+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Server CPU Temp at 87c! in Technical; It wont run for that Xeon chip...

Thank Post
    It wont run for that Xeon chip

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Does sound a bit high :-)

We have a threshold temp of 35C; above that alarms go off and people fix things ASAP (I know that there was a problem last night, for example)

You need to get some of this: TROX | Data Centres

The liquid CO2 cooling basically puts an extra "door" behind your server racks. This contains the liquid CO2 coolant and so air drawn through it is cooled. It's much more efficient than blowing air randomly into a server room and hoping some of it gets to the servers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Assuming the sensors are correct this is probably the break down of the thermal compound between the CPU and its heatsink. Over time and with moisture or contaminants this compound does break down and no longer conducts heat properly to the heatsink.

First remove the old compound (Arctic Silver do a great cleaning product ArctiClean by Arctic Silver) and then apply some new high performance thermal compound to the CPU. This should better thermally link the CPU and heatsink allowing the fans and cold air to cool it properly.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

CHR1S (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Does sound a bit high :-)

We have a threshold temp of 35C; above that alarms go off and people fix things ASAP (I know that there was a problem last night, for example)

You need to get some of this: TROX | Data Centres

The liquid CO2 cooling basically puts an extra "door" behind your server racks. This contains the liquid CO2 coolant and so air drawn through it is cooled. It's much more efficient than blowing air randomly into a server room and hoping some of it gets to the servers!
    Server Racks? The servers sit in a store room, no aircon .....

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Assuming the sensors are correct this is probably the break down of the thermal compound between the CPU and its heatsink. Over time and with moisture or contaminants this compound does break down and no longer conducts heat properly to the heatsink.

First remove the old compound (Arctic Silver do a great cleaning product ArctiClean by Arctic Silver) and then apply some new high performance thermal compound to the CPU. This should better thermally link the CPU and heatsink allowing the fans and cold air to cool it properly.
    The heatsink is red hot to the touch, I just think the ambient temperature for the room is just too much for the type of server, with it being a rackmount (minus the rack and proper cooling)

Thank Post
    What is the ambient temperatuture in your room? If its 30 or more then yes you just need to get air con!!

If ambient is low (under 25) it could indicate a problem with the cpu fan / heatsink itself.

Butuz

7. Thanks to Butuz from:

CHR1S (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Ambient temperature is 20c, server temps are as follows -

1 IO Board 34 C
    2 CPU 63 C
    4 Power Supply 25
    5 System 24 C

Thank Post
    Echoing SYNACK's suggestion here. Try applying some new thermal paste. You need to remove possible problems before isolating the fault. You'd be suprised at the heat build up caused by crumbly old thermal solution, especially the stock stuff. Clean it off and throw some Arctic Silver on it, or equivalent, and see if it makes a difference. Your other temperatures seem to be within reasonable operating ranges, so I would look at the heatsink/cpu contact first. If there's more than one server in that room, and no others are throwing up overheating errors, then it points to the individual machine's cooling efficiency. Ambient temperature is fine.

10. Thanks to Mako from:

CHR1S (25th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Ok, will give the thermal compound a go and report back.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Please ensure you take photo's of your injuries. I doubt they'll help much in your legal case, but if you post them up here we'll be sure to get a laugh out of them =P
    Oh, I dunno - I'm sure pictures of the 'Intel Inside' tongue tatoo will make for some pretty compelling evidence

Thank Post
    Well, I stripped and cleaned the CPU and HS then applied the Arctic Silver 5 and set it all back up again. It seems to idle at 65c and with less than 1 minute of prime95 it went mental hit 87c and was still climbing and shut down

Going to let it settle over night then check the compound tomorrow and re-apply etc. as required.

Thank Post
    Is the heat sink sitting flush up to the top of the chip, remove it and you will be able to tell due to the marks the thermal paste has left behind.

If not it may be a new chip as this one sounds as though its screwed, either that or theres a voltage problem and the mobo is supplying too much juice, have you checked your voltages in BIOS?

D

Thank Post
    I had a brain wave last night, when I was redoing the paste I noticed that with it being single CPU that the second socket was free and we all know stuff likes to take the path of least resistance decided to block off the CPU socket.

Now with the air being forced through the heatsink instead of the free socket its an amazing 15c cooler!!

Piece of cardboard 1 - HP Server 0

Thank Post
    Good idea, but has it really solved your issues, are there other underlying problems that could escalate if left untouched, if so you may have a dead server on your hands one day if your guna call it fixed by using a bit of cardboard!?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the 3.4Ghz Irwindale is the same generation/slight revision of the Pentium 4 Prescott branded a Xeon. These always ran incredibly hot and are comparably poor compared to newer Xeon's or Core 2 Duo/Quad.

As already suggested re-applying thermal paste may improve the temperature, but you may also want to consider a larger heatsink + fan. The heatsink can make a huge difference.

Thank Post
    Yep your correct they are the offspring of the Prescott Core.

A slightly updated core called "Irwindale" was released in early 2005, with 2 MB L2 cache and the ability to have its clock speed reduced during low processor demand. Both of these Prescott-derived Xeons have the product code 80546

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast