage four drives and a graphics card? What is the on-board RAID like - does it work with Linux?

Edit: Sorry, forgot - would it also take a Firewire input card in that 1x PCI Express slot? Is there any way to get a Firewire input on to the front panle too?

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 30th September 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Thank Post
    I am undecided with which route to go with UAG, I am buying a T710 anyway but may scrimp on the spec more and get one of these.. .decisions... decisions...

PS. Love the review on the site.. I don't own one, have ever seen one in the flesh but its a 5 star product.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Sorry, I could have sworn there was a post where you'd put up some photos of the inside of one of these machines but I can't find it now.
    The video below gives a good overview of the MicroServer (both inside and out). It is supplied with four HDD carriers as standard.

Click here to see another video which compares the size of the MicroServer with a Proliant ML115 and Shuttle PC.

So one of these mini-servers will take four 2TB SATA drives and a DVD rewriter?
    Yes, although it looks like 2TB HDDs are the maximum since it doesn't support UEFI. A bit short-sighted in my opinion.

Is there any way to fit a memory card reader on to the front panel too - maybe a slim laptop-style DVD drive and integrated card reader in a 5.25" slot?
    You could if you modify this drive-bay adapter. It's probably easier and cheaper to use a separate optical drive and memory card reader though.

Can you fit a half-height, CUDA / Fermi-capable graphics card in that 16x PCI Express slot? With a 200W power supply, will the machine manage four drives and a graphics card?
    The maximum power draw for the PCIe x16 slot is 25w according to the specs page on the HP website, so unless you can find a very short single-slot graphics card which uses less than 25 watts you're out of luck. Another thing I noticed in the Maintenance and Service Guide (page 56) is that the PSU doesn't have any additional power connectors - there are only five Molex LP4 connectors (four for the HDDs and one for the SATA optical drive) and a single 24-pin ATX power cable to connect to the motherboard. There is an internal USB port, but this would only be suitable for a memory card reader or a USB flash drive for running ESXi from.

What is the on-board RAID like - does it work with Linux?
    The onboard RAID uses the RAID feature of the AMD RS785E/SB820M chipset. The are no Linux drivers for it on either the HP or AMD websites (only graphics & NIC drivers) so I am not sure.

Would it also take a Firewire input card in that 1x PCI Express slot? Is there any way to get a Firewire input on to the front panel too?
    Yes, although you won't be able to add a port to the front panel unless you use a drive bay adapter. A good PCIe x1 FireWire card to use would be the StarTech PEX1394B3LP because it doesn't use a bridge chip (i.e. native PCIe) and works perfectly with Unibrain's ubCore drivers. I have one of these in my home computer.

11. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (2nd October 2010)

Thank Post
    hmm, anyone seen power draw figures when loaded with drives?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    hmm, anyone seen power draw figures when loaded with drives?
    70 watts according to HP. You could probably reduce that figure by another 14 watts by using 2.5" HDDs (with a suitable 3.5" adapter). Not bad at all.

The HP MicroServer is powered by a single 200 Watt non-hot pluggable power supply. As would be expected in an entry level server there is no option to add a redundant power supply. The low power (15W) CPU definitely contributes to keeping the running cost of the MicroServer to a minimum, with HP quoting that a fully loaded configuration only consuming an impresssive 70W of power. (Source)

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (3rd October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The video below gives a good overview of the MicroServer (both inside and out). It is supplied with four HDD carriers as standard.
    Many thanks, that gives me a very good idea of what the insides of this machine look like.

You could if you modify this drive-bay adapter. It's probably easier and cheaper to use a separate optical drive and memory card reader though.
    Thanks. I'm trying to get an all-in-one case - an external card reader wouldn't really be suitible.

The maximum power draw for the PCIe x16 slot is 25w according to the specs page on the HP website, so unless you can find a very short single-slot graphics card which uses less than 25 watts you're out of luck.
    I'll have to investigate this a bit more - I'm trying to find a server sutible to do hardware-accelerated video file conversion, I might need something a bit larger to accomodate the kind of components needed.

The onboard RAID uses the RAID feature of the AMD RS785E/SB820M chipset. The are no Linux drivers for it on either the HP or AMD websites (only graphics & NIC drivers) so I am not sure.
    Hmm - I wonder what the performance of Linux software RAID would be like on this machine?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I'm trying to get an all-in-one case - an external card reader wouldn't really be suitible.
    I think you'll find that you won't be able to fit a standard 3 1/2 inch card reader and a slimline optical drive into a single 5 1/4 inch drive bay - it'd be one or the other, or you'd have to get a USB card reader and a slimline drive, and customise a drive cage to hold them - ugly but doable.

17. Thanks to localzuk from:

dhicks (3rd October 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm trying to get an all-in-one case - an external card reader wouldn't really be suitible.
    Would an external USB DVD writer be an option? e.g. Samsung SE-S084C/TSBS. You could Velcro it to the top of the case so it doesn't move.

I'm trying to find a server suitable to do hardware-accelerated video file conversion, I might need something a bit larger to accomodate the kind of components needed.
    It looks like you are going to have to get a server or case (if you build the computer yourself) which has two drive bays. The Silverstone SG01-F would be a good choice since it has 2 x 5.25" drive bays and can take full-height double-slot graphics cards up to 12 inches long.

Which application will you be using to do the GPU video conversion? Elemental's Badaboom isn't very good quality-wise (compared to x246) and it still needs a fast CPU (ideally a quad core) which would mean the CPU in the MicroServer would be too slow. The same applies to AMDs AVIVO encoder. Perhaps it might be worth waiting for Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors? These are supposed to encode video super fast.

The video encode engine is a brand new addition to Sandy Bridge. Intel is being light on the details of the encoder but we saw a demo where Intel took a ~3 minute 1080p 30Mbps source video and transcoded it to a 640x360 iPhone video format. The total process took 14 seconds and completed at a rate of roughly 400 frames per second. (Source)

19. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (6th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Here's another review of the MicroServer...

http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/technolo...s-home-server/

21. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (6th October 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast