+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Index DT1 VoIP Phones in Technical; Anyone use Index DT1 phones? We've got them here & I'm trying to figure out if they are just crap ...

Thank Post

Index DT1 VoIP Phones

Anyone use Index DT1 phones? We've got them here & I'm trying to figure out if they are just crap phones, or if our phone system's buggered. We seem to have very few problems for quite a while, and then several break at once (in this case, five at the same time!).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Index DT1 VoIP Phones

what kind of problems not got dt1 phones but give run down might be able to help..

russ

Thank Post

Basically, they will randomly change volume (both ringer & in-call). The curly cords last about a week (I think that's par for the course though), and we get phantom calls quite regularly where two phones both make a single ring at the same time & then stop. We know it's not the kids cause the timing is too precise.

Regarding the network, it's a 10Mb system running on Cat5e, Cisco switches (can't remember which model) which I'm assume are using QoS and an Index phone exchange which is managed remotely by a company in Livingston.

Let me know if you need any more info...

Thank Post

Sorry to digress but...

Is it the norm to have a seperate lan setup for a phone system i.e. instead of using an existing frame work - the admin network for example lol, or does everyone have it piggybacking on the existing network?

[I've been told it would cause no slowdown and take up hardly any bandwidth but i find it hard to believe and we, currently, dont have any managed switches either]

Regards
    Nath

Thank Post

@Tarq,

Ours is piggybacked onto our network, but there doesn't seem to be any detectable slowdowns. I'm not sure how the situation would be using unmanaged switches though. I think without QoS ability it could prove unworkable.

Thank Post

While I understand that in princible, it was as I thought.

Ppl never listen to me here:

- no you cant stick a telephone system on to the existing network
    - yes, it'll work as is
    - no it wont as I'm pretty sure it'll need managed switches which we dont have, and it 'may' eat our bandwidth which we havent got any spare of [see my ramblings in another post somewhere in the forum - fibre > 100M converters, etc..]
    - we have enough internet for that
    - ????

i'll stop there - they love to argue knowing not what they go on about lol

Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The architects department here in Powys [they are in charge of all IT installations across the county now [[though it took me 5 telephone calls to get through to one of them that a double RJ45 socket in the ceiling was not was was required when the customer asked for a data point for a ceiling mounted projector - none of them had heard of projectors with wireless access points built in either! lol!]]] installed a box in our music rooms that is connected to our internal [bog standard - whatever they are] telephone system. You just patch it into one of the many [72 points in 2 rooms - all over the ceilings of course] points and attatch a phone via a special adaptor. Not quite VOIP but nifty!

[I'm not helping am I! ]

Thank Post

er.... no lol

I didnt know a projector required a lan port to work lol I thought they used normal power sockets lmao

N.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

we have seperate system completly for phones is a voice over ip system but you couldnt tell if where not tols uses standard phone socket type but these new sockets where installed by company bypassing the old cable and wireless with nice nify siemens box sitting on it.

as for your voip rob not sure about phones but the rining through sounds like a fault at central box often or not things like that can be caused by answer phone service not working right, get this company to have look at the central box.

who is company...

russ

p.s

this is on my limited knowledge of phone systems but like lot of us been asked to fix them over the years.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    er.... no lol

I didnt know a projector required a lan port to work lol I thought they used normal power sockets lmao

N.
    Wonder if you could pull enough current off of PoE... lol

Over herre, telewest run good old copper via DPs and a big 50 pair running 600m from the box down the road, so no VOIP for me.

Interestingly they charge a stupid amount of money to move a telephone (about 100 quid i think) even if the old cable is already there

Thank Post

We have an Avaya IP Office which uses similar phones to the IndeX system (I think). Don't seem to get those problems - maybe you are getting cross-talk (mice?).

Our phone system is sort of on it's own LAN and it's managed by some company called Sterry. I imagine it is possible to plug it into the LAN and get MUCH MUCH MUCH more functionality.

Thank Post

Index DT1 phones are not VoIP, they are digital handsets specific to the Index phone switch (the do also work on the IP office)

Tney are the most basic model, and as suich have a finite life. I imagine most of yours are quite old, and repalcements are probably reconditioned as opposed to new.

Some of the problems sound like wiring problems, but some just sound like old handsets. Anything over 5 years old has probably had it, recon stuff last about 2 years.

In response to what is required for a VoIP network - basically managed switches that suport the latest QoS and VLANs.

You get the benefits if you run both voice and data on the same LAN (no one recomedns separate networks - might as well save money and buy a traditional TDM system instead)

The voice traffic will not affect your data, (very small) but you do need to stop the data affectingthe time crtitical voice packets, hence QoS and VLANs.

I can tell you lots more about VoIP and phones in general - just put in a 100 user Avaya Call manager (Definity) VoIP system and used to run a 1000 user Mitel SX2000 (digital) system - Just ask!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread