+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, smartboard notebook error message in Technical; Originally Posted by chrbb My new version is 10.6.94.0 - the journey was so emotional I lost the power to ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    My new version is 10.6.94.0 - the journey was so emotional I lost the power to read and write!
    Lol - hmm well gibberish can still be a very effective form of communication and shouldn't be underestimated!

I'm happy a colleague sent me the URL to this thread today it helped us figure out what the problem was. We had a heck of a time replicating this problem until today.

Thank Post
    My new version is 10.6.94.0 - the journey was so emotional I lost the power to read and write!

Says a lot for SMART installs, doesn't it??

Anyway, SMART tech support got back to me to tell me to install the latest version (maybe they were reading this thread!). Interestingly, despite the fact that I told them that I was running version 10.0.123.0, the instructions they sent me involve uninstalling the old version:

"To upgrade your software:

1. Uninstall any previous versions by clicking on:

Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs

Browse through the list and remove any previous version including:

- Notebook Software 10

- SMART Board Software

- SMART Board Drivers

- Senteo

- SMART Response

Note: You may be prompted to reboot your system after uninstalling the software.

2. Follow the link below to download and install the latest version of Notebook 10 and the SMART Board Drivers from our website.

http://smarttech.com/us/Support/Browse+Support/Download+Software"

As I only have 8 staff laptops to deal with (although access to them is a pain and involves my lunch hour being used up!), I may go down the standalone install route and manually turn off auto updates.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post

Interestingly, despite the fact that I told them that I was running version 10.0.123.0.
    That package is extremely old and built on the beta release for SMART Notebook 10 - to be honest you should have upgraded a long time ago. If you remember 10.0.123.0 was released only months after the beta release. The upgrade will remedy the issue. But the problem is not with the installer in this particular case its with the change made to the Learning Marketplace.

In the SMART Notebook 10 initial release we had the Learning Marketplace where clients could purchase content. After a while we decided to change the Learning Marketplace to free content (around service pack 3). The older software packages (such as you had) go to the old Learning Marketplace URL and are re-directed to the new free URL- the newer URL's connect to the new URL. So the older software platforms are getting re-directed.

We had difficulty replicating this problem on our test machines until we did a clean install of Windows and upgraded IE. This led us to finding the change on the server we could make to resolve the issue without upgrading clients (although IMO its extremely recommended - 10.0.123.0 is not a stable package on its own).

I would recommend connecting to SMART chat-support, email support or by phone if you have issues in the future as technical support is free and it can help you get on track faster. Specifically - if you call in for technical support they can look at the problems first-hand and provide a much quicker solution. Issues with releases as old as 10.0.123.0 will be more difficult to resolve as that software package is over a year old which restricts the number of technicians who can provide accurate support. Supports first line of defense is to make sure you are up-to-date as the newer the version - the more recent its been tested.

Cheers,

-ls

Edit: On a plus note - I'm happy its up and running for you now. If you are doing a removal on the systems and need MSIEXEC /x scripts to uninstall 10.0.123.0 (for faster removal) or MSIEXEC /i installation examples don't hesitate to shout. Additionally you can use the SMART Install Manager to create a customized MST (transform). This means --- you do not have to specify all of the options via Command Line commands but through an easier to navigate GUI. The only detail to remember - is that the SMART Product Drivers 10.6 require Visual C++ Run-time 2008 - which is included as a subpackage. It must be installed prior to executing SMART Product Drivers or a side-by-side configuration error will occur because the systems run-time will be out of date.

For 8 installs - that might be a bit much. I do use MSIEXEC scripts on one of our smaller labs (~10 machines) to quickly remove and update the software. But its because I need to re-install the software every few weeks to reverse all changes made during testing.
    Last edited by KermEd; 8th July 2010 at 02:40 PM.

Thank Post
    I've installed my updates using the method on the other thread mentioned earlier, worked OK. Will probably visit each laptop to set it going as it's also a chance to inspect said laptops!

Thank Post
    I've installed my updates using the method on the other thread mentioned earlier, worked OK. Will probably visit each laptop to set it going as it's also a chance to inspect said laptops!
    Awesome,

Well - If you hit any more bumps with it, just post in here and I can help you get it figured out

Cheers!

Thank Post
    KermEd, thanks for the input. There have been quite a few threads on Edugeek in the past about SMARTboard installs, and some of the problems we have had. As a representative of SMART technologies, maybe you would be interested in setting up a link from the Direct Support tab above. If you scroll down the Direct Support page, there is a Contact Us link that will email the Edugeek admin. I appreciate you already have online chat available on your support website, but a lot of us use this forum as our first port of call, and it would save going separately to another site for support.

And I will upgrade. I upgrade as little as possible with SMARTboard laptops as they are difficult to get access to, the install takes a long time, and there are numerous postings on here about the problems others have had with installs. And I'm only part time. Just so you know. Glad sending the link to this thread helped you work through the issue.

Thank Post
    Hey Andie,

I totally understand. I've put through a request for both myself and another colleague - we will see how it works out. Unfortunately out of the two of us - he's more likely to be able to dedicate time as my work fluctuates constantly.

Thanks for the suggestion (new to edugeek).

Thank Post
    Yes I'll second Andie's comments, KermEd thanks for the input, would be very useful if you could keep your eye open for smartboard problem posts it does save us a lot of time just having support in one place. We'll try to keep them good tempered - although sometimes we have such a hard time with some educational software you'll have to excuse us if we occassionally sound a bit rattled!

I have to say though that using the script from the smartboard thread mentioned previously, the whole thing took about 10 minutes on an old laptop using a wireless connection to the files on the server, so quite pleased with that!

Thank Post
    Thank you - I don't mind.

Believe me I have my own disadvantages with my temperament when I'm annoyed / frustrated and I never hold that against anyone. And everyone so far seems to be happy (or maybe slightly annoyed) but certainly not hostile. Which makes sense because when things aren't working it is definitely annoying - especially when you guys have multiple systems (and ultimately multiple users) to deal with each time.

I'm glad the updates have worked well for everyone and I have brought one of our other senior tech's into edugeek with me. This way we aren't relying entirely on one individual as well and we can hopefully provide some faster feedback when these things pop up for you guys. I'm a firm believer in transparency, if I can't fix it at least I can do my best to help or explain it.

10. 2 Thanks to KermEd:

Andie (10th July 2010), chrbb (9th July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12