+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, UPS purchase query in Technical; If you can wait we have AEG speaking about UPS and power requirements at the conf on June 2nd, and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you can wait we have AEG speaking about UPS and power requirements at the conf on June 2nd, and they will be available to answer any questions about UPS in general. Should be an interesting talk.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    I am particularily intestered in how we could shutdown servers automatically after a certain amout of charge is left following a power cut?
    For the server cupboard I bought the above devices for, I had a dedicated PC for power and temperature sensing. APC's PowerChute software is free and comes with the UPS. I installed that on the dedicated PC, plugged in one of the UPSes via USB and set the software up to shut the PC down if the UPS had been off mains power for a certain amount of time. I didn't worry about measuring the exact amount of charge left per UPS, I simply wanted the servers to have enough time to shut down if the mians went off, so I simply figured that if the mains had been off for, say, 3 minutes then it was time to start shutting things down. Another process on a server somewhere pinged the dedicated PC and, if it couldn't contact it, started to shut the oter servers down via SSH. Same for temperature - a cheap temperature sensor off eBay (£10) that shuts the PC down if it hits a given temperature, and I'm sure you could do the same with a couple of moisture sensors. I used a random spare PC, but you could buy a dedicated low-power motherboard for this function.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I have just spent a bit of time evaluating UPS's and decided to avoid APC this time, and have gone for Borri, which is a name not many have heard of, however they have been the most helpful and quickest to reply out of ANY firm mentioned in this thread. I have in my rack(ready for the electricians on Monday) a 10,000VA UPS with at least 30 minutes run time on the future load we planned for it, and its hard wired into the fuse box so no need for over-priced PDUs, and runs my lights in the server room as well (bonus being able to see!) and it cost less than APC wanted for the same kit.

Borri do make many sizes of UPS, this is a big beast at 9U's and well over 200KG of kit with all the batterys! but well worth talking to them. UPS | UPS Systems | Uninterruptible Power Supplies | Power Protection | Borri is the website and they sent out a guy called John Inmann who knew his stuff and he came out promptly and was incredibly helpful sorting it all out, ensuring the bills arrived in time for the year end etc... My electricians can only speak highly of the Borri advice as well in terms of checking the requirements for the feed for it and how the Bypass systems should be setup for optimal working etc so that is another good thing with them Well worth an email I would say.

4. Thanks to john from:

dhicks (14th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I have just spent a bit of time evaluating UPS's and decided to avoid APC this time, and have gone for Borri, which is a name not many have heard of, however they have been the most helpful and quickest to reply out of ANY firm mentioned in this thread. I have in my rack(ready for the electricians on Monday) a 10,000VA UPS with at least 30 minutes run time on the future load we planned for it, and its hard wired into the fuse box so no need for over-priced PDUs, and runs my lights in the server room as well (bonus being able to see!) and it cost less than APC wanted for the same kit.

Borri do make many sizes of UPS, this is a big beast at 9U's and well over 200KG of kit with all the batterys! but well worth talking to them. UPS | UPS Systems | Uninterruptible Power Supplies | Power Protection | Borri is the website and they sent out a guy called John Inmann who knew his stuff and he came out promptly and was incredibly helpful sorting it all out, ensuring the bills arrived in time for the year end etc... My electricians can only speak highly of the Borri advice as well in terms of checking the requirements for the feed for it and how the Bypass systems should be setup for optimal working etc so that is another good thing with them Well worth an email I would say.
    +1 - I've dealt with Borri before (in fact we had a very similar system to John ) and found them excellent

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12