+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Best Hard Drive Manufacturer in Technical; Well I only used to recomend WD as I had no end of trouble with Maxtor, Hitachi and IBM. Seagates ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Re: Best Hard Drive Manufacturer

Well I only used to recomend WD as I had no end of trouble with Maxtor, Hitachi and IBM. Seagates were OK but they only used to have a 1 year warranty, but now they have a 5 I tend to go for them over the WDs.

I do like the WD Raid Editions and Raptors, they have 5 years on them, and the Raptors make excellent value SCSI solutions really for small servers.

Thank Post

Seagate

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

I've never had a sea gate but out of all the ones I have had so far WD have been the best IMO, I have a raptor 74 gig and its just worked ever since I stuck it in.

Best 150 quid ive spent

Thank Post

Best hard drive manufacturer? Well, it would be Maxtor for me because i've never had a Maxtor drive totally die on me yet.

Well, not strictly true there was one drive which played up so an overnight stay in the fridge was necessary then after it thawed out it starting working again. Someone told me to try it and it did!

Although lets not forget that HDDs are now getting cheaper because their manufacturing processes are bodged and plauged with 'cheaper' components so it's no wonder they are prone to screwing up more often.

I guess it's a case of they don't build them like they used to!

As for Raptors, i'm sure they have a better manufacturing process but I wouldnt rule them out from suffering the same fate as drives from other manufacturers eventually.

In my experience I have seen fit to relabel some of the worst (in my opinon) hard disc drive lines:

Western Digital = Western Dodgy-tall

(They walk tall but in a dodgy 'if drive is full up then fail' fashion)

IBM/Hitachi DeskStar = IBM DeathStar

(The DeathStar plans were not in the main computer! They were on one of these feckers! No wonder the Empire lost to the Rebels!)

Seagate = SuckGreat

Had one as a boot drive for windows 98 once and it squeeled like a kitten was trapped in the chasis fan before it went 'ping and erected its digital index digit in a way of saying your data all gone bye byes now - Have a nice day!'

Sods Law dicates: The bigger capacity the drive = The more prone it will to screw up once it's over 90% full!

It doesnt get your data back but its refreshing to hit the fallen HDD once for every 1GB of data lost! (NB This is not recommended on drives >160GB as you may need admitting to casualty because your arm fell off)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetDiag
    Best hard drive manufacturer? Well, it would be Maxtor for me because i've never had a Maxtor drive totally die on me yet.
    Thats strange, we have a lot of Maxtors fail on this site they don't seem to last as long as Western Digital. Maybe its just total pot luck!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No, I've found Maxtors to be absolutely atrocious. I would say we have about a 50% failure rate with them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maxtors are godawful things. Very large failure rates are not uncommon. Mind you, I was also a victim of the massive disaster that Fujitsu Seimens dumped upon us and I also lost 3 years work when my IBM drive packed up 5 years ago.

Thank Post

I was lucky, I'd guessed my drive was about to fail, so I'd backed everything up.
    Thank goodness for Ghost!

Thank Post

I dont think there are a lot between the hard drive manufactures these days.

I have tried all sorts over the years and have had good and bad batches. If they survive more than a week then they appear to live a reasonable time.

Then there appears to be wall about 14 months just after some of then run out of warrenty lols especially with laptop hard drives.

The best advice I can give is guess and try to use some form of raid for essential data whatever you buy will always fail at the most inconvenient time.

I am going to replace a hard drive not in laptop thats been through 2 in the last 12 months.

Richard
    Carr Hill High

Thank Post

do not buy IBM / hitachi drives. only had bad experience with these.

I tend to like maxtor drives, never had a problem with them at home, but maxtors at schools are a problem, we stick with WD or seagate drives. I think it has something to do with power voltages and maxtors dont mix well. So I have heard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We've had a whole batch of bad maxtors in the past, and a hell of a lot fail a couple of years ago - about 20 of 60

Really liking WD and rate Seagate highly

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Maxtors are godawful things. Very large failure rates are not uncommon. Mind you, I was also a victim of the massive disaster that Fujitsu Seimens dumped upon us and I also lost 3 years work when my IBM drive packed up 5 years ago.
    God DB, I never knew I could post as you Thats my exact same experience!

I got a load of Stone Computers with those duff Fujitsu Hard Drives in them, so they needed to be changed GRRRR, Maxtors for me have about a 90% failure rate! Yes thats 90%. I lost a lot of coursework and files when my 1 day old Hitachi/IBM Hard Drive Died (yes it was from the Deathstar era!) so all in all you have had the same luck as me.

As I said earlier up the thread, Western Digital for me 0% failure rate at work, and out of about 60 i've personally fitted i've had 1 fail and that was probably not helped by me dropping the PC down the stairs in the first place when I fell down them. Also Segates with the 5 year warranty as standard is good, it will either bit Segate in the Ass in 3 years time when they all start dying or it will be a very good move by them to increase sales.

Thank Post

Maxtor drives are now from the seagate factories ...

Thank Post

I increasingly find myself looking for Samsung drives whenever we need additional ones.

They are reasonably cheap compared to others and run very quietly if my system is anything to go by (I run mine with the main case wide open). Got six in one of our servers and has been running without a problem.

Only drive manufacturer we have that hasn't had a failure yet.

Thank Post

I wish you the best of luck withthe Samsung drives in your server - you're going to need it!!

No Samsung drives are certified for server use - or guaranteed to work properly hanging off a RAID controller.

Personally, I like Samsung kit - but no way would their drives go near our servers.

I'd be interested to know how many of the problems listed in this topic are caused by desktop drives being installed in a server - it's false economy.

WD for Enterprise SATA (server drives, not desktop drives), Fujitsu for SCSI & SAS. We had some problems with WD, but their tech. support was spot on and a firmware fix had the problem solved.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast