+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Help - My Array has died in Technical; Morning, going on Holiday on Friday and need to get this sorted I replaced the drives in my old server ...

Thank Post

Help - My Array has died

Morning, going on Holiday on Friday and need to get this sorted

I replaced the drives in my old server with larger 750Gb ones... added them as hot spares and they all worked.. then I thought I would try the little utility to expand the logical drives and its broken the server.

When I boot into it now its saying rebuilding and no OS found.. its been like it for 2 days so I reckon the rebuilding is duff.

Also the Adaptec utility crashes out when I go into it

I still have the old disks, how do I go about putting these back in and starting again

Thank Post
    Okay, I'm a little confused and may not be able to help, but can you clarify -

Did you replace all the drives in a server (knowingly losing all data on that server) with the newer ones, then use the RAID BIOS utilities to expand the array?

Or do you mean you added some larger drives to a server using free HDD slots, then told the array controller to use these drives as hot spares for the existing array, then tried to expand the volume on this array onto the hot spares? I can't see how you could expand a volume onto disks that were hot spares, the controller wouldn't allow that.

Alternatively, if you mean that you replaced drives in the array one by one, allowing it to rebuild each time, until you had a full array using the larger disks with the original volume on... then this is a hit-and-miss way of expanding a volume. I believe the recommended way is to backup your data, destroy the old array and replace all the drives, then make a new array with the new drives using a volume that takes advantage of the extra space, then restore your data.

You could replace all the old disks if you know what slot they came from, but it depends on the controller. Some controllers store RAID data on the disks themselves (urgh) and as each of those old disks have at some point been in an array with the new disks, they may not like suddenly being all thrown back together. If all the data is stored on the controller, then you may be able to put the disks back in the right slots and tell the controller to 'recover' the array. It may be smart enough to figure out how things were set up and rebuild the array to a stable point.

Any help, or am I just making matters more confused?

Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 5th August 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried booting from a linux live CD or BartPE or something similar and seeing if you can view the array and it's contents. If you are ever so lucky (unlikely I think, sorry) then you may have just broken the Windows bootloader, a repair install of Windows might just fix it. But don't try unless you have a) seen the array still contains all your data and b) have then backed it up in it's current state incase anything else goes horribly wrong.

Thank Post
    +1 on that

If you messed around with the partitions in Windows at any point, try booting into the GParted Live CD as it'll let you view and modify the partitions if necessary.

Thank Post
    After several hours of hair pulling (trying to find a floppy that worked for raid and realising 2008 doesn't work) I managed to get a parallel install going on a IDE drive and installed the Adaptec Strorage software to see what the raid was doing. Every time I started it the utility crashed and Adaptec (who were very good and quick replying to emails) we decided the controller was so old and out of date that the conversing got corrupted and I should reinstall from a backup so I am starting from afresh.

I was hoping that the old drives that I replaced would slot back in but I didn't mark down the order and it does seem to store the raid data on the disks.. as soon as they started rebuilding it was corrupted.

@Duke.. I did the replacing one disk as a time.. worked a treat until I stupidly saw this dropdown in the Adaptec utility saying (expand logical drive) and thought I would try it.. I was intending just to create another Raid 5 volume across the disks... wish i had done now

Thank Post
    Ouch, sounds like one of those cases where it seems fine in theory, but in practice... not so much.

Adaptec are generally very good, used many of their RAID cards with no issues but it sounds like you're stuck with old technology on that one. Good luck with the restore and I hope it all goes well (notice how these things always happen just before you're due to go on holiday?).

Chris

Thank Post
    we recently moved our san, and I took the disks out just to reduce the weight. + in case it got knocked etc. supposedly the Smart array controllers and the MSA controller can take the disks in any order. there was no way I was taking that risk though and marked the order of each one,

we still had a problem when we powered it back up, one of the disks "failed". obviously I have 3 hot spares in this SAN for the number of disks in it. and it just rebuilt on it. came in the next morning and pulled the "failed" disk out to write down the serial / model / part no. and when I put it back. ohh disk 13 / box 2 online --> rebuilding array.

moral of the story. expect the worse when playing with disk arrays and always always always make 5 backups

8. Thanks to oxide54 from:

Duke (6th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    expect the worse when playing with disk arrays and always always always make 5 backups
    Yep!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread