+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Notebooks and troleys in Technical; My EDB school is looking at getting a trolly and some notebooks - my initial thoughts being it's not the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Notebooks and troleys

My EDB school is looking at getting a trolly and some notebooks - my initial thoughts being it's not the best way forward as the access to all rooms where they might be used is not level / easy. The other option they are considering is I-pads. Currently a Server 2008 system running XP pro workstations. Thoughts welcomed please.

Thank Post
    avoid ipads - lovely fad but not really functional in schools... PLUS have you held one for 30mins? wrist-ache is horrible... if you ahve the money to buy ipads consider decent semi rugged laptops and a decent trolley OR just consider the fact you will have to replace laptops every 2-3years if your lucky but with PCs you could get away with upto 5 years... (my opinion - after having laptops for 3 years - not going to recommened them to anyone!)

then you have the whole conectivity issues... WiFi still an issue... constant unplugging of cat5 issues... scary!

3. Thanks to hotwired007 from:

speckytecky (26th August 2010)

Thank Post
    The best known - and most robustly built - trolleys are LapSafe. Although they do come at a high price. In your environment I would recomend that you look at the Monarch LapCabby range. They do not have all of the options that LapSafe have and they are not as robust as LapSafe, but they certainly do the job and are more affordable. What they do have going for them is that they have rubber corner bumpers and handles as well as rounded edges which would be safer for EDB students. I am sure that your usual local supplier can get these for you, or you can contact the manufacturer direct on 0115 982 1771 and ask them who your local reseller is. (It's not going to be us - we're miles away!)

5. Thanks to SiliconAlley from:

speckytecky (27th August 2010)

Thank Post
    I don't know what your requirement is but laptop cabinets rather than trolleys means that you can put a small group of laptops in each room. If your teachers don't move around then they can be responsible for making sure that the laptops are looked after and recharged (they are accountable for them!)

7. Thanks to Osprey from:

speckytecky (31st August 2010)

Thank Post
    I agree with Siliconalley about the Monarch range. They're priced well for what you get. If you're going for Mac notebooks you ought to look at one of the three dedicated Bretford ones, as the power supplies are annoyingly different on a Mac Wifi connectivity is usually OK for saving docs to network home folders, browsing Wikipedia and so on, but as web sites get richer and schools are starting to create rich media content in the classroom wifi is starting to look problematic. There are some good high speed managed wifi solutions now, but not cheap. Ethernet is loads better for rich content and large files, but changes the way you have to work with laptops of course. In summary, if you need a small number of computers to be used in multiple locations for fairly low-power uses, a trolley full of laptops might work for you. Bear in mind that they can be fragile, and that a trolley larger than 20 units is very big and very heavy. If you want to be creating video and music you're probably going to need ethernet wired machines, whether laptops in a trolley or fixed desktop machines. If it would actually be better to have lots of fixed computers in different rooms but cost is a problem, maybe look at "thin client" solutions where the terminal is really cheap because all the work is done on a server instead. Depends totally on what you need them to do. More info please.

9. Thanks to Robbocop from:

rad
    Thank Post
    We have a few trolleys, and I'd say spend a little more money and kit out a room with computers.

We spent (actually ***** Department spent) money on 26 laptops, they dont like them as they take too long to boot, kids get anoyed and the lesson is wasted. They more often than not book ICT rooms instead.

Your choice but we are not getting anymore, the computers get more use than the laptops do as they are on and ready, no issues with keyboards, logging on etc.

11. Thanks to rad from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Rad and all other responders.

The flavour of the replies is much as my gut feeling was already - stick to proper computers if at all possible - just have to convince the SLT now as at least one senior member seems extremely keen on letting the EDB's have hand helds - to break!!

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    We have a few trolleys, and I'd say spend a little more money and kit out a room with computers.

We spent (actually ***** Department spent) money on 26 laptops, they dont like them as they take too long to boot, kids get anoyed and the lesson is wasted. They more often than not book ICT rooms instead.

Your choice but we are not getting anymore, the computers get more use than the laptops do as they are on and ready, no issues with keyboards, logging on etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread