+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Hardware Thread, 2010 A3 Ink jet Recommendations in Technical; Once again I am looking for a decent A3 Ink Jet Printer for the Technology Dept. The HP K8600 we ...
  1. #1
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,999
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 280 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    106

    2010 A3 Ink jet Recommendations

    Once again I am looking for a decent A3 Ink Jet Printer for the Technology Dept. The HP K8600 we got last year has not been well received. We have a 2800DTN in another room that is still running strong so I am looking for something that is going to be reliable. They need ink jet for the packaging they make as as toner just crumbles when creased/folded etc.

    Cheers

    Chris

  2. #2
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,485
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    I've got my eye on a Brother DCP6690CW, networked A3 printer and scanner for about 250.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    500
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    We have some great offer on Brother at the minute and if you are interested in the DCP6690CW I can do these for 210.00 ex vat at the minute with free delivery!! . If you want full specs drop me an email.

  4. #4
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Epson Photo 1400's seem to have stayed the course rather well and because they have been around for a while now there's everything you need to install CIS systems, waste kits and reset waste counters so maintenance, consumables, etc... can be kept low...

    I wouldn't touch anything HP now.... quality, especially in drivers has gone downhill and the switch to pigment inks in the 8500, etc... means the printheads clog in most school environments...

  5. #5

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,623
    Thank Post
    1,240
    Thanked 777 Times in 674 Posts
    Rep Power
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    The HP K8600 we got last year has not been well received.
    In what way? Ours is going okay - we have it set up to print A3 on paper and acetate. It proved fiddly to switch between A4 and A3 (A4 paper, for some reason, needed to be put slightly away from the edge of the paper guide to feed in straight - fiddly) so we have another A4 printer to do A4 prints. It seems to have trouble feeding glossy photo paper properly - glossy stuff seems to stick rather, and the paper feed rollers don't have enough grip on them. I've tried re-coating them with WD-40, but that didn't seem to last very long. We've now taken to using cartridge paper instead of "proper" photo paper, which seems to be working a treat so far and is a lot cheaper.

    We have a 2800DTN in another room that is still running strong so I am looking for something that is going to be reliable.
    The lid on ours proved rather flimsy and broke, leaving the printer giving "lid open" messages the whole time.

    --
    David Hicks

  6. #6

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,517
    Thank Post
    1,494
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Rep Power
    302
    We've just been doing this and after having used some of that Brothers baby A4 models in a local firm, I decided against them as they don't play too well on a full corperate network, they wanted too much junk on each workstation to make them worthwhile, and HPs ink offerings were poor.

    In the end I bought a new HP Colour LaserJet, was a very good price for it and so far so good everyone is happy.

  7. #7
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,999
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 280 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    In what way? Ours is going okay - we have it set up to print A3 on paper and acetate. It proved fiddly to switch between A4 and A3 (A4 paper, for some reason, needed to be put slightly away from the edge of the paper guide to feed in straight - fiddly) so we have another A4 printer to do A4 prints. It seems to have trouble feeding glossy photo paper properly - glossy stuff seems to stick rather, and the paper feed rollers don't have enough grip on them. I've tried re-coating them with WD-40, but that didn't seem to last very long. We've now taken to using cartridge paper instead of "proper" photo paper, which seems to be working a treat so far and is a lot cheaper.



    The lid on ours proved rather flimsy and broke, leaving the printer giving "lid open" messages the whole time.

    --
    David Hicks
    The paper feed has been the biggest pain as well as speed/reliability.

    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    We've just been doing this and after having used some of that Brothers baby A4 models in a local firm, I decided against them as they don't play too well on a full corperate network, they wanted too much junk on each workstation to make them worthwhile, and HPs ink offerings were poor.

    In the end I bought a new HP Colour LaserJet, was a very good price for it and so far so good everyone is happy.
    We have a LJ 5550 in the main classroom which is good for their other stuff but they want ink jet for graphics, for when they are doing packaging as all the toner breaks up when folded etc.

    @Contink

    I would love to hear more about about that setup? Does the network version behave properly with a windows print server (ie not a pain like a HP 2600) and I would like more information on the CIS stuff as well. If you could post/pm the info I would be very grateful.

  8. #8
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    The paper feed has been the biggest pain as well as speed/reliability.
    It always is and in almost all cases it's resolved by using cheap, paper without the finishing residues that more expensive papers use...

    @Contink
    I would love to hear more about about that setup? Does the network version behave properly with a windows print server (ie not a pain like a HP 2600) and I would like more information on the CIS stuff as well. If you could post/pm the info I would be very grateful.
    If you're referring to a Photo 1400 then the printer itself doesn't have a built in printserver that I'm aware of... Any standard Print Server will do the job though or you could hook up to a machine dedicated to them (but enough grandma egg sucking lessons ).

    Regarding CIS's... I'd look to Rihac.co.uk for the kits and me for the inks (subtle self-promotion there doncha think )... but in all seriousness Rihac has excellent documentation and support based primarily in Australia and if you get stuck I know more than is positively healthy so I can always help out too.

    Waste kit wise there is only me (as OctoInkjet) unless you want to pay for cheap shoddy copy cr*p from eBay sellers happy to steal my copy and resell it without the graft (not bitter or anything )

    If you want heavier duty reservoirs I can help with 250ml bottles (with around 210 useable capacity) and some tricks on securing the bottles to avoid most unwanted attention (kids rarely touch them to be honest).

    PM me if you want more intel anyways... On a side note, avoid R1900, R2880, or similar printers unless you want to go to the R3800+ as they cost the earth unless you know where to get the compatible inks and cartridges (which I "might" ).

    Long day... hope that lot makes some sense though...

  9. #9
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,999
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 280 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    106
    Hmm I wanted a all in one solution really regarding the networking. Thanks for the information on the other stuff though I may get back to you on that.

  10. #10


    tom_newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    4,463
    Thank Post
    866
    Thanked 845 Times in 667 Posts
    Rep Power
    195
    @john - they're ok if you don't need scanning on every desktop, there's a MUCH more lightweight (megs, not 100s of megs) driver for just print. Network scanning si a bit of a chore, but other than that, the one that nice vicki lady sent us is a breath of fresh air compared to that poxy poxy %$! lexmark.

    @TcsLtd - go on... quote me up an inexpensive A3 printer (only really need print, and low vol) - the chief accounts wesp (Nic) is getting her own lair soon, and will want to furnish it with something large enough to print the sales analysis in >6pt

  11. #11

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,517
    Thank Post
    1,494
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Rep Power
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    @TcsLtd - go on... quote me up an inexpensive A3 printer (only really need print, and low vol) - the chief accounts wesp (Nic) is getting her own lair soon, and will want to furnish it with something large enough to print the sales analysis in >6pt
    Makes note not to buy any more smoothwall stuff if they need A3 paper and 6pt font to print a months sales on one page

    Back to topic.... Interesting the toner breaking up, never considered that and we are doing boxes on our new HP, wonder if the new ColourSphere toner has less "breakage" than the older stuff in the 5500? I can't remember the model but Vicki at TCSLtd will know it as shes priced me on some toners

  12. #12


    tom_newton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    4,463
    Thank Post
    866
    Thanked 845 Times in 667 Posts
    Rep Power
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Makes note not to buy any more smoothwall stuff if they need A3 paper and 6pt font to print a months sales on one page
    Tell that to accounts wasp! She wants so much detail... she even has a mug that says "I <heart> spreadsheets"!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    500
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 62 Times in 56 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    @john - they're ok if you don't need scanning on every desktop, there's a MUCH more lightweight (megs, not 100s of megs) driver for just print. Network scanning si a bit of a chore, but other than that, the one that nice vicki lady sent us is a breath of fresh air compared to that poxy poxy %$! lexmark.

    @TcsLtd - go on... quote me up an inexpensive A3 printer (only really need print, and low vol) - the chief accounts wesp (Nic) is getting her own lair soon, and will want to furnish it with something large enough to print the sales analysis in >6pt
    Tom do you want an Inkjet?? Glad your pleased with the Brother printer....Gonna have some good deals on Brother Colour lasers for the Edugeek conference..!!

  14. #14
    ChrisH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Lancs
    Posts
    4,999
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 280 Times in 258 Posts
    Rep Power
    106
    One last bump on this. Has anyone got any other recommendations for an A3 Ink jet? We don't mind the more expensive variety as long as it is decent and network ready.

  15. #15
    p858snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    1,490
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 175 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    51
    What type of packaging do they need to print onto?

    Have you thought about giving the department a network attached photocopier and just sticking it in the departmental staffroom?
    * Consolidate their printers into one machine (If wanted)
    * more economical to print (Cost and Toner wise)
    * only need the one set of toner for the department (Unless you keep a standard printer in the classroom)
    * Can hold multiple types of paper sizes (A4, A3 etc)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10th May 2010, 12:47 PM
  2. HP Laser Jet 4300dtn
    By sLiDeR in forum Hardware
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th March 2009, 10:44 AM
  3. US F-18 jet crashes in San Diego
    By DaveP in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th December 2008, 07:46 AM
  4. How To Marshall A Jet...
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th February 2008, 01:24 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •