+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, iPads in Technical; Hi We recently bought 6 iPad's to trial in school, but we have a problem in that, when we go ...
    Thank Post

iPads

Hi

We recently bought 6 iPad's to trial in school, but we have a problem in that, when we go to the App Store on the iPad's, choose an app, press install, it as asks for the Apple ID password, then returns to the home screen, to start the download, but then comes up with the messages, "Cannot connect to iTunes Store, OK"

We have tried various Wifi points in the school, different levels on Encryption, but it wont download anything, browsing the Web is fine, receiving mail is fine. The iPad's and App Store work's at home no problem.

We can browse and download apps via iTunes on a Macbook fine then Sync them to the iPads. iPhones and iPod Touches seem fine also within school. It is just the iPads the won't download apps.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem we are on EMBC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I was given an iPad to play with too. I can't say I've had the problem you describe, however I appear to have problems connecting to secure sites behind a Birmingham (BGFL) proxy server.

If I connect outside school both standard and secure websites work fine. The iPad doesn't have a firewall. Has anyone managed to connect to secure sites behind a proxy server using an iPad?

Thank Post
    Same thing used to happen when we update our macs in school , the proxys prevents anything going into Apple.

Thank Post
    a teacher here had a similar issue with their iphone, something to do with the search domain in the network settings? I think it had to be empty rather than our domain name that it seems to want to fill in automatically.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Think there was another thread about macs and the itunes store and they had to add a few specific websites in the allowed list on the proxy server, that and apple also has a few knowledge bases about which ports to allow ie 443, 80 and some other ones for the itunes store etc

Mac & Netsweeper
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 19th June 2010 at 06:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies. The strange thing is that we've tested an iPhone side by side with an iPad (same settings). The iPhone connects to any site but the iPad won't connect to anything secure behind the proxy.

a teacher here had a similar issue with their iphone, something to do with the search domain in the network settings? I think it had to be empty rather than our domain name that it seems to want to fill in automatically.
    I'm trying to think why the domain itself would be relevant as the iPhone/iPad are not talking to the domain, only the WAPs (which allocates an IP using DHCP) then talks to the proxy. As I say it works fine for normal or unsecured traffic, just not secure traffic.

Ports 80 and 443 must be open as secure sites work fine on XP using IE8, FF3.x and I even tried Safari 5 and all connect fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is an OS update tomorrow, might be worth running that to see if fixes it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the problems is that you will find pretty much all LAs and RBCs will say all outbound web traffic *has* to go via their proxies (usually for very good reasons) and so any request for opening of port 80 will be turned down.

I will be raising it for EMBC on Tuesday with Synetrix and we'll see where we go from there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Has there been any updates on this?

My iPhone works absolutely perfectly on the school network, but my iPad has continual hissy fits when asked to stream anything. Therefore YouTube and Google Earth are complete no go areas for my iPad, which is pretty disappointing.

iPad behaves itself perfectly at home though, and I'm really liking it as a general rule, but not being able to stream is causing some grief. If its a port issue, I very much doubt our LA will open it up, and I'm not sure I would ask them to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the outcome from yesterday was that i need to look at the outgoing ports list for the firewall and compare it with the extra stuff the iPad wants too. Then I will raise a technical change request to get the extra ports added in, followed by chatting with Karl to get it tested.

The other thing to look at is how it deals with the proxy too ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks GrumbleDook, it's not killer (as I'm using my iPad to reply to this thread!) but would be a barrier to using the iPad in school should the SEN department show an interest.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One thing I will be trying is to connect the iPad via a VPN link and see how it fares then as some have suggested that this will enable it to work as expected. I'm not holding out much hope, but will report back regardless.

Thank Post
    In discussion with BGFL yesterday who were very helpful - it is a port related problem. The iPad seems to use a whole range of ports for a whole range of applications/features, which makes it very impractical to work behind a proxy. By opening up ports you potentially increase the threat of malware and viruses, so there's good reason why LAs apply these rules. It certainly helps to keep school networks clean and running well.

On top of that the iPad doesn't have a firewall and no AV software. Apple targeted viruses are on the rise and I think Apple themselves are a little naive to think otherwise! All being well the HP Slate will be based on Windows 7, so in theory it should behave like any other Windows device.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information. It's a shame that the iPad will be limited like that, especially as the iPhone doesn't have the same restrictions.

I thought the HP slate had been canned? I seem to remember reading that in PC Pro...

Thank Post
    Ok We've brought a couple of Ipads to test the logistics of using them in the classroom. I just trying to get the processes right in my head. If we had 20 iPads and a teacher came to me with an App they wanted to put on them, what would the process of deploying the app to the devices be?

1. is there a multiple docking station?
    2. Would the students need thei own Apple ID?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information