+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Dell or HP in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK HP for servers and desktops, I have had a bad run with Dells, they can't all ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    HP for servers and desktops, I have had a bad run with Dells, they can't all be as bad as the ones that I have ended up dealing with.
    Just quickly checked our helldesk, with 520 Dell desktops we've had 6 hardware faults in total in the last 5 years, out of 120 laptops 3 hardware faults in the same period excluding some batteries which had expired out of warranty (8 of them), no server faults at all. Every single one was repaired with 1 working day.
    HP - out of 60 desktops, 17 hardware faults, quickest repaired next day, longest took 23 days. Laptops, out of 20, 7 faults, quickest repaired in 4 days, longest took 7 months. HP Switches, 4 switch hardware faults, 3 replaced within 2 days, one took 17 days as their support techs were being useless, also had 5 mini-gbic fibre modules fail.

Thank Post
    I have no brand loyalty in terms of desktops or laptops but find i can never get Dell's pricing to match HP in terms of like for like kit, i.e recently the HP elite 8100 vs the OptiPlex 980 was about 80 per unit in favour of HP (same motherboards/ chipset, processor, RAM, warranty etc). In terms of reliability i brought 150 odd Lenovo M58's last year and have not had a single niggle and the build quality is excellent, that said i would not buy them again as they messed as around with delivery dates. Switches Procurve all the way, some of the Dells look good on paper but you must keep warranties up to scratch to get software updates & servers there isnt alot between Dell & HP although Dell's line up does seem to cater on the face of it more to virtualized environments.

Thank Post
    We're in the same position as teejay, 605 Dell Desktops we have had 2 Motherboards, both Ultra Small Form Factors and both refused to detect DVD drives, and one HDD. All were replaced next business day. Of the 50 Dell laptops we have had one motherboard failure, suspect water spill after seeing the state of the chassis, but Dell replaced no questions asked and one LCD inverter failed, again both next working day.

I inherited 56 HP desktops, without any extended warranty and they cost loads in replacement part before I swapped them out with Dells last summer.
    We have a mix of Dell HP and IBM servers, in terms of reliability we have had no problems with either the Dells or HP units, but the IBMs have been really temperamental, and Parts take days to turn up. We have 4hr engineer on site response on the Dell servers and next day telephone support on the HP and IBM servers.

I have a great relationship with my Dell Account team, I get invites to all their technical seminars (luckily only 20 minute drive to their offices from home) and last week we went to their Executive Briefing Centre, to have a play with their new technology, including the Dell Streak, before it’s official release date. But it’s their support that I have found sells it for me, even with the issues of the Indian call centre, we have found that the email support, gets around the queuing and language problems.

Hope it doesn't sound too soap boxy....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    I have no brand loyalty in terms of desktops or laptops but find i can never get Dell's pricing to match HP in terms of like for like kit, i.e recently the HP elite 8100 vs the OptiPlex 980 was about 80 per unit in favour of HP (same motherboards/ chipset, processor, RAM, warranty etc). In terms of reliability i brought 150 odd Lenovo M58's last year and have not had a single niggle and the build quality is excellent, that said i would not buy them again as they messed as around with delivery dates. Switches Procurve all the way, some of the Dells look good on paper but you must keep warranties up to scratch to get software updates & servers there isnt alot between Dell & HP although Dell's line up does seem to cater on the face of it more to virtualized environments.
    Yes, agree on the switches, the HP Procurves are far superior to the Dell ones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I would take Dell over HP any day on everything but switches, although I have my gripes over ProCurve as well (two warranty replacements in the last 6 months, the latest one took 3 WEEKS for them to ship the replacement due to stock issues).

I don't like HP's product design much - they seem to have a fetish for using as many different sizes of screws as possible, and in quantities that are about 3 times higher than the equivalent Dell computer would use. As someone who has to sometimes take apart said machines, that annoys me a lot.

On the support side, every single time I have called an HP support number that wasn't for ProCurve, I have had astronomically bad service. I understand from the above posts that this isn't typical, but it's been pretty consistent for me. Dell support has been so good to me that I cannot recall a single instance in more than 4 years that I have been dissatisfied with them.

On the flipside, Dell's schools account team are sometimes very hard to work with. Account manager quality seems to very greatly. If you go the Dell route, I would recommend either going through a reseller, or getting Premier Page access sorted for your account as a priority to make life a lot easier on yourself.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 7th June 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Dell support

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HP here. Good pricing, good support in my experience. I've never actually had to phone them for support - I always use their support website to submit tickets, and 90% of the time, they organise collection of faulty devices next day without question. The other 10% of the time required clarifications of my requests, followed by them sorting out the replacements etc...

Thank Post
    Server - moving to all HP (great support from the 1 call I've made)
    Desktops - Stone (good after sales for years)
    Laptops - Stone / HP (both had issues)
    Switches - Cisco (under a support contract)

Never used Dell - yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    HP any day

Currently moving to HP Desktops campus wide
    Already have HP Laptops where we have them
    All new Servers have been HP since I started
    Switches are Netgear and Cisco mixed
    Media Converters are Allied Tesyis

Thank Post
    I'm a Dell fan tbh....

We've got a mix of Dell Optiplex 755/760's and older G/SX240/260/280's. In fairness the older kit has its niggles but nothing that a well placed whack can't fix. I've only had two 755's fail in three years and they we're replaced next business day.

I've also got 70 HP DX5150's that give no end of problems. They were purchased prior to my starting and on had 12 months warranty . So far 10 have had motherboard failures and 3 hard drives. I'm finding that they like to overheat... a lot. even when they've been air dustered too.

Servers are a mix of HP Proliant and Dell Poweredge and our switches are all Cisco.

Ross

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Server - moving to all HP (great support from the 1 call I've made)
    Wow - you're putting ALL your trust in one good support call?!

@OP: We have HP and Dell servers here. Both work fine, but Dell was better value for money. Wouldn't buy HP workstations again after a bad experience with a class load of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    HP for switches. Dell for PCs. (bit pricey though) I have 33 Dells that are now 5 years old and have only had two faults in all that time. I must admit, I buy from a reseller so I don't know about Dell sales, but I have never had a problem with the support and have found them very helpful. Then again, I haven't rung them for a long time due to the relibility of their product so that may have all changed!
    I am looking at new machines ATM and I cannot afford the Dells this time - so probably unbadged or HP

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12