+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Chairs in ICT Rooms in Technical; I know there not technically hardware but wasnt too sure where to post this. We are having two rooms kittted ...
    coquet636

Chairs in ICT Rooms

I know there not technically hardware but wasnt too sure where to post this.

We are having two rooms kittted out in ther summer and was asked what the current state of play is with using normal classroom chairs instead of computer chairs.

Looking all over this i can see theres quite a bit of discussion normally ending up with the head saying " normal chairs are cheaper so get on with it".

BUT

I assume they have to have adjustable chairs even though they only have 50 min lessons.

am i correct or could we get away with normal chairs. Also is there any legislation to backup the argument.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    we've gone and bought solid plastic chairs - the indistructable ones from espo - they last ages and are fairly cheap...

3. Thanks to hotwired007 from:

Thank Post
    I ordered some of these ... NP Swivel Chairs | Classroom Chairs ... for a school I worked in and we have similar at the school I'm at now. Although they don't have the full adjustable backs, they have the height adjustment which is probably a requirement under HSE, that or individual adjustable height desks .. I know which is cheaper there! lol ..

EDIT: I'd recommend to get the castor option as moving the chairs about without is a pain, especially when sitting down yourself. The sliders just dig in and it's hard to get the chair to a desirable distance from the desk ..
    Last edited by soveryapt; 8th July 2010 at 12:20 PM.

5. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    We are having two rooms kittted out in ther summer and was asked what the current state of play is with using normal classroom chairs instead of computer chairs.
    By "computer chairs" I assume you mean a swivel chairs on castors. We have swivel chairs in our ICT room, over the past couple of years they've simply fallen apart, mainly to be replaced by plastic school bucket-style seats. Last time I checked, workplace health and safety regulations didn't apply to school pupils - you are free to sit them on whatever you like. I'd be inclined to try decent stools, as generally used in science labs - cheaper than swivel chairs and should be about the right height.

--
    David Hicks

7. Thanks to dhicks from:

coquet636
    Thanks for the replies, as aptproductions says there is probably legislation for adjustable and this is what i need to convince the head to get them.

Thank Post
    For the past 5 years we have been using medium back operator chairs with castors manufacturered by Tract.

They work out approx £55 each with a high performance Xtreme Plus fabric (designed for call centres) and a 5 year warranty. For us, they have proved to be more than adequate for the job and are very good value for money. We've just had our first ever Tract chair repaired today and it has been in use for just under 5 years!

Previously we used to purchase cheap (£25-30) chairs and we were lucky if they lasted a year!

The recommended retail price of the Tract chairs (with the Xtreme Plus fabric) is £160 but we use Jenkinsons Office Supplies - the first choice for all your office needs - Home

Hope this helps
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 8th July 2010 at 01:02 PM.

Thank Post
    DSE regulations don't apply to school children, but you could argue you still have a moral obligation to give them something decent.

The chairs we use are on 5-point bases, the backs are height-adjustable (but no-one bothers), the seats are technically height-adjustable but we have them screwed up so tight you can't release them without tools (and even then it can be a struggle!).

We had a brief spell with chairs on wheels, and they just weren't up to the rigours of general use and died within the year; if your students would be inclined to hold chariot races, they'll last even less time! You can get some where the wheels lock when someone is sat on them, but you would have to pay for those.
    Last edited by enjay; 9th July 2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Clarity

11. Thanks to enjay from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    We used to have adjustable chairs but they just broke so now we have tall plastic chairs with backs. They've worked out really well.

13. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post

15. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I ordered some of these ... NP Swivel Chairs | Classroom Chairs ... for a school I worked in and we have similar at the school I'm at now. Although they don't have the full adjustable backs, they have the height adjustment which is probably a requirement under HSE, that or individual adjustable height desks .. I know which is cheaper there! lol ..

EDIT: I'd recommend to get the castor option as moving the chairs about without is a pain, especially when sitting down yourself. The sliders just dig in and it's hard to get the chair to a desirable distance from the desk ..
    We dont use the same model, but the ones we have are basically the same. No problems what so ever with them.

Thank Post
    HSE regulations don't apply to school children
    Yes it does, although there is no mention anywhere in HSE regulations about schools and young people the regulations are generic covering all people young or old in any establishment. I have had this argument many times with my senior managers, they claiming that pupils don't spend more than 1 hour in front of a computer in any one period, my argument being they could be spending 5 hours and sometimes more each day at a computer. However they still buy non adjustable chairs, they are cheaper and last longer. I gave up eventually.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, as aptproductions says there is probably legislation for adjustable and this is what i need to convince the head to get them.
    Not sure how valid this now is, given the current political climate?
    Becta Schools - Leadership and management - Health and safety - How to work safely with ICT

There is one specific bullet point :

"Seating should be height-adjustable so that monitors and keyboards are correctly positioned and pupils do not have to look up or down at the monitor for prolonged periods."

Thank Post
    We have some of the adjustible bucket chairs in some suites which seem more resistant.

In some other suites we managed to get normal computer chairs either free or cheap from an office clearout.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    HSE regulations don't apply to school children
    Health and Safety doesn't apply to school children? Are you sure? DSE regulations don't, but surely health and safety does?

Thank Post
    Health and Safety doesn't apply to school children
    If it does not apply to children why when one of our pupils got the tip of their finger chopped of in technology was there a full investigation by HSE, and it happened recently. HSE covers all people in puplic institutions and work places.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast