+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Monitor DVI not working, VGA is fine in Technical; Acquired a monitor yesterday which has DVI and VGA inputs. Tried it at home with the DVI input and cable ...
    Thank Post

Monitor DVI not working, VGA is fine

Acquired a monitor yesterday which has DVI and VGA inputs. Tried it at home with the DVI input and cable and it worked fine.

Bring it into work to use on office machine (which up to this point used a VGA only monitor) and again plugged in the DVI input to the DVI port on computer - nothing. Tried another DVI cable - nothing. Use a VGA cable on this monitor - works fine.

Tried changing the source on the monitor itself to DVI - says disconnected, reverts back to VGA. Reboot computer - no different.

I know the DVI input on monitor works fine, I know the cable(s) works fine. Graphics is on-board the Intel motherboard with limited configurable options.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Incompatible refresh rate for the DVI output on the machine? Most like 60Hz, is it set higher?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your video card is probably in dual mode and has the second output disabled.

XP: Right Click (Desktop) -> Properties -> Settings

Thank Post
    Have if switched off the Computer before connecting the DVI cable?

I know that if you connect the DVI cable to the primary (or only output for dual output) after switching on no signal is displayed, but power cycle and it's connected.

Ah, just noted you've power cycled...maybe the onboard video can only cope with either VGA OR DVI, not both (ie not dual output)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Incompatible refresh rate for the DVI output on the machine? Most like 60Hz, is it set higher?
    Refresh rate is set to 60Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Your video card is probably in dual mode and has the second output disabled.

XP: Right Click (Desktop) -> Properties -> Settings
    Seems to suggest it's in single mode, and setting the 2nd output to primary makes no difference (reverts to 1st one again).

Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    Have if switched off the Computer before connecting the DVI cable?

I know that if you connect the DVI cable to the primary (or only output for dual output) after switching on no signal is displayed, but power cycle and it's connected.

Ah, just noted you've power cycled...maybe the onboard video can only cope with either VGA OR DVI, not both (ie not dual output)
    As said, did a warm and cold reboot with just DVI cable plugged in - just nothing. I have seen the same on Dell machines where you need to reboot to pickup a newly connected DVI output and this I thought would work, but it didn't. Then again, these Dell machines had only a DVI output and use DVI>VGA adapters, whereas my office comp has both VGA and DVI outputs.

Thank Post
    I had a Hanns-G monitor that did exactly the same. Nothing I tried made any difference. Gave up in the and just used it with VGA somewhere in school.

Thank Post
    That's insane. Surely, if you have a DVI monitor and a computer capable of outputting a DVI signal, you should be able to make use of both if you have a working DVI cable to join the two together! I wouldn't mind too much if it wasn't such a simple attempt to do something.. simple(!)

FTR, the monitor is a 19" Suyama branded one (not exactly well known) but it does work fine nonetheless.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread