+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Advice for Music workstations in Technical; We've finally got a music teacher that is keen to develop the use of ICT in music so I need ...

Thank Post

Advice for Music workstations

We've finally got a music teacher that is keen to develop the use of ICT in music so I need to start thinking about the hardware she will require. She wants to use Sibelius and midi keyboards and I reckon that stand-alone machines would be most appropriate.

Any advice?
    eg: how powerful do machines need to be ..... Processor, Ram, HDD size.
    What SoundCard? etc

All advice gratefully received

Thank Post

Re: Advice for Music workstations

We use networked machines in music and we have Sibelius. Get the network edition it saves a lot of hassel! You run a local licensing server. Just your everyday P4 with at half a gig of ram should be more than comfortable.

Thank Post

we bought macs, there not networked just administred per classroom by apple remote dekstop2, they do have internet access though.

Power Macs dual processor 2.0ghz - sadly purchased before intel motherboards. 2gb ram, 2 x 250gb hard drive, garageband, reason and Qubase, also for Art they have photoshop etc

work very well but staff needed a lot of traning and support to get them off the ground.

Thank Post

Cheers,

Have opted for stand-alone machines for the following reasons:

1. Cost of networking Music room. Nearest Switch is full so would need additional switch plus cabling etc. Not worth it at present.

2. Music room not used much. Networked machines would result in some teachers "sending" kids there to "get on with their work as they need computers to do it" ........ unsupervised and you can guess which kids would be sent!!! No point in sending them if they cannot access their work.

Any ideas re Sound Cards?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts

We have the E-MU 0404 in our music pc's.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

Intel iMacs authenticating against the network, about to stick ARD3 on to make life easier and Sibelius too ...

Presently they are just using Garageband and Audacity ... and loving it.

During the summer we will stick Logic Express on and we have beenusing Atomic Learning as a way of training staff and students.

Thank Post

We currently run a music suite with a mixture of iMacs (G5 and Intel), and have two studios with Quad G5 setups in them thats used for the 'hardcore' editing and recording. Running Sibelius and Logic Pro. The iMacs are running with 1GB, and the Quads are running with 2 or 3... i forget off the top of my head. They're generally managed by the music technician, who only comes to me when something goes drastically wrong.

Thank Post

1 suite of iMacs for Sibelius and Cubase. 1 suite of PCs for Sibelius and Cubasis.

The machine are networked for access to network files and for printing. You WILL get pissed off registering Sibelius if you go down the standalone route! The teaching staff will also demand printing ability and the ability to move work around from machine to machine.

Thank Post

Logic hates working with networked home directories, btw. I've spoken to Apple on this and basically the response was 'yes, yes it does.'

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Networked Machines are a must, in the short term, network them locally to each other for Sibelius, it is a PITA to do it one by one, i've been there and its no fun.

I have AMD 3800+ X2s, 512 ram, 80Gb HDD, and Creative Sounblaster Audigy cards with front bays.

Midi Keyboards, its worth remembering that Vista does NOT support midi / game ports end of so you want to be getting USB MIDI keyboards not ones that use the MIDI / Game port adapters.

Thank Post

@AshF: I have local home drives and the Windows network share mounted so that work can be done locally and backed up to the network.

Thank Post

we use m-audio ozone and ozonic keyboards as sound cards as the have everything built in. Makes life so much easier.

I would be really cautious about networking music software computers. I ended up doing a seperate domain with far less security as all the software wanted to add stuff to user registry c: drive etc and then handed it over to the music tech to manage.

Thank Post

Heres a free asio driver to get people going. Obviously it isnt as good as having a real asio soundcard but its still very reasonable. Ive had 21ms latency from it, which is quite comparable to some of the cheaper soundcards. That was on an alright system though.

http://www.asio4all.com/

System requirements for music apps - The min spec used to be relatively high, now HW has caught up it isnt. You can quite easily get Cubase, Reason, FLStudio etc running on a Athlon/Pentium + 1gb RAM (even without an ASIO soundcard!).
    You really really dont need some Dual core + 2gb ram, mirrored HD system, unless you plan on having 50+ tracks playing at once.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    1 suite of iMacs for Sibelius and Cubase. 1 suite of PCs for Sibelius and Cubasis.

The machine are networked for access to network files and for printing. You WILL get pissed off registering Sibelius if you go down the standalone route! The teaching staff will also demand printing ability and the ability to move work around from machine to machine.
    We have a suite of networked PC's with Cubase & Sibelius on. The trouble I had (and boy did I have plenty of that) - was that Cubase & Sibelius didn't seem to retain settings, so I ended up giving local admin permissions to users on those PCs which I think has resolved some issues.

Did anyone else have a problem with a networked suite of Cubase machines with a "locked" down desktop environment, roaming profiles, etc.?

baronne

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts

Cubase seems to work fine for us.

Our setup is a shuttle pc with an EMU-404 soundcard.
    17" neovo hard glass monitor
    Tapco Mix 50 mini mixer
    Yamaha keyboard with usb midi out.

The Tapco enable the connections to all the analogue connections on the emu-404's to be brought into play more easily.

The keyboards are plugged into the mixer and the input/ouput from the sound card is as well. They also have a tape input and microphone/line input free for outside sources.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast