+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Lenovo Desktops - Motherboard Issues in Technical; I thought I would share my experiences regarding this Manufacturers hardware. In the last 2 years out of 60 machines ...

Thank Post

Lenovo Desktops - Motherboard Issues

I thought I would share my experiences regarding this Manufacturers hardware.

In the last 2 years out of 60 machines we have seen almost 50% failure rate of the motherboards due to blown capacitors on the Motherboards.

With 15 more units about to come out of warranty in the next 30 days 3 more failed this week.

Despite the well publicised DELL Optiplex issue and Class Action Lawsuit many other manufacturers including Apple have admitted being affected by this problem.

Lenovo continue to deny knowledge of any "Known Issues" or "Global Problem" and refuse to accept responsibility for any failures that may occur outside of it's obligated warranty period.

So Im having to audit and visit every Lenovo Desktop we have to carry out a visual inspection of the MoBo and log each one with the IBM Warranty Service as an "Intermittent Motherboard Issue" so that they will come out and replace them before the warranty expires!

If you are unfortunate enough to own any A or M Series desktops I would strongly advise that you check your warranty expiry dates and take the appropriate action before it costs you a fortune.

Thank Post
    I have hundreds of A and M series lenovo's bought over the last 5-6 years, so far only 1 motherboard failure. I have to say that I have been very pleased with the reliability of the computers and dealing with lenovo with any issues we might have had. I don't know how many Lenovo's you have had failed but your post does not reflect my experience with the A and M series.

Thank Post
    We brought 9 Lenovo laptops 2 years ago and now only have 2-3 left! All have failed due too a cold boot problem, this is now known as the "Lenovo Problem" in our office. The customer service is useless. Never buying anything from then again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TronXP View Post
    I have hundreds of A and M series lenovo's bought over the last 5-6 years, so far only 1 motherboard failure. I have to say that I have been very pleased with the reliability of the computers and dealing with lenovo with any issues we might have had. I don't know how many Lenovo's you have had failed but your post does not reflect my experience with the A and M series.
    In the past it was the 9702-7PG series but our current speight of failures seem to be the 9265-7RG Models all suffer from rebooting issues as the OS tries to initialise the Video.
    All of the Caps around the AGP/PCI slots form domed tops and whilst running the caps get so hot they will blister the skin on your finger tips!

This of course in turn trips other circuits and eventually they die completely.
    Others may exhibit wavy lines on the screen whilst in use which is obviously an AC ripple getting into the video circuits this is normally the first sign of pending failure.

The most annoying part of it is that if you are unaware of the motherboard issue you can (and I have) spend hours looking at an OS problem as the system will appear to run fine in DOS screens or Safe Mode!
    Only when you start to crank up the video do they start to reboot and fail!

You may have been lucky and chosen a model that does not have the same problem, are all of yours the same model?

All credit to IBM though, the whole logging and actual repair process is first class I would just rather not have to keep calling them!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread