+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Advice for Music workstations in Technical; We're running Cubase SX3 on our music PC's. We've been struggling to decide what's best with regard to sounds cards ...
    Thank Post

Re: Advice for Music workstations

We're running Cubase SX3 on our music PC's. We've been struggling to decide what's best with regard to sounds cards though we're pretty happy that pretty much any modern PC (=>P4,>512MB RAM ,etc)seems capable of running the software.
    The main trick seems to be getting the correct sound card and that's where we've been running into problems. We've tried soundblaster 1024!live cards which aren't support by ASIO for all and as a result have really bad latency. The Terratec Aureon 7.1 Universe card on the teachers PC works really well and has native ASIO drivers but costs >£100 and seems like overkill. I've tried buying a cheaper £25 Aureon 5.1 Fun card and whilst this works OK with ASIO4ALL there's still a slight latecy as it still doesn't come with a dedicated option you get with the Aureon 7.1.
    I think the main problem is that I dont know much when it comes to MIDI/music editing and neither does our music department so we're struggling to get to grips with the exact hardware we need for what they want to do. I don't think they're very sure exactly what they'll be using the software for either which complicates things further!
    We've got a lab of 12 computers fitted with Soundblaster!Live1024 cards that we've pretty much given up on trying to get to work with Cubase so we're looking into buying a dozen new soundcards. Can anyone recommend a suitable reasonably priced sound card with dedicated ASIO drivers/MIDI interface? Or should we just bit the bullet and purchase more expensive audio cards?

Thank Post

do you have them all networked on a domain with group policies, etc?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by baronne
    do you have them all networked on a domain with group policies, etc?
    Yes, They're running on a domain with the pupils/staff locked down with only basic permissions/ standard non-admin user accounts and it all works fine. The only real problem we've encounteed is that we've had to manually install the Cubase software as it comes with drivers for the hardware dongle to allow the software to run. Bit of a headache but it wasn't too bad as it's only a dozen PC's.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis
    We're running Cubase SX3 on our music PC's. We've been struggling to decide what's best with regard to sounds cards though we're pretty happy that pretty much any modern PC (=>P4,>512MB RAM ,etc)seems capable of running the software.
    The main trick seems to be getting the correct sound card and that's where we've been running into problems. We've tried soundblaster 1024!live cards which aren't support by ASIO for all and as a result have really bad latency. The Terratec Aureon 7.1 Universe card on the teachers PC works really well and has native ASIO drivers but costs >£100 and seems like overkill. I've tried buying a cheaper £25 Aureon 5.1 Fun card and whilst this works OK with ASIO4ALL there's still a slight latecy as it still doesn't come with a dedicated option you get with the Aureon 7.1.
    I think the main problem is that I dont know much when it comes to MIDI/music editing and neither does our music department so we're struggling to get to grips with the exact hardware we need for what they want to do. I don't think they're very sure exactly what they'll be using the software for either which complicates things further!
    We've got a lab of 12 computers fitted with Soundblaster!Live1024 cards that we've pretty much given up on trying to get to work with Cubase so we're looking into buying a dozen new soundcards. Can anyone recommend a suitable reasonably priced sound card with dedicated ASIO drivers/MIDI interface? Or should we just bit the bullet and purchase more expensive audio cards?

Go for the M-Audio 2496 - a great card for around £50...

Thank Post

Cheers for the advice. I've had a couple of other folk recommend this card so we'll get one in to see if the music staff are happy with it.
    Just to add I've checked and we're currently running Cubase SX 2.0 (NOT SX3) on the network.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Higher end Creative stuff is what I use, SB Live Platinumn etc, I would now go for the X-Fi's, as the drivers seem to be much better now, and they should nativly support ASIO

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12