+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Broken laptop screen in Technical; Has anyone ever managed to get a warranty repair on a laptop screen that "just broke" (not dropped etc - ...

Thank Post

Broken laptop screen

Has anyone ever managed to get a warranty repair on a laptop screen that "just broke" (not dropped etc - honest!)?

Has anyone even had this happen?

Hints & tips appreciated...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Had dell replace a couple with no problems.

3. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

LeMarchand (21st June 2010)

Thank Post
    TBH I'd be surprised as there must have been some form of pressure to cause the issue, now if there was a defect in the screen that meant the pressure could have been alot lesss before failure is a different question, however, getting that proven is another question, just out of intrest whats the make manufacturer?

5. Thanks to buzzard from:

Thank Post
    We had one with a dodgy inverter - it died within a few weeks of purchase. Pretty sure it was a Dell Latitude - it was replaced on warranty - no quibble

I've also had an HP delivered with a dodgy hdd. They were crap on the phone, but once I'd played the waiting 10 minutes to be transferred 100 times, they also repaired with no charge.

I believe you get a 1 year manufacturers warranty on all hardware and suppliers are obliged to honour it - it doesn't even cost them, because they claim from manufacturers, so they're normally happy enough. The only trouble I've ever had is with extended warranties - some companies try their best to avoid honouring those!!

7. Thanks to Tyiell from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
    TBH I'd be surprised as there must have been some form of pressure to cause the issue, now if there was a defect in the screen that meant the pressure could have been alot lesss before failure is a different question, however, getting that proven is another question, just out of intrest whats the make manufacturer?
    That was my thinking (hopefully the owner will take a bit more care in the future - though as they left their last machine on a seat in the staffroom and returned to find it dented on the floor, maybe not). It's a Dell, so SYSMAN's reply gives me a bit of hope...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    We had one with a dodgy inverter - it died within a few weeks of purchase. Pretty sure it was a Dell Latitude - it was replaced on warranty - no quibble

I've also had an HP delivered with a dodgy hdd. They were crap on the phone, but once I'd played the waiting 10 minutes to be transferred 100 times, they also repaired with no charge.
    Sorry, should have made it clear; I've yet to see the machine, but it sounds like a cracked screen rather than a hardware fault. Though I'd best check...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had one that whilst I was repairing a software fault the screen just cracked. I felt the screen, and it was burning hot, so I could only assume far too much power was going to it.

11. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    We have had a number of DELL Laptop screens replaced under warranty, the defects were not related to cracks or leakage though.

We once tried to crack a screen as a test by deliberately mishandling (it was from a very old, broken system destined for WEEE disposal). it took a lot of effort, much more than we expected.

Thank Post
    I secretly suspect user damage, but at least it doesn't sound like it would be impossible to get sorted under warranty (they've had them less than a week!).

Thank Post
    Also had Dell replace two on the same laptop within warranty - no problem

Dell also replaced a screen that failed 2 months after the warranty expired (XPS M530). Took me a while to persuade them to fix it though!

rad
    Thank Post
    If its a Dell, you can try and get them to send you a replacement part and you to fit it yourself. Other manufacturers you have to send it away for them to fix. I have had an HP laptop that was sent to Europe, and then back via DHL (or whoever) and no doubt cos in postage alone

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Other manufacturers you have to send it away for them to fix. I have had an HP laptop that was sent to Europe, and then back via DHL (or whoever) and no doubt cos in postage alone
    Pretty sure that HP will have done sums which say "it costs x more to ship to/from country X than to ship within the UK but wages are y lower so the total bill is less" and, just sneaking in politics for a bit, that's partly why there are so many unemployed people in the UK - they get paid more than people elsewhere in Europe or Asia and multinationals like HP can make bigger profits by not using UK employees.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others say if its Dell you will be ok. I have had many dell laptop keybaords replaced when the students pull the keys off.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread