+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Server Upgrades - Potential Trip Hazards... in Technical; I am looking at upgrading a lot of hardware in coming days, weeks, months. When I say days, I refer ...

Thank Post

Server Upgrades - Potential Trip Hazards...

I am looking at upgrading a lot of hardware in coming days, weeks, months. When I say days, I refer to planning.

We currently run Windows 2000 as log on server, but also have a Windows 2008 Server running Exchange connected to the domain. I am looking at removing the Windows 2000 Server, and replacing with a W2K3 server or W2K8 RC2 server (unsure which at this moment in time).

I will be bulk exporting / importing the user accounts, moving data to a seperate file server (running xcacls and the likes).

What will be the best way to go about this implementation, unsure if to give the server the same name / IP and turn old off & new one on in the same day. Or possibly build the new one on a totally new domain and add all machine to the new domain (unsure of implications on Exchange here).

The aim is to start a fresh, lots of small issues causing a lot of grief - servers have been worked on by several ICT staff all adding their own "quirks" also are 6/7 years old.

Look forward to some helpful replies!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally I would build an entirely new domain, completely set up how you want it, on Server 2008 R2. It is backwards compatible with XP so there is no issue, and it is future proofed for atleast 3 - 5 years until they roll out Server 2013 (which is apparently the next build!).

Exchange should not be affected unless you have domain trusts set up, in which case you just need to rebuild the trusts and re map the exchange server on peoples accounts.

I did this last summer and have not regretted it. True it took me until March to get the bugs worked out but now they have been worked out, I have had a faultless curriculum domain! I intend to do the same to the admin domain in the summer and switch everything over (apart from SIMS!).

Thank Post
    We're single network here, SIMs has a dedicated (old) server. I feel this will be part of the upgrade and have a single server doing the lot. I'm a little aprehensive about exchange as I've never administered it before... I'll soon learn I'm sure!

Heads up or any pointers for Server 2008 R2 then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Set up group policy properly or you will have problems, and make sure to set all shares to be hidden otherwise even without admin access anyone can get to any drive!! I learnt that the hard way!

Also try to have a physical deter with dual quad core and 16gb RAM so you can virtualised your server a bit (for redundancy).

If you want I can see if I can export my student GPO and send you a copy, or atleast the report from it!

Thank Post
    a report of your student / staff GPOs would be really helpful - if you don't wish to be posted in public you can email (sig).

Thank you!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread