+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Is there a place for i5/i7 in schools? in Technical; Originally Posted by jamesfed I was just wondering if anyone on here has been able to justify buying PCs in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone on here has been able to justify buying PCs in their schools the Intel i5/i7 or AMD Phenom II processors?
    Overall there isn't a huge difference between some of the Core 2 Duo's and Core i5's so I would have thought it would be quite easy to justify going for computers which use the latest processors? e.g.

Core 2 Duo E8600 (3.33GHz) vs Core i5-650 (3.2GHz)
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/54?vs=144

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why not? I3 is the Core Celeron, hence the lowest most sane folks would look for in a new system is a Core i5. i7 would be a bit much for everyday use but in media suites and the likes they'd be rather handy indeed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skell View Post
    Strangely, our new Head of Art just requested the following PC:

Athlon (Quad Core) 955 Phenom II
    Performance Power Supply
    Case with good Cooling - tower case
    Graphics, ATI top-end HD series 1 gig card
    Sata II hard drive fast spin speed or SCII hard drive
    26" Iiyama top-end monitor
    Interesting spec. I'd atleast hope it's accompanied with a request for a copy of Lightwave 3D and not a copy of Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't about buying stuff to match what we do now, its about buying stuff that'll still be working efficiently in 3 - 5 years time. Can you safely say that non-i5/Phenom II processors will handle everything that's asked of them in 4 years time?
    This is what I do too. We still have some Athlon XP-based computers in our school and they are so sloooooow!!! Thankfully we will be replacing them this month.

Once SSDs become mainstream, it will be very interesting to see how long schools keep computers for. Would 7-8 years be feasible since I often find the HDD is the slowest component in old PCs?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe it is better going for more machines that enable you to have a 3-4yr refresh cycle than getting more powerful machines and a 5-6yr.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    There is also the power consumption to consider, the i5/7 consume far less power and run cooler than the older processors.
    One thing I don't like about Intel's new processors is their naming scheme. Just finding out the number of cores and threads each processor has, along with whether they have support for Turbo Boost, SSE4, VT-x, VT-d, EPT, AES-NI or TXT is an absolute nightmare.

Thankfully I came across the following spreadsheet today which makes it much less confusing. I wish AMD and Intel had something like this on their websites.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...hl=en_GB#gid=0
    Last edited by Arthur; 2nd August 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Why not? I3 is the Core Celeron
    Not quite sure how you come to this conclusion. The i3 sits comfortably in the middle of the latest Clarkdale core lineup, with respective Pentium and Celeron branded CPUs behind it; see here.

We still run enough P4 3Ghz computers to make it worthwhile upgrading to Core 2, nevermind anything higher than that! I don't think we'll be going over to the Clarkdale family of processors any time soon, especially when the high end core 2 (E7000/E8000 series) processors are more than adaquate, even for the next few years (Arthur posted those benchmark figures above which proves the point that the difference between a high end core 2 and a core i5 is negligable).

Thank Post
    Our upgrade cycle means that PCs are not replaced, simply moved down the cahin, starting at the IT suites. It means that decent machines trickle down to all parts of the school, but it also means I'm still getting usage out of 9 year old PCs (Pentium III and Athlon Thunderbirds!) They still run XP fine when they have enough RAM, and are perfect for some older SEN programs. I don't find them slow, even with Sophos on - we run a fairly stripped out install.

Thank Post
    Last year we bought E8400s for our IT suites and a few other rooms as I wanted them to last the 4-5 year replacement cycle easily and be quick even if their main duties are Office, Sage and Internet... having said that we have loads of Flip Cameras now that will need to encode to DVD at some point so the CPU should come in handy

For the new rooms I've put in this year they're rather low use and in this case we wanted lower energy consumption so went for E7500s in a USFF case (got a very cheap price on Lenovo M58s and it was saving around 100 odd a unit compared to putting more power in) but they're DDR3 and feel quick as at the moment.

All depends what you're running on them... for any rooms with higher requirements up the spec, once i5 settles down and fully replaces the E8xxx range they'll be standard kit but I'd say that sweet spot is about 6 months away yet...

i7... for the power users and heavy imaging \ video or greedy IT support staff

Thank Post
    Strangely, our new Head of Art just requested the following PC:

Athlon (Quad Core) 955 Phenom II
    Performance Power Supply
    Case with good Cooling - tower case
    Graphics, ATI top-end HD series 1 gig card
    Sata II hard drive fast spin speed or SCII hard drive
    26" Iiyama top-end monitor
    Give him a 10" netbook for the cheek... or do exactly what he says and accidently forget the RAM which he forgot to ask...

incidently i have:

Core2Duo 6600 (2.4Ghz) - hopefully soon to be Core2Quad 6700
    8GB DDR2 800 RAM
    320GB 7200RPM
    NVIDIA GTS 250 512 DDR3
    NVIDIA GT 220 512 DDR2
    650w PSU
    3x Benq G2222HDL 21.5" LED 1980x1080 Monitors

I'm the network manager and i run EVERYTHING i do from this PC... I'm really struggling with anyone justifying this as a teacher even a HoD... plus on the plus side the PC itself is mine so the school didnt pay for it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwired007 View Post
    Give him a 10" netbook for the cheek... or do exactly what he says and accidently forget the RAM which he forgot to ask...

incidently i have:

Core2Duo 6600 (2.4Ghz) - hopefully soon to be Core2Quad 6700
    8GB DDR2 800 RAM
    320GB 7200RPM
    NVIDIA GTS 250 512 DDR3
    NVIDIA GT 220 512 DDR2
    650w PSU
    3x Benq G2222HDL 21.5" LED 1980x1080 Monitors

I'm the network manager and i run EVERYTHING i do from this PC... I'm really struggling with anyone justifying this as a teacher even a HoD... plus on the plus side the PC itself is mine so the school didnt pay for it...
    Would love to give him a netbook! He wouldn't know what he was doing with it if he got what he wanted, and he actually wants three of them! If he gets what he wants I might accidentally order two more, one for me and one for my boss and bill the art department for them. I'm sure he wouldn't mind!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would love to give him a netbook! He wouldn't know what he was doing with it if he got what he wanted, and he actually wants three of them! If he gets what he wants I might accidentally order two more, one for me and one for my boss and bill the art department for them. I'm sure he wouldn't mind!
    Has he ever justified it yet or can HoD's in your school do what they want with money?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Has he ever justified it yet or can HoD's in your school do what they want with money?
    In my school, i kicked up a fuss as i'm expected to support whatever hardware/software is purchased... so now anything ICT related 'SHOULD' come through me although sometimes it still slips through...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    No he hasn't justified it yet, and they aren't supposed to be able to do what they want with money, especially when it comes to buying IT equipment.

Sigh.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwired007 View Post
    In my school, i kicked up a fuss as i'm expected to support whatever hardware/software is purchased... so now anything ICT related 'SHOULD' come through me although sometimes it still slips through...
    This.

We're only consulted if they need a new PC or printer. Some software is bought without consulting us and they moan when we say we can only install it on one PC when they wanted it on 10. I'd love to be consulted or at least informed when something like structural work is taking place. Maybe we want to lay a cable or something, or want to tell you how it will disrupt the (already poor) Wi-Fi signal if you put up that there!
    Last edited by skell; 5th August 2010 at 12:07 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast